Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a good way to remove swirl marks? Do I clay, swirl x and then wax, or am I better off biting the bullet and taking it to the body shop to be buffed?

First time taking it through a auto car wash and now my paint looks like it is smudged.

Need some advice please!!!

13 SRT8 PCP Challenger A5, vapor chrome wheels.

·
Registered
2012 challenger srt
1,951 Posts
Is there a good way to remove swirl marks? Do I clay, swirl x and then wax, or am I better off biting the bullet and taking it to the body shop to be buffed?

First time taking it through a auto car wash and now my paint looks like it is smudged.

Need some advice please!!!

13 SRT8 PCP Challenger A5, vapor chrome wheels.
I bought this kit from auto geek. I have a black 2012 Challenger SRT-8. You can see every mark in the paint scratches swirl marks ect. This is easy to use and you cant hurt your paint. No more swirl marks. It will remove scratches too. I bought the Maguire's swirl remover which works much better than what came with the kit.
Porter Cable 7424 & Foam Pad Kit - Car Buffer

·
Registered
59 Posts
if swirls are not too bad you can use a orbital buffer with 3m imperial hand glaze .then remove with a micro fiber towel.then use a good wax like collinite ..

if they are real bad i would go to a professional detail shop and have them buff and reseal paint...

·
Registered
675 Posts
glazes do not correct the clear coat, at most if they have filling agents they will fill the scratches to appear to be fixed but once you wash the glaze off your back to having scratched paint again.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Yes they do have filling agents. But for the
Quick fix for someone who does not know how
To safely remove swirls its the safe alternative
Until they can have a pro take care of it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I am presently engaged in correcting this problem on my 2011 R/T Blackberry. About 2/3 of the way there after approx. 20 man hours. I'll tell you up front, this will be a lot of work to do yourself, and very expensive to pay someone else to do properly. But before I finished up the upper sides today, I was starting to feel like selling the ride at some point; the swirls were just so depressing to see all the time. They made the so-dark-it's-nearly-black metallic cobalt blue look like a boring dark minivan color. Now that it's polished, it looks like a black car with neon-blue trim on the sheen lines.

Corrective steps:
0) Learn to wash and care for the car such that damage is limited going forward

1) Wash with a stripping soap (I use Dawn prior to polishing since it pretty much obliterates any wax remaining)
2) Clay to "scrub" the paint clean of surface junk. Clay is abrasive and will mar the paint, but is much more focused at cleaning the surface of debris than a rag
3) Do the plastic bag test to make sure the claying has sufficiently cleaned the surface (thin sandwich bags work well)
4) Polish with a good polish, pad, and polisher (Meguiar's 105 to start with on bad swirls, and a hearty endorsement of the Porter Cable 7424). I like the Hex-logic pads since they seem to clean up well.
5) Finish polish (Meguiar's 205 for me) to obtain your desired level of sheen
6) Wax/glaze/whatever to protect the surface, since there is no physical way for a coating to do anything but obscure what is beneath it. Fillers and dyes only hide damage at best, and lock it away at worst.

Having done everything above the belt line so far on my car, I am a firm believe of the Junkman2000 way of doing things. The guy has a ton of Youtube videos that are extremely in depth, and fully explain both how and why he does things the way he does. His way made sense, so I tried it, and I have no reason to contradict him at this point.

TCB

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the tips.

I'm currently watching videos and going to start the project Saturday.

Hopefully this doesn't ruin my weekend :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Bodie, are there no pro shops in your area?
I have had a detail shop for 18 yrs Xtreme auto
Detailing on Facebook . I deal with black cars and swirl
Marks alot. To wash, clay, compound, seal
, glaze, wax. Usually takes about 3 hrs and charge
Ranges from 200-250. It's really not a big deal.
Dont you think you could save time and hassle
Using a good shop?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts