Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As you can see from my avatar, I replaced my stock hood with a six pack hood. I waxed my stock hood good, wrapped it in blankets and stored it in the box the aftermarket hood got shipped in. It's sitting in my outside shed right now.

Got to thinking and wondering if I shoulda done anything different. Anyone have any thoughts or ideas on anything I should do different? Should I pull it out periodically and wash/wax it? Like maybe once or twice a year? I want to eventually put it back on, if I ever sell the car.

I figure as long as I keep my paint nice and clean and well cared for, it should still match (or at least I hope).

Mike

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
I would not wrap a piece of painted sheet metal in anything that can trap moisture or give critters a place to nest. As long as it is out of the sun, is kept dry and nothing is allowed to rub against it you will be better off.

My 1970 Challenger lives, uncovered, in the garage and it gets coated big time with dust and light sand for sometimes months at a time. Nothing touches the finish (that was applied in 1987) and all it needs to look perfect is a wash job.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I would not wrap a piece of painted sheet metal in anything that can trap moisture or give critters a place to nest. As long as it is out of the sun, is kept dry and nothing is allowed to rub against it you will be better off.

X2:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmmm..Good point but unfortunately, I don't have enough storage space to make sure it doesn't get dinged or scratched.. wish I did, so I have to protect it somehow.

Given that fact, what's the next best approach?

Mike

·
Banned
675 Posts
threw blankets over mine and just put it in the basement, if I was storing it outside I'd wax it, and get a motorcycle cover and put it over it to keep the sap, sun, and bird poop off of it

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Hmmm..Good point but unfortunately, I don't have enough storage space to make sure it doesn't get dinged or scratched.. wish I did, so I have to protect it somehow.

Given that fact, what's the next best approach?

Mike

Does the shed have rafters? Perhaps you could suspend it from the rafters. I have my canoe hanging from the rafters of my carport.

·
Premium Member
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Does the shed have rafters? Perhaps you could suspend it from the rafters. I have my canoe hanging from the rafters of my carport.
Thought about that but it's too low. It's only a 6 foot shed. Looks like I might be relegated to taking it out of the box every six months or so, wash and wax and then put it back. That should, hopefully minimize the potential issues.

Mike

·
Premium Member
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Maybe I should just leave it in the box without the blankets. I'll pull it out these evening, when it cools down some and unwrap it, and probably put it back in the box. Not much airflow in the box, but if it's not wrapped, it can breath some.

Wish I had a better solution.... wife said I can't hang it from the ceiling in the bedroom

Mike

1 - 10 of 10 Posts