Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my last post I`ve got my pistons in , and hope this weekend torque up the Arp bolts (8740) ok can someone confirm if they have done this ? still a bit confused,
the rod bolts are in and at present just nipped up,First measure the bolt length , set zero on my ARP stretch gauge just torque up to the 95 lbs torque and then check out stretch should be from .0050 to .0054 and if they fall into that area leave alone - continue to the next. Ok I have also been told that using a 7/16th ring end spigot end attached to the bar fit over the 12 point head on the bolt, then place the stretch gauge on and tighten up and see the amount of stretch the bolt goes to (.0050 to .0054)
I am doing this with the engine in the car (dropped the roll bar out and dropped the steering rack down) surprisingly there is space
or just go to the torque of 95 lbs as required
any easier way or help would be really appreciated
As said before quite nervous doing this once only time !!

( 2014 srt8 392 6.4L)

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Torque to your spec and move on. I understand your nervousness trust me. I have had mine out 2 times and spent a bizzilion dollars. ARP is the best. Trust the spec should check them and call it a day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: tony in uk

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
To us1champ Good day to you Question to ask did you use a stretch gauge when you did your Rods ? been trying to do them today,
My God its not easy , trying to get that tolerance of .0050 to .0054 stretch how can this be so little movement on the Gauge you could keep tightening and loosening e few times to that needle on the gauge falls between one little tiny increment on the Gauge its a nightmare!!!!

Or am I reading the gauge wrong !! can you help me or can anybody advise me I am doing this Sunday morning about 9.00am UK time

Would I be safe to Torque between the guided range of 90-100lbs set the torque at 95lb and just do it without stretch gauge
HELP!!

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
i didn't use a stretch guage.. my bolts are arp 2000 that came with the rods. i torqued to arp spec and called it a day. i did use arp ultra torque, just becuase that is what they reccomend

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi us1champ, had a reply from Manley yes I can use ARP Ultra Torque on my 8740 bolts they came with the Rods ,Manley said the Ultra Torque is fine but use the Stretch Gauge, are your Rods made by Manley? when I bought my kit from Arrington they said 8740 bolts are standard supply in there drop in piston kit did you uprate your bolts to 2000

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
I got my rods and pistons from modern muscle they come standard from them
I didn’t use a stretch guage. Just torque them down and move on. You will be fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts