Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack - Frostbite
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About 2 weeks ago, I made a post about cleaning the car with ash on it. I got some really good advice for that, however, I've basically left my dash untouched as I've been busy and haven't had the chance to ask for the interior.

I've had this ash sitting on my dash pretty much since I got the car 3 weeks ago. I've really needed to get around to it, and now have some time to ask for expert advice from ya'll. All this ash has gotten into the car simply from opening/closing the door as the weather and raining hellfire here in California hasn't really accommodated 'windows down' driving yet.

Luckily, because the Challenger is sealed so nicely, no moisture has gotten in, so it's all basically dry, however trying to wipe it dry just smears it.

What's the best way to tackle this as not to trigger the ash turning into lye with moisture?

I have the Maguire's leather wipes, but I'm unsure if the chemicals for the 'leather' portion will have any adverse effect with the ash and do something worse than water. Also, I mean, it's not real/high quality leather, so... also unsure about that.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
My dash is a mess too. Seems to get worse when wiping it. I went with a damp sponge and followed with the Marine Grade 303. Gets dusty fast. Seemed somewhat sticky from day one.
Water Drink Alcohol Shoe

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Why not just use a vaccum cleaner?
It's ash. Not dust. It leaves a ton of residue.

My dash is a mess too. Seems to get worse when wiping it. I went with a damp sponge and followed with the Marine Grade 303. Gets dusty fast. Seemed somewhat sticky from day one.
So, damp sponge to wipe down (a few times, I imagine), and then marine coat or any protectant that I have?

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Yes. Something you used before and are familiar with. I had a helluva time with it.
Post a pic. I’m still not happy with mine. Also don’t get the stitching wet if there is any.

Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Electronics

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes. Something you used before and are familiar with. I had a helluva time with it.
Post a pic. I’m still not happy with mine. Also don’t get the stitching wet if there is any.

This is mine. I hate looking at it, but Im scared as hell to touch it. Lol.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,762 Posts
I honestly think a damp microfiber cloth to wipe it off would be no issue, just like dust. You'll get 95% plus on the first wipe, then use whatever leather cleaner/protectant you like. I'm sure 303 would do no harm as well. Just pull the damp cloth across, no heavy rubbing

A Guy

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,209 Posts
Use a shop vac with the brush nozzle attachment to vacuum the worst off. Then use a soft damp cloth to wipe the vinyl or leather surfaces down.

I use a soft natural bristle paint brush to brush any dust from the dash and center stack to avoid scratching the plastic.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts