Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had my winter tires installed at the shop.
I've been driving on these Nokian Hakkappellitta5 tires for the past 6 winters.
5 of them on my ex-Magnum SXT and since last year on my Challenger R/T.
I personnaly love them but wanted to hear my mechanic(s) opinion.
Here's my visit at the shop:https://youtu.be/WUBEcDDnk84

Also want to hear yours, which winter tires are you on and how do you like them?

·
Registered
588 Posts
I had Nokians on my BMW 740 many years ago. For being a RWD car, I couldn't believe how well the car responded on snow and ice. IMO, these are probably the best winter tires around although a little more pricier.

Last year I put 18" wheels and Michelin Xice on my Challenger. We had a mild winter so there wasn't a lot of snow but the car performed well when we did have some snow.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I've been running Firestone Winterforce on my last three cars (2 Challengers and a Charger), no complaints. They wear well and handle well in Michigan winters.

·
Registered
268 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have been running with Blizzaks for the past 6 winters. They started life on a Charger R/T and now are on my SRT Challenger. Handling, stopping and ride are great. I did have a concern as they are 245/45 R20s that were mounted on 20x8 Rims and the Winter Rims I bought for the Challenger are 20x9. I spoke with Bridgestone and they are rated to a 9 inch rim as they look just a bit stretched. I have about 450 miles on them with the Challenger and all is good.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
After 5 years, decided to use my RT all year round. Picked up Toyo Celsius in 245/45/20 in December. Had mostly slushy snow to drive thru here in Waukesha WI. But the last snowfall I had to get going before the plows came thru. No problem getting thru 5+ inches on unplowed roads. These are "All Weather" not "All Season" tires. No need to switch tires and wheels for summer. They came with a 60K mile warranty. Seem to stop pretty good. Bonus - the ride is way better than the Firestone Firehawks that came with the car. Just putting to out there.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Never put snow tires on the Challenger (3 season driver only), but have had excellent performance with Firestone Winterforce, Cooper Arctic Claw, and Mastercraft Glacier Grip tires on both FWD and AWD vehicles. (Hondas).

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
I'm running the Toyo Observe G3-ice on my Scat Pack in 245/45R20. They grip very good of course, though I feel like they have just a hair less grip than the Michelin X-ice xi2 I had before. They have also gotten more noisy with some wear. But it's a winter tire so some noise is to be expected.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've been running Firestone Winterforce on my last three cars (2 Challengers and a Charger), no complaints. They wear well and handle well in Michigan winters.
I was looking at those but they have an S speed rating. How do they handle at higher speeds?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Haven't used them over 90mph. So faster than that I can't tell you. Half the tire tread is very deep for snow and I can feel a slight vibration from the tread when accelerating around 45-50. Above that I don't notice anything. On occasion when accelerating in the rain I've had to back off.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Oh, its for the challenger ? 🐇
I guess mine are 'Jeeps' .
One has Michelin LTX M/S and the other BF Goodrich KM3 mud terrains 'siped' . They stay soft and grip ice and slush.
yeah , Challenger will only be out spontaneously in the winter, when the conditions are right. when dry and salt has been washed off the road. The Lexus is not driven in the salt or snow. Fluid film is on, under & in the frame, on the Jeeps to protect their frames .

·
Registered
9,098 Posts
I've run the Blizzaks for years on my Town Car and Grand Marquis on all 4 corners.

Can't say enough good about them. Cold and snow, no problems at all. Great rubber compound that grips well in cold weather.

I don't drive my Challenger in the Winter, but if I did, I would go with Blizzaks, just based on how well they worked on those two RWD boats.

Just great traction with them.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts