Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a rear muffler delete on my sxt but want it louder but not over the top obnoxious loud ,so I want to replace the mid resonators with something else, I'm thinking about getting the super 40 or glasspacks, does anyone have either of these? What I'm wondering is which is louder, which sounds better and how the drone sounds inside the cabin, the drone inside my car is already pretty loud with just the rear muffler delete so I'm wondering how it compares to that

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
9,429 Posts
The rear exhaust pieces are there to knock down the drone. Removing them is going to increase the drone inside the cabin. The mid-pipe pieces are the “mufflers” of the exhaust. Many folks choose to remove those and keep the resonators on the end, though that’s really more of a V8 exhaust thing.

The true dual aspect of the 3.6L setup is there to squeeze out a few extra HP at redline, but it hurts the overall sound in most people’s opinion, mine included.

Generally speaking, you want more exhaust pulses coming into a muffler to make a pleasing sound coming out. As such, many folks, myself included, have been satisfied abandoning the true dual exhaust on the 3.6L and going to a single DI/DO muffler in the middle and then keeping the dual exhaust coming out the end.

I left the resonators off when I went with my muffler replacement, but I have a different opinion on “drone” than most. There’s nothing saying they couldn’t be kept in place when replacing the two mufflers with a single one, I just haven’t done it on the two v6s I’ve modified.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger SXT Frostbite
77 Posts
I just replaced the 2 rear resonators my 2020 sxt with Flowmaster FX oval mufflers. Part# 71225.
Left the 2 center mufflers on.
The sound outside the car is good. My problem is the resonance (Drone) I get in the car at the 1800 to 2200 RPM level.
It is driving me crazy. Almost to the point where I'm sorry I did the mod.
I am hoping someone can help me with a fix for the problem without doing more experimenting with different mufflers and resonators.

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
9,429 Posts
You replaced the resonators and left the mufflers in place. The resonators are supposed to help with the drone, but now they are gone. Move the new mufflers to the center spots and reinstall the rear pieces. That will be about as good as you can do probably

Reactions: A Guy

·
Registered
2019 SXT Blacktop
132 Posts
I just deleted my mid-muffler everyone likes the sound, way loud enough for me...

·
Registered
2019 SXT Blacktop
132 Posts
Did you leave the rear stock mufflers in place?
How is the drone in the car at the 1800 to 2200 rpm range?

Jim..
I don't notice a drone at that RPM, also if you go in sport it is even louder on acceleration, the rear resonators are stock.

·
Registered
271 Posts
This was my 2012 Challenger 3.6L with Cherry Bomb Vortex Mufflers

·
Registered
2020 Challenger SXT Frostbite
77 Posts
The rear exhaust pieces are there to knock down the drone. Removing them is going to increase the drone inside the cabin. The mid-pipe pieces are the “mufflers” of the exhaust. Many folks choose to remove those and keep the resonators on the end, though that’s really more of a V8 exhaust thing.

The true dual aspect of the 3.6L setup is there to squeeze out a few extra HP at redline, but it hurts the overall sound in most people’s opinion, mine included.

Generally speaking, you want more exhaust pulses coming into a muffler to make a pleasing sound coming out. As such, many folks, myself included, have been satisfied abandoning the true dual exhaust on the 3.6L and going to a single DI/DO muffler in the middle and then keeping the dual exhaust coming out the end.

I left the resonators off when I went with my muffler replacement, but I have a different opinion on “drone” than most. There’s nothing saying they couldn’t be kept in place when replacing the two mufflers with a single one, I just haven’t done it on the two v6s I’ve modified.

Nuke, good explanation of the V6 exaust system and what mufflers/resonators do.
I know old school dual exaust systems typically had mufflers with resonators at the rear.
I should have realized and did more research before I spent money on the FX mufflers.
Sounds like a better option should have been to put the FX's in the middle and leave my stock resonators in place.
I am hoping my exaust guy has not trashed my stock resonators yet so I can make the switch.

Jim.......

1 - 9 of 9 Posts