Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I have had a few members either contact me, or report scammers who offer parts via PM. If you get such an offer and want me to check the IP and email if available, PM me and I'll let you know. This is not unique to Challengertalk, looks to be the newest thing, so beware

A Guy

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
TTT Will make a Sticky eventually

A Guy

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
More info. It looks like originally members were contacted by a now banned member Garywood. He PMed he had a friend that had the part(s) they wanted (for a low price). The email our members were given to contact this "friend" is

Bryan Gate email is [email protected]

In searching I found this

Obviously the contacting member name will change, and the email address could as well. It's likely, but not certain the member PMing will be new to the forum, or at least have a low post count. A person can certainly join and wait for the opportunity to PM later, but they would still likely have a low post count, again not guaranteed

Again, if contacted this way, and you are at all suspicious, PM me the contacts info and we'll look into it for you. Hopefully any scammer will be put off by the knowledge that we are aware of them, but these are lowlife scum, so...

A Guy

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

I hate spammers/scammers!

A Guy

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
1,282 Posts
Ha, funny u say that I got a pm very similar to that a few months ago with different usernames

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Unfortunately I deleted a text thread with this guy but he tried to get me too. Says he’s from Montana and had parts available wholesale. Do you have a website??? NO. I asked for pics and he sent me stock internet pics. I told him no thank you HE WAS A SCAMMER.

He then asked for me to give my best offer. I said ZERO.

I just saw this but glad he was removed. Beware.

·
Registered
2020 Scat Pack Hellraisin Shaker
505 Posts
+1 to previous posts & forum history.

A scammer is a cheat, looking for the easy buck. Because of that, they are not going to put a lot of effort in to building a legacy on the forum. You might see a handful of generic posts, but nothing too detailed or specific. No scammer is going to make several hundred intelligent posts about the forum subject just so they can make one score.

That much effort to build a legacy would verge on simply getting a job...

Oh, wait... I have three hundred or so posts here and have been a member for four or five months. Y'all know my saga of waiting for my new Challenger. Hey, I decided I don't want it. My loss is your gain! PM me your bank information and I'll let you have it for $10k less than what I am paying for it. Don't forget to include your credit card & social security numbers so I can promptly wire you the money.

If it is too good to be true..... LOL!!! :LOL:

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Spammers will make themselves known if they post, even if they don't spam for a while, I won't tell you how ;) But a scammer that joins from a legit IP address, and email can PM and not get on my radar. Hopefully the axiom If it seems too good to be true..., along with people seeing this caution thread will prevent anyone from losing any dough

A Guy

·
Registered
2015 Challenger R/T Plus 8 Speed
8,499 Posts
TTT Will make a Sticky eventually

A Guy
It should be noted, for you own protection, go through the "classified" sections of the forum or through a known/trusted vendor. Use PayPal if you are not sure about the seller. This is the internet after all and you really don't know who you don't know, myself included. :D

·
Registered
"ARTIE" is a Black 2016 R/T+ with Super Track Pack, 6 speed, Ruby Red Interior
139 Posts
Especially if you post a : WANT TO BUY Add: I did received about 10 of those PM's with Email address to contact a friend of their's that had the parts I was looking to buy.
All those account where 1 day old on the forum...I did not bait.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I rejoined the forum a few days ago after a five year absence on this forum (but used a new name), because of a For Sale post which was 5 months old. I am not saying the post was a scam, but the post was deleted the next day. Dissapointed, could just have said it was sold

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If the user was Spam cleaned, it deleted all their posts. If they started a thread, it would delete the thread

A Guy

·
Registered
539 Posts
Not sure what happened. I do not know the username of the OP. I replied to the post in the For Sale section posted by the OP

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Be aware, within the last week, 2 attempts in this thread

Scammer emails

You can contact [email protected] I think he has it
Email James in Texas he has 392 Intake Manifold for sale. Here’s email [email protected]
This second email address, do a Google search, he's trying everywhere. Uses VPN, but let one real IP slip through
105.112.66.13 Lagos, Nigeria

This is the MO, hey email this guy, he has one. Also beware of a possible PM with the same format

A Guy

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Latest scammer is just PMing, zero posts. Reported by 3 members...good job guys

"Here's his email [email protected]"

Address you'd be asked to send Paypal too

[email protected]

Banned scum

A Guy

·
Premium Member
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy- GONE :-(
4,709 Posts
Thanks for the vigilance.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just banned scammer joined one hour ago

Hey buddy
I got what you're looking for contact me if you are still interested in buying it
[email protected]

A Guy

·
Premium Member
4,654 Posts
I'm looking for some Hellcat WB rims, and out of the blue someone texted me, asking if I was still looking for the rims. I don't recall posting my phone number, how would someone find that thru this site?

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
They cannot. Unless you posted your number in one of your posts. It's not even info required to register here

A Guy

1 - 20 of 81 Posts