Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2011 R/T 6M Bright White, 590whp 490wtq, Whipple 10psi, 274 cam, 1 7/8 LT headers, 429 gears
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have reached a point where I need to run wider tires on my car and therefore have to switch to 10-11 inch wide wheels. In the process of shopping I noticed a few places that advertise wheels for challengers with a 114.3 bolt pattern. I actually called one of the places to let them know they had listed them and they stated they will work just fine. While they may bolt on and appear to fit just fine that puts a lot of stress on the lug bolts. It's like taking a bolt and going far beyond the torque specifications. You may get away with it, but you are at risk of the bolt breaking. I would not want that setup on my car pushing over 700hp and hitting speeds well over 120mph (Track/Strip days) I wouldn't want to be at the mercy of my lugs stressed to the point of possible fracture. That could lead to a deadly accident or at a minimum cause major damage due to losing a wheel.

One more thing to consider is the offset. You'll want to keep on eye that that as well. As an example there is a couple out there with an 18mm on the rear wheels with a 10.5 inch wheel. That will push the wheel too far out on the rear if you want to run 305 or wider.

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
10,123 Posts
I’ve seen old threads over on the Charger forum where members bicker back and forth about running that bolt pattern on their Dodge LX cars. I didn’t even know there was another size that would fit, lug-centric or hub.

That 114.3mm size seems oddly close to Dodge’s size, is it the OE size for a different car maker or something? How did anyone even think to try it on a Dodge?

·
Premium Member
2011 R/T 6M Bright White, 590whp 490wtq, Whipple 10psi, 274 cam, 1 7/8 LT headers, 429 gears
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah it's a standard size used by some OEMs. Actually way more wheel options with the 114.3 than 115.

I assume people think it's only a few mm off and it's close enough to get the wheel on so just run it. Maybe if you had some upgraded lugs to withstand more stress it may be a litttle safer, but knowing you are bending the studs with constant strain just makes me too nervous to do it.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy- GONE :-(
4,717 Posts
I assume people think it's only a few mm off and it's close enough...
Uh that is .7mm off, less than .030" then divide it in half for how far each hole would be off, if they were actually different. It is really less than .012" per hole, plus they are all still concentric, assuming again, there is actually a difference.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
There wouldn't be two different sizes if they weren't different. Of course they are different... Not worth the risk. While you you may (probably) would be fine, I'm not willing to risk my familys life on it. There are plenty of wheels out there that are the correct size.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
28,198 Posts
I’ve seen old threads over on the Charger forum where members bicker back and forth about running that bolt pattern on their Dodge LX cars. I didn’t even know there was another size that would fit, lug-centric or hub.

That 114.3mm size seems oddly close to Dodge’s size, is it the OE size for a different car maker or something? How did anyone even think to try it on a Dodge?
114.3mm is a 5 x 4.5" bolt spacing...the most common bolt spacing

A Guy

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
1,298 Posts

Dodge themselves use 114.3, on the Rams. Never understood why the LX cars didn't use it, would sure make wheel shopping a lot easier.

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
10,123 Posts
Dodge themselves use 114.3, on the Rams. Never understood why the LX cars didn't use it, would sure make wheel shopping a lot easier.
Maybe the 114.3 is just the metric version of 4.5” like mentioned above, meaning it originated here with a domestic auto maker, and 115 was always a metric size, originating in Europe...specifically Germany...with the Mercedes Benz company.

🤔

Reactions: McCloud
1 - 8 of 8 Posts