Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I stopped by my local Dodge Dealer this morning to have the oil changed on my wife's Durango (1st oil change was free, no appointment). Anyway, once the change was done, I asked the service tech the cost of an oil change with synthetic oil for my Challenger. He said it's about $80 (holy cow) but they are recommending an oil change using regular oil with BG MOA additive and Fuel/Air Induction Service. I never heard of this stuff and I usually do not like using additives, but I am just curious, does anyone use this stuff and what is your opinion?

·
Premium Member
2,450 Posts
I've used BG MOA (Motor Oil Additive) and 44k fuel system cleaner for decades in all my dino-oil run engines. Great stuff. I wouldn't use MOA with synthetic (it's already got all that stuff in there), but would not hesitate to use 44k in any gas engine...

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
My shop swears by it. Though the owners manual states not to use any additives. So I asked him to not use it even though I trust him. I will have him use the BG44k intake cleaner though.

·
Premium Member
10,437 Posts
If you use high quality fuel and oil and filter, you don't need to add anything.
I'm on my 44th car and never had any engine failure or fuel related issues. Those products won't harm anything but still feel it's a waste of money.

Reactions: PSM450

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies. I have some time to decide. If I let the dealer change the oil with these other additives and service, the cost is about the same as if they just use synthetic oil alone (very expensive).

·
Premium Member
10,437 Posts
A 5 quart bottle of Mobil1 at walmart for only $22-25, depends on when you buy it. That's very good compared to what it used to cost per quart.

·
Registered
834 Posts
What is the additive for? The only additive I've ever heard of using was zinc for use with flat tappet cams. These engines shouldn't require anything extra and synthetic does nothing except extend the oil change interval.

·
Registered
216 Posts
My Dealer also wanted to do this with BG products, when I asked him why, he said it is how the dealer gets there lifetime engine warranty that they offer. They use the one on the back of the BG can to cover there a$$.

·
Premium Member
10,437 Posts
My Dealer also wanted to do this with BG products, when I asked him why, he said it is how the dealer gets there lifetime engine warranty that they offer. They use the one on the back of the BG can to cover there a$$.
Until BG says no to a claim, then what?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.