Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm looking to move into the 6.1L SRT8 Challenger world and have some questions to make sure I purchase the right car for my needs.

The ultimate goal is near 1000rwhp turbo setup

I'd like to know the following?

1. is there a year model for the 6.1L SRT8 that's better for high hp than another? if so, why?
2. how much power/tq can the stock bottom end handle?
3. how much power can the stock fuel system handle?
4. how much power/tq can the stock automatic transmission handle?
5. same for the rearend, half shafts, driveshaft etc...
6. what can be done for weight reduction?
7. I've seen rear mounted single and twin turbo solutions, is anyone mounting them under the hood?
8. is there room for a large front mount intercooler up front?
9. what tuning solution are people using to precisely control air/fuel, timing, boost for big power?
10. what are common problems when going towards my goal?

thanks in advance!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I picked up a 2010 plum crazy SRT8 challenger yesterday
I've been on the phone with Diablo about tuning solutions. I think to start I'll begin with the Trinity and get into the CMR a little later as I add boost/injectors/fuel pumps/cams etc...

I had a 790awhp and 927awhp EVO 8 and 7...I figure if I can make those fly with 4 cylinders, it should be no problem with 8

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
Stock bottom end is good for about 8lbs of boost, anything more then that time to forge it. As for the drive train anything more then 550-600HP you will need, Built trans, Axles and for the numbers you are talking about add a driveshaft to the list.

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
Welcome!

Single turbo mounted under the hood ^^^

You can run pretty high horsepower on stock displacement with just drop in pistons and a custom cam since your rods and crank are already forged. I don't have a 6.1 but I've done plenty of research on them. Stock auto trans is good for 500whp. I do believe I read somewhere that with a change in clutch packs and an upgraded valve body, 1000whp is possible out of it. Also, look into the Mercedes Blue Top solenoids for the NAG1. Speedlogixstore.com has them for your car. Depending on your tire choice you'll need half shafts pretty quickly but the diff is bullet proof. Driveshaft also depends on tires. Obviously the stickier you go, the quicker stuff breaks, but slip too much and that can happen too so there is a middle ground somewhere. As for weight reduction, again Speedlogix has everything you'll need from replacement crossmembers to pieces that delete interior parts (seats). Tuning, Diablosport. Again, Speedlogix. Find a reliable tuner. Johan (Diablotoona) and HemiFever are VERY proficient at making power out of these cars.

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
I didn't say that he could run 1000, just that he could do pretty high HP on the stock rods/crank

·
Premium Member
173 Posts
Once you get close to 700 rwhp, you'll need to replace a bunch of the drive train. I have 542 rwhp on my 6.1 right now with a super charger, new fuel system, and various other complimenting upgrades, so I am well under that threashold, and that is where maybe people stop (450 to 550 rwhp).

My next step, will be to change out the pistons and rods and up my boost. However, after about 5 more pounds of boost, I'll have to start the drive train stuff (clutch, rear axle, etc.). Which is going to easily double my current mod investment.

Weight reduction will be trading the rear seats for a roll bar along with a carbon fiber hood, trunk, and roof. There’s probably a bunch of other stuff, but I haven’t looked into it much.

Edit: I was able to locate this site again by digging through these forums. It should help some.
http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/general/hrdp_1105_what_breaks_on_2008_to_2011_dodges/viewall.html

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
great info guys, I truly appreciate the help. a few more questions:

headers? are there gains to be had there or is it a waste of money
cams? I know here are gains to be had there and I like an aggressive lope and big top end power for the eventual turbo setup. What are the big turbo cars going with?
heads? who has the best flowing heads for a turbo setup?

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
If you're looking for an underhood setup for the turbo don't do headers as your exhaust manifolds would have to be custom fabbed for the turbo setup. A rear mounted turbo would allow you to either keep the stock manifolds or go with some longtubes. Long tubes are definitely worth it. As far a cam, a custom grind is the only way to go. Not too many people go turbo, most go blower. There have been some people doing a Hellion setup but they mostly go stroker motor anyway. As far as heads, contact a vendor for that answer though the 6.1 heads flow decently well but a porting job will be in order for the boost.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I purchased the diablo trinity and I have to say I'm unimpressed. What standalone ecu options are there for the 6.1l hemi challenger
?

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
Yeah, it's gonna be painful. On the low side I would say $30K, high side, $60K

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
been tweaking the challenger tune, originally it was showing about 350rwhp/350tq, here's the latest. current mods are corsa exhaust, K&N drop in and my custom Trinity Diablo tuning.

·
Premium Member
5,634 Posts
1000rwhp is a tall order but it has been done. As far as price for a Build I would say 30-50K easy. That is for transmission rear end etc etc

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
Go with the Speedlogix ram air hood. Go body color though

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
after more thought/feedback I've come up with some questions I still need help with. Some may have been answered but more feedback is welcomed.

I've got an ambitious 1000rwhp goal and trying to work out what it's going to take to do it. Is anyone here near that figure with a turbo setup?

I've got my eyes on a twin 6266 setup for my a5 2010 srt8 challenger. Some of the issues I'm already aware of and plans:

diablo CMR software for tuning (already have a trinity for crude tuning on the stockish setup)

fuel system, likely triple walbro fuel pumps, fuel rail and injectors (size not determined yet)

auto trans...need suggestions here, stall, clutch pack, etc..

tires...I'll probably pick up some DR's for rolling around town but will need some slicks for the track. Suggestions on rear wheel and tire sizes would be nice.

forged internals, not sure who I'm going to go with or if I'll have a local race/machine shop build it. I like the idea of a 426ci under the hood. The matching badge on the hood would set it off :)

boost control, base boost would be determined by WG spring pressure but i'll want to be able to adjust it as needed for street/strip and which tires I have. I've always used a MBC for this but I'm thinking about getting something with gear based boost or timed for the track.

weight reduction, suggestions here welcome. I plan on keeping it a street car primarily so no gutting allowed.

cam suggestions for high rpm power?

custom intake or ported stocker?

custom tb or ported stocker?

cylinder head suggestions?

map sensor that's compatible with this kind of airflow and the diablo cmr software?

I plan on running the aem wb02 and boost gauges to monitor in real time but i also want to tie them into the CMR software for logging/tuning.

thanks in advance...I'm sure I could figure this all out on my own in time but I figured I'd see if someones already been through this sort of build and can shed some light on what route worked well for them and some pitfalls to watch out for.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts