Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone put the SRT stock alt on a v6 engine? I have a 2009 see and I wanted the amperage that the factory 2011 srt puts out. Factory 2009 see is 160 factory 2011 srt is 220. Is this doable?

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,069 Posts

·
Registered
14,294 Posts
I'd rather a stock 392/SRT 220 amp alternator if it will bolt up.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the issue with alternators like you posted in the link is that at idle they do even less than the factory alternator. i believe the one you posted does 140 amps at idle and in order to get 220 i'd have to be at 1200 rmps

·
Registered
110 Posts
I know the PCM controls the alternator's Voltage output, So just changing the Alternator will not override the PCM and the voltage will be regulated as per program. So most likely the Car would not know there is a bigger alternator attached and the Higher voltage would not be used.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,069 Posts
I only posted the audio link to show that these places sell higher amp alternators.

And while the PCM does the voltage adjustment, you wouldn't want a higher voltage in any case, but more amps will help in keeping the battery charged. I think those with high wattage amps for audio need the most help when the engine is idling or spinning slowly since the amps go down. At that point I think the battery/batteries or added capacitors come into play. The alternator just keeps them charged. A Guy

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
added batteries help when playing the stereo when the car is off. gives you a longer play time. Caps are useless unless you get above 20 farads or so and at that point they don't charge up enough quick enough. I'll see how my car does with the regular alt. i may be fine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts