Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Bigger Throttle body + CAI

11K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  Gila Hemi 
#1 ·
Okay guys I’ve been hearing from a lot of people on facebook from challenger groups that doing a TB upgrade isn’t worth it? Correct me if I wrong.

i thought with a custom tune I’d get some gains with cold air intake too. I’m currently on JBA catless mid pipes and carven mufflers. Billet tech oil catch can. Haven’t done anything internally yet. Anyone help and advise me if i should get a bigger TB and CAI? Thanks!

#2 ·
Factory intake is already cold air and can flow what the engine demands. This has been covered a thousand times.

You have a naturally aspirated, 16 valve, pushrod, 6.4 without any fancy direct injection or other modern voodoo magic pushing 485hp.

There are no quick and easy hp adders that the factory didn't already do.

The tune will provide the most (assuming you have the available fuel). Everything else is just single digit HP gains for a bunch of money or its pure snake oil.

#3 ·
Oregonscat pretty much nailed it.
You will see no gains from a larger TB as a stand alone with basic bolt ons. If your SRT is a 2013 (based on your signature), your factory intake is not a cold air unit, anything pulling in any hot underhood air, even if its advertised as a CAI, is simpy not going to be a true "C"AI.
I believe they make a fenderpull unit for your year range, which will at least put the inlet outside from underhood.
A true CAI combined with a good tune, proper fuel can pick up about 25-30hp,
Most exhaust mods add sound but no real power - until you get into tube headers, etc.
It gets a bit harder & bit more expensive to pursue more HP after that.

#4 ·
Guys I don’t have a 6.4 or a SRT, it’s a 5.7, so arent there any other bolt-ons or internal performance parts I can add to it ?

#6 ·
When it comes to the R/T, the best N/A mod you can do is headers and a tune. If you are a stock R/T, shorty headers and a tune should have you pushing around 340-350 RWHP. A Cam, longtubes, and tune should put you around 375-385 RWHP. It all depends on how much money you are willing to throw at it.

#8 ·
The best mod I have done to my 5.7 has been the supercharger.

#12 ·
375 Crank HP approx. 20% loss with an A8 at RW

A Guy

Reactions: jgraham70
#14 ·
So how do we compensate for the loss?

Do I get a lighter flywheel? If so, which brand is best / popular?

#15 ·
What exactly are you looking to do? If looking for strictly horsepower, the best option is forced air, nitrous, or upgrade the car. I wouldn't mess with anything else.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.