Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me start off by saying this is not a flame or a bash against Billet Tech. They have great customer service and really try to take care of the customer. I have a problem though and wanted to see if anyone else has encountered this and what they did to fix it. My sister recently purchased me a Billet Door Lock Kit/Designer Series for my R/T as a birthday gift. I received it after the estimated time of 4-6 weeks and attempted an install. This IMO is a very straight forward procedure and requires little to no mechanical skill to install, much like most of the billet dress-up products you can get. Once again, great products for the avid, non-grease monkey, enthusiast. My issue is that when I first tried to install them, the post wouldn't screw past a whole turn on the threaded peg. I understand a little force is necessary occasionally and the importance of making sure it's going straight on, as to not cross-thread, but this was just plain stopping.

I proceeded to call Billet Tech and spoke to Scott who is very professional and was a pleasure to deal with. He told me their lead machinist says there's a "Plan B" for situations like that, since the threading on some Dodge vehicles are different than those of other vehicles when it comes to these posts, and for me to send it back to them. Scott even said he would reimburse me for the shipping cost which ended up being only about $6-$7 so I said not to worry about it. They received the kit, re-threaded it according to their "Plan B" and sent it back after just a couple of business days. Awesome! I go back out to my car to install them and now the post turns 1 1/2 times before it just stops completely. I was told that if this didn't work then it could be returned for a full refund, but I really like it and would like to make it work before getting to that. So my question is this:

Has anyone purchased this kit and installed them successfully on their late year model Challenger? If so, did you have any problems or do anything to make them fit? I know there are a lot of avid modders on this site so I'm assuming someone else has done it. Thanks in advance!

P.S. I would've called them today, but apparently they're closed until after the weekend for New Years.

·
Banned
484 Posts
I have them, and had the same prob as u.Could not get them on past half a turn. So i talked to Scott who told me the same thing as u. So instead of sending them back i just found the closest tap i had( think it was a 8/32, but it was not the right one, must be metric) and did it my self. Now i can get them on about 2 1/2 turns and they are not going anywhere. Had them on since April with no more problems. Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
locks

Have the same problem, I just screwed em down as far as I could and left em alone, have had no trouble with em and they look great, just kind of one of those things, its worth it for the looks, but they need to retool the threads and make em right for as much as these cost and maybe do somekind of exchange later on. they should have a challenger to try em out on ?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Guys,

Being from the industry I am sure the problem is with minor changes made by 100's of suppliers on these cars. I recently had an issue with a set of radio knob covers I bought from BT. They came and upon installation they wouldn't even come close to properly sliding over the knobs on my radio even though they should have.

Sent one of my knobs in to Scott and Heidi and it turned out that there was a supplier change or a dimensional change at some point in 2009 and my knobs were of a larger size. They cut a new set to fit my knobs and sent them and my original back to me.

These things happen and even if they had a Challenger to fit everything to it still wouldn't prevent it cause there just isn't any good way for these guys to know of every little alteration or modification that may happen and impact parts they make except to work with guys like us on issues like this.

I might suggest that you find out exactly what size and thread the post is and I'd bet he would work with you to cut you a set to the proper size for your car.

Eric

1 - 6 of 6 Posts