Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey there
I ordered some purple door lock pins from Billet Tech, they showed up and look beautiful but...

The pins do not thread onto the lock rods making them useless. I contacted Billet and here was the response

"I do not know 100% which tap you would need. We had a couple of customers sating that there lock pins would not work due to the manufacture of the rods in the challengers. What i was going to recommend is use a little bit of silicon to hold it place since our lock don’t have real threads it’s machine threaded."

Ok, yeah silicone them in hahahahah (To be fair I did respond asking then about this answer and if they respond with real info I'll post it)

Does anyone know what the thread pitch or tap size I need in order to recut the threads in the pins so they thread on?

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
I had the same issur and best i can tell it is a 5mm thread. Seams to be a common issue on these from what i have read

sent from mobile device

·
Premium Member
1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Got it all handled, took some investigation and then a fix to the pins

·
Premium Member
1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The response was to give me an RMA #

I figured out how to repair the pins to make them work...

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Premium Member
1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Billet Tech Door Lock Pins and Bezels

Perhaps Dodge made a change BT is not aware of. The fix is simple and I've offered to share it with BT... I've asked to reimbursed for the cost of the fix as part of telling them how to fix.

In any case, they look great and the color matches the car and the other BT parts I have. Happy with them now

Attachments

·
Registered
80 Posts
Perhaps Dodge made a change BT is not aware of. The fix is simple and I've offered to share it with BT... I've asked to reimbursed for the cost of the fix as part of telling them how to fix.

In any case, they look great and the color matches the car and the other BT parts I have. Happy with them now
I just got my BT purple door locks and found this old thread. I have the same problem, threads don't match door rod. I can get 1 thread on and it seems tight. But after all this time why cant they tap the correct threads. How did you fix yours, did you tap new threads, and if so what size?
Did BT ever reimburse you?

Also have problems with their nylon braided hoses. Seems like that is another pita fit that BT never fixed.

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
Hmm I bought some red billet style door lock pin replacements at O'Reillys for about $5. They fit perfect and look good.

Reactions: cooop3

·
Premium Member
2,658 Posts
Did you get them to work?

Reactions: SRT8U

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
i believe the thread is a 10-24 if my memory serve's me correct.

i just re tapped ( cleaned up the threads ) went right on no big deal

·
Premium Member
2019 Hellcat Redeye in white knuckle with silver stripes
1,122 Posts
Hmm I bought some red billet style door lock pin replacements at O'Reillys for about $5. They fit perfect and look good.
Ray,
post a pic please:smile:

·
Premium Member
1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I just got my BT purple door locks and found this old thread. I have the same problem, threads don't match door rod. I can get 1 thread on and it seems tight. But after all this time why cant they tap the correct threads. How did you fix yours, did you tap new threads, and if so what size?
Did BT ever reimburse you?

Also have problems with their nylon braided hoses. Seems like that is another pita fit that BT never fixed.
Oh my, I remember this.. I was a week or two out of surgery and cranky as hell

I believe its a 10/24 tap. just clean the threads with that and you should be good to go

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
Look great! Glad you got it to work. I bought ones exactly like that off of ebay yesterday, but in full silver. Hopefully they will fit okay without having to make fixes.

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
Reactions: 797Power

·
Registered
576 Posts
Part of the problem is guys the door latches that have the threaded rod are cheap, they are mass produced which means they all vary slightly. They are not made precise. The door locks I have fit great with no issues.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts