Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2020 SPS, M6, Go Mango
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just going to take a moment to vent about birds.

Got the car a month ago, was too lazy to fix the garage to park in there. Birds would leave about one giant present a day for me. Couldn't take it so I got the garage arranged to park in there.

Fast forward to today and I'm washing it for the first time. For the record, I hate and suck (because I hate) washing cars. The other two cars get about one wash a year. So I'm trying to do better and do it "right" with this one. Get it washed, took my time, immediately pulled it into the garage, and what do it find except a nice fresh s***.

I really think the birds are attracted to the color. The dart and jeep are like octane red and deep cherry red, the scat is orange. And they can sit out there for months and get one or two gifts from the birds, the challenger quote literally can't last three minutes.

Anyways.

/rant.

·
Registered
263 Posts
LOL.

My Collector Edition Trans Am, yellow, was a magnet for bugs. They literally would swarm to the car in the evening.
So I understand your frustration.
I don't seem to have the problem with my TorRed Challenger.

·
Registered
2020 SPS, M6, Go Mango
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I drove it home from the dealer in the evening through a lot of agricultural areas. Poo and plants=bugs. The car was coated in them with all of 100 miles on it.

·
Registered
On Order - 2020 Scat Pack Hellraisin Shaker
391 Posts
Midwest road trip two years ago in a classic car. This is less than 100 miles.

I could have left it in the garage under a blanket like dad did. I chose to make a memory and drive it. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trashing anything. I am just driving the car like it was intended. Taking the risk of it getting dirty is one of the things we accept.

Granted, having 60+ year old aerodynamics didn't help the bug impacts. I couldn't go more than an hour or two without cleaning the windshield.

·
Registered
391 Posts
...For the record, I hate and suck (because I hate) washing cars....
No idea where you are located. In the rainy Pacific NW, for a car guy washing cars is a fact of life. To the point of having a lighted wash rack for winter evening washings and hot water on the wash hose. Two minutes to knock the chunks off on a wet night keeps it from accumulating in layers. More detailed car washings are planned based off the forecast for nice weather.

·
Registered
2020 SPS, M6, Go Mango
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I live in central washington. Further east of the weather that people associate with the northwest. So less rain, but more snow.

I don't really consider myself a car guy either. Not sure what the qualifications are. More like a guy (last I checked anyway) that happens to own a car. Either way, the irritation comes from the fact that the bird snuck in a crap in a thirty second window. Not that I had to wash the car.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I live in central washington...I don't really consider myself a car guy either....
Yup, know the area. I have family in Ephrata.

As for being a 'car guy'... Your signature doesn't say "Prius" in it. And you are an active member in a forum dedicated to said car... I don't know if you are certifiable, but you are certainly qualified. LOL! :LOL:

·
Registered
2020 SPS, M6, Go Mango
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yup, know the area. I have family in Ephrata.

As for being a 'car guy'... Your signature doesn't say "Prius" in it. And you are an active member in a forum dedicated to said car... I don't know if you are certifiable, but you are certainly qualified. LOL! :LOL:
Fair enough.

I believe there is a politically correct term for such indecisive state of mind... Can't quite put my finger on it. Trans... mission? No that's not it. I'll think of it.

·
Registered
2018 PCP Challenger Scat Pack w/dynamics
132 Posts
dude. I’ve been dealing with the same s**t. I’ve been up at my grandparents place, and my grandpa always leaves his shop doors open. Some barn swallows nested up there and just crap all over the place. Had just washed my car yesterday, and this morning I found a nice fresh steamer on the trunk. I said “alright you little s**ts, you’re done.” Got a ladder to get the nest down, and sure enough there are 4 baby birds in there. Fml. I just couldn’t do it, I wouldn’t be able to live with myself. So decided to suck it up for the time being 😤

·
Registered
2016 Dodge Challenger R/T Plus Shaker
153 Posts
Don't get me started on birds. At my farm there are barn swallows, starlings, and robins. All are a nuisance!! The only cure is "lead pellets" but not the best nor easiest thing to do.
As for washing, I take my vehicles to the touchless car wash. Be careful cleaning off the "crap" as it can be abrasive and if you leave it on too long it may "etch" the clearcoat/paint.

Reactions: NoCash

·
Super Moderator
14,032 Posts
Just going to take a moment to vent about birds.

Got the car a month ago, was too lazy to fix the garage to park in there. Birds would leave about one giant present a day for me. Couldn't take it so I got the garage arranged to park in there.

Fast forward to today and I'm washing it for the first time. For the record, I hate and suck (because I hate) washing cars. The other two cars get about one wash a year. So I'm trying to do better and do it "right" with this one. Get it washed, took my time, immediately pulled it into the garage, and what do it find except a nice fresh s***.

I really think the birds are attracted to the color. The dart and jeep are like octane red and deep cherry red, the scat is orange. And they can sit out there for months and get one or two gifts from the birds, the challenger quote literally can't last three minutes.

Anyways.

/rant.
You should get one of these to get even with those birds.

Pidgeon 001.jpg

·
Registered
2020 SPS, M6, Go Mango
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Don't get me started on birds. At my farm there are barn swallows, starlings, and robins. All are a nuisance!! The only cure is "lead pellets" but not the best nor easiest thing to do.
As for washing, I take my vehicles to the touchless car wash. Be careful cleaning off the "crap" as it can be abrasive and if you leave it on too long it may "etch" the clearcoat/paint.
Lead pellets, as in a shotgun? Or a pellet gun? I have a 12 gauge but I'm too close to my neighbors. Then someone gave me a pellet gun and I'm like why tf do I need this and gave it to my dad. Kicking myself for that.

·
Registered
2018 Pitch Black SXT
1,987 Posts
I feel your pain. I have three vehicles ,all outside, and the only one hit constantly by the birds is the black Challenger. I know black is tough to keep up but come on. 😱

·
Registered
2020 SPS, M6, Go Mango
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I feel your pain. I have three vehicles ,all outside, and the only one hit constantly by the birds is the black Challenger. I know black is tough to keep up but come on. 😱
Well we all know that birds are just government spies. So my theory is that some bored/depressed fbi agent is staring at his monitor flying his spy around - he's jealous we're out here enjoying our cars so to be spiteful, he decides to aim for our cars.

I have no proof of this theory but know it to 100% be true.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
18,555 Posts

A Guy

Reactions: vpzyck

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
LOL.

My Collector Edition Trans Am, yellow, was a magnet for bugs. They literally would swarm to the car in the evening.
So I understand your frustration.
I don't seem to have the problem with my TorRed Challenger.
I notice that the color yellow does attract insects. Even a yellow plastic bag leave it on the grass and watch em swarm on it. I had red cars in the past and the insects or birds are not attracted to that color.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Definitely a .177 pellet or even a BB will penetrate those critters and stop them in their tracks. Being out on the farm shouldn't have to worry about hitting by accident other things if you are out in the open space rural area. The discharge of the air, spring loaded or pump ups are quiet unlike firearms so you wouldn't attract unwanted attention if you do have neighbors nearby. Shouldn't have to worry about over penetration to the critter.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts