Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help, I've been bitten by the Cuda bug! I've told myself 100 times that I'd leave my car stock, but I discovered the AFR Autoform website. The Cuda stuff looks too cool! I'd get the fake shaker hood because I'm happy with the power my stock SRT makes. Is AFR as good as eveybody is saying? Does anybody know of any other Cuda suppliers I should consider? Any help would be appreciated.
DougT

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Hey Doug,

I had a 1970 383 Magnum Challenger a long time ago. I do not remember if any of the old challengers came with a shaker hood, do you? I also really like the Shaker hood and Cuda grill.

·
Super Moderator
15,697 Posts
The shaker hood was standard on the 1970-71 426 Challengers and 'Cudas. It was about a $90 option for the 340, 383, and 440 engines for those years. I had one on my 1971 340 'Cuda.

Here's a trivia question. What did ieqcag stand for?

Answer: The Incredible Exposed Quivering Cold Air Grabber.

·
Super Moderator
15,697 Posts
Yes and that shaker on a 71 chall was bad ass
It was a cool setup. The opening was the perfect size for air intake and it had two neat flaps (one for outside air and one for under-the-hood air) that worked similar to a manual choke- it was operated by a cable under the dash (with a red "Air" label on the pull handle).

At the top end, it was good for 5 hp. Here is a photo of a 340 'Cuda with a shaker hood.

Attachments

·
Registered
999 Posts
I love Cudas that's my RT's unofficial nickname. Will have to see. 392 stroker is next. Once warranty is done. Using the original 5.7 block as per IE Specs and parts. Drooling as I dream.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Help, I've been bitten by the Cuda bug! I've told myself 100 times that I'd leave my car stock, but I discovered the AFR Autoform website. The Cuda stuff looks too cool! I'd get the fake shaker hood because I'm happy with the power my stock SRT makes. Is AFR as good as eveybody is saying? Does anybody know of any other Cuda suppliers I should consider? Any help would be appreciated.
DougT
You may want to look here also .. Mr. Norm's Garage | Modern Cuda

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Gave in today

Well, I gave in to my urge today to "Cudaize" my SRT. I ordered a rear window louver kit (not from AFR) and a set of "gills" from AFR. I plan to work my way up to the hood (the big ticket item) and other items as I can. I decided that leaving the car stock would not be as much fun as modding it (at least looks wise). It will still be bone stock as far as the running gear. I'll keep you posted.
DougT

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
My father has a 73 cuda 360 6 pack. Lime green white vinyl top and white stripes down the side. It is an amazing car. He's had it since 1976. Second owner.

I would love to see a real Plymouth cuda from the factory. I think it would be a huge hit. The concept cudas I see are ok but I would like to see the muscle car version based on the new challenger body like mr norms is building.

·
Registered
38 Posts
New Cuda'.

I think it is a GREAT idea to "Cuda-ize" the new Challenger, however the main ingredients must be :
1 - The grille 1971 "Cheese Grater" looks great !!!
2 - The hood AAR or Shaker Option gives the "Flat Hood" look since the
Rallye hood was different on the 'Cuda than the current Challenger.
3 - The body line Rear Quater panel had a straight line not the "hip" of
the Challenger body line.
4 - All the emblems ' Cuda emblems should replace any Ram's head or
Challenger emblem.
5 - 'Cuda taillights not covers.
6 - Fender "Gills" and lower rocker "Gills"

My pref... Lime Green with AAR Striping.

JMO ... i could be wrong :)

Dizz

Attachments

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
that looks great. where do you get the rear taillights?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Concept picture -

Not sure, it's just a concept picture i found somewhere on this site :scratchhead: and wanna share and hope, hope, hope that ChryCo will build it!!! I stuck the 'Cuda emblem on the back ... looked naked without it.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I agree. 100%. I love the ideas to transform the challenger into the new cuda. however. Honestly. The snap on cuda covers over the original challenger parts are a bit cheesy to me. I'd like to see it straight out of the factory that way

·
Registered
38 Posts
I concur !

Most of all the body line, then the taillights, the side exit exhaust, stripes, and really diggin the painted roof ... thats pretty kewl !

All this stuff unique to 'Cuda. Don't get me wrong some of the stuff from Mr. Norms is pretty damn great looking !!! The B5 Blue with White Billboards pretty great lookin, even with the taillights (1971 Kewl) it still came out GREAT !!!

With the rumors floating 'round .... ya neva know ???

These pics were out there too, TOTALLY worth a repost !!!

Attachments

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Afr cuda

Well, I ordered the entire Cuda kit from Steve at Autoform (AFR). So now I'll have an "AFR CUDA." Steve said I should get the kit in 3 to 4 weeks. In addition to the AFR kit, I ordered a rear window louver. I've never had a car with one of these, but I always thought they looked really neat. I think I'm going to have AFR paint my grill the same color as my car (Torred). I'm also thinking to have them paint the rear tail light panel as well. I'll get Steve's opinion first, as he's the expert. I was of a mind to paint the "gills" matt black, but Steve said they really look better colormatched to the car. So that's what I elected to do with the gills. I'd like to get a "go wing" to replace the stock SRT spoiler, but Mopar states that their go wing is only for the standard model Challengers that don't already have a spoiler. They say that if it is installed on a Challenger that already has a stock spoiler that bodywork and painting will be necessary (drag!). I thought my stock spoiler was "stuck down" and didn't have any screws or bolts holding it. Can anybody clarify this for me?
DougT

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks SuperStockDodge!

Thanks for the info about my stock spoiler. Now I know that if I want to run a "Go Wing" that I'll have to have some work done to do so. I may go ahead and do this at a later date, as I find the factory spoiler to be kind of bland, and I really like the looks of the Go Wings. I'm really trying to make this car a CUDA as much as possible, so a Go Wing might be just the thing to top it off with. And I will certainly post pictures of it when it is done.
DougT

·
Registered
907 Posts
I guess my thought is..if you wanted a 'Cuda why did you buy a Challenger? For the price of a new Challenger, you can buy a really nice 70, 72-74 'Cuda

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.