Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2017 SRT that I really love but not sure about it's shiny wheels. I don't want to get them painted because once they have scratches they'll show pretty bad, so I'm wondering if those replica alloys hellcat wheels in black list painted or powder coated? Would they show scratches just as much as if I had my rims painted? Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
23,453 Posts
Hellcat OEM wheels painted, made in Taiwan

Replicas also painted I believe, likely made in China

Only mention where they are made for likelihood they are painted. The reproductions have the correct certifications

A Guy

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hellcat OEM wheels painted, made in Taiwan

Replicas also painted I believe, likely made in China

Only mention where they are made for likelihood they are painted. The reproductions have the correct certifications

A Guy
Thank you sir! Do you suppose there is a wheel finish that won't show scratches and damage as much? Other than chrome that is.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
23,453 Posts
Generally power coating is a stronger finish than paint. That said, I have black painted wheels, and other than curb instances I was able to repair myself, I really have no scratches or damage. If you curb your wheels, powder coating won't protect them, curbing actually removes wheel material...and whatever is coating that.

I think generally powder coating wheels would be $125-$150 each wheel depending on color. That's a pricey change for something that COULD occur.

Machined natural material wheels of course have no coating to scratch or damage, but the natural metal could be damaged in the same way.

IMHO, stick with the painted wheels, worry about any damage if it happens. A painted wheel can be worked just like any painted surface. Repair, correction, ceramic coating, etc.

A Guy

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. Sounds like I need to figure out whether it's cheaper to paint my shiny wheels or to replace them...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts