Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Black Hood or no Black Hood...?

1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Pitch Black SXT
2,508 Posts
Wrap the hood and see how much you like it and driving behind it. If you decide you don't like it just unwrap it. Probably costly but only you will know how much you really like it. Just a thought. ;)

·
Registered
797 Posts
Looks better on some colors more than others. I have always liked it.

IMG_2210.jpg
Adjustments.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I personally never understood the whole "black panel" thing. To me, it just looks like a body panel was replaced but never painted to match the rest of the car. :)

I have a 2018 GT Blacktop and even had the black spoiler painted so that it was body color because I hated the fact that the spoiler was a different color than the rest of the car. Just looks "tacked on" when it's a different color than the rest of the car.

Like I said, I just don't get the whole "black panel" thing. To each their own though!

·
Registered
37 Posts
The origin is for racing they flat blacked the hood to reduce glare.

So like many things that may or may not be necessary for a street car, it gives it the racy look.

So as many have stated to each his own.

The OP was obviously on the fence just looking for input.

I went kinda middle ground with satin carbon fiber.

·
Premium Member
2018 Dodge Challenger T/A Plus in Yellow Jacket w/5.7L and A8 automatic
1,610 Posts
I personally never understood the whole "black panel" thing. To me, it just looks like a body panel was replaced but never painted to match the rest of the car. :)
Heritage comes into play on certain models.....

In any event......I like the paint scheme on my T/A, @Okeesignguy .

·
Banned
155 Posts

I have a 2018 GT Blacktop and even had the black spoiler painted so that it was body color because I hated the fact that the spoiler was a different color than the rest of the car. Just looks "tacked on" when it's a different color than the rest of the car.

Like I said, I just don't get the whole "black panel" thing. To each their own though!
The Challenger is a retro car of the 70s. Black hoods in the 70s we're somewhat popular with Mopar. Get it?

·
Super Moderator
16,209 Posts
have it wrapped - that way you can see if you like the look.

matte / satin paint finishes are very difficult to spray out by hand and have it look like the OEM paint - plus they are more work to care for.

a local member in my area did the conversion to make his '17 Scat Pack to a shaker - he couldn't find any in the color he wanted with a ruby / black interior.

a first he had a satin painted hood - the sheen of the paint wasn't consistent, so he had it wrapped. He was having the shaker bubble in body color and the hood & trim ring in satin black (body color is Octane Red Pearl). He also had the roof and trunk wrapped in satin black vinyl

I suggested that he take the cues from the '70 AAR 'Cuda treatment:
  • black out the tops of the fenders
  • black out header panel on fascia to extend out to "lengthen" the hood
  • extend the black out along the top edge of the door out to quarter window ('70 AARs did this)

Essentially he created his version of the 50th Anniversary look of the '20 Shaker a year before these were revealed - I've attached images of that particular car

the hood being surrounded by body color fascia and fenders - as @jtrosky mentions, look like a new hood in e-coat was simply removed from the box and bolted on.

the production T/A models help by having the blackout vinyl on the header panel helps avoid that choppy look, IMO
20200101_121503_resized.jpg
20200101_121551_resized.jpg

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
The Challenger is a retro car of the 70s. Black hoods in the 70s we're somewhat popular with Mopar. Get it?
No, I still don't get it. Don' t get why they did it back then either. :) And this is certainly not just a "Mopar" thing - people are even doing in with their Hondas now too.

If it's for less glare at the track, that is one thing. Although, that still doesn't explain the black roofs, black spoilers, etc... :)

Was just giving my opinion on the matter since that was the whole point of this thread - the OP was seeking opinions. Get it?

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,634 Posts
Black...but shiny!

A Guy :)

·
Premium Member
2018 Dodge Challenger T/A Plus in Yellow Jacket w/5.7L and A8 automatic
1,610 Posts
No, I still don't get it. Don' t get why they did it back then either. :) And this is certainly not just a "Mopar" thing - people are even doing in with their Hondas now too.
Ok......then reference me some pics from the early 1970’s of Hon-Duhhhhhs with black hoods. :geek:

Ya stilllllllll don’t get it.

Reactions: 2015SXT
1 - 20 of 111 Posts