Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Black Hood or no Black Hood...?

• Total voters
61 - 80 of 104 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
15,757 Posts
How many got the black hood to reduce glare? :)

I disagree. A carbon fiber hood on a Challenger looks good. Not a heck of a lot of weight savings for just the hood though.

A Guy

·
Premium Member
1,232 Posts
I can just imagine the cost $ of a carbon fiber hood for the newer challengers.
My 2016 HellCat has the black hood and it was a $ 2000 option.
The only reason I have it [ and it does look great ] is because that was the only car the dealer had that was a new left over. It's a 2016 that I bought in 2017 at a great reduced price.

·
Registered
887 Posts
I can just imagine the cost $ of a carbon fiber hood for the newer challengers.
My 2016 HellCat has the black hood and it was a $ 2000 option.
The only reason I have it [ and it does look great ] is because that was the only car the dealer had that was a new left over. It's a 2016 that I bought in 2017 at a great reduced price.
Similar situation here. When I purchased my 2017 Hellcat I was looking all over for a DG with stripes. The only one or the closest one was in Georgia. When I posted on here someone told me about the one I ended up with at a dealership the next town over (St Augustine) It was a special order and the deal fell through at last minute. Every thing I wanted except instead of stripe it had Matte Hood. I loved it. Except the overpriced 2K price option. Plan on having my DG Redeye’s hood wrapped but the guy I’m using is booked up for a little while between Raceweek and Bikeweek. Hoping he gets some time before April to get it done.

·
Registered
54 Posts
In Florida...pulled off side of highway and added the billboard strip...to go with the black hood....was going to add the shark teeth but that's gonna take a bit more time....

·
Registered
391 Posts
Black Hood or no Black Hood...?

I am on the line...

I love the way it looks now but I also love the black hoods look...

View attachment 988524
I like the black hood on some colors and models, such as on the new T/A and the original T/A. If it’s not a T/A, it would depend on body color and other aesthetics such as wheel rim type and color. I have a 2016 PCP SP with some Hellcat options. I would not like my hood in black, but would certainly consider it on the SRT or Hellcat type hoods. If you go with the black hood, I think it would look great to continue the black onto the header panel as is done on the T/A rather than the hood alone.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I personally never understood the whole "black panel" thing. To me, it just looks like a body panel was replaced but never painted to match the rest of the car. :)

I have a 2018 GT Blacktop and even had the black spoiler painted so that it was body color because I hated the fact that the spoiler was a different color than the rest of the car. Just looks "tacked on" when it's a different color than the rest of the car.

Like I said, I just don't get the whole "black panel" thing. To each their own though!
I understand having a black hood to reduce glare on a racing car, but I think much of the black panel thing is fad. I’ve noticed that the Alaska State Troopers’ cars have black hoods and I’m sure it’s to reduce glare...obviously a functional reason for a black hood which I certainly understand.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have created...since this thread haha... The "Black hood gang"

Any car with a black hood is a member....

We are a very special gang...

We make the woman quiver.....
And weak men shiver...

·
Registered
2018 Challenger R/T Plus - Billet Clearcoat
179 Posts
I like the black hood on some colors and models, such as on the new T/A and the original T/A. If it’s not a T/A, it would depend on body color and other aesthetics such as wheel rim type and color. I have a 2016 PCP SP with some Hellcat options. I would not like my hood in black, but would certainly consider it on the SRT or Hellcat type hoods. If you go with the black hood, I think it would look great to continue the black onto the header panel as is done on the T/A rather than the hood alone.
Agree, some colors it looks great. Others not so much.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Maybe, if the the roof and lid came with it as a package and there was no other choice at the time, but IMO normally satin body panels wouldn’t be a first choice for me

·
Registered
85 Posts
Im not a fan

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
15,757 Posts
Some day you can hope to become a member of the Black Car gang...then you've arrived!

A Guy :cool:

·
Registered
2013 SRT8
925 Posts

Already there! LOL

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

61 - 80 of 104 Posts