Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Black out '13 R/T Classic Grille

I'm "blacking out" my '13 R/T classic. Replacing the OEM Mineral Gray ENVY wheels, adding black hood pins. (already replaced the chrome fuel door with black one). Last thing is the silver ring in the grille. (see photos).

Looking for a reasonable way to black this out (short of replacing the entire grille) that won't look like a little kid colored it with a sharpie. Is there a particular paint or paint method that would work? An after market insert that would cover it?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,330 Posts
My question is, how difficult would it be to remove that plastic trim so you can paint it while it's not on your car?

Can you get your hand behind the grill to pop that chrome trim piece off?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Take your front bumper off, then take off the piece to paint. If you try to pull it off while the front bumper is still on, it will break the tabs behind it.

·
Premium Member
2014 rt shaker
750 Posts
Being that you Should remove the piece to paint it, I’d just buy the replacement part in black to reinstall.

If you really want to paint instead of buying the new black grill surround, I’d use plasti dip instead of paint. I’ve tried painting a grill before and it didn’t hold up well, road debris caused the paint to chip pretty quickly. The plasti dip will be more durable on the grill.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The more I look, the more I don't like this project. Taking off the front bumper (for a shade-tree mechanic like me) just begs for broken clips, scratches and more problems than I want. I would love the Phantom Grille overlay, but covering the headlights is illegal in my state. So I'm on a quest to find a Phantom Grille overlay that either doesn't cover the headlights, or can be cut to leave the headlights exposed. Leave the original grill there, and cover it with something black. This way, when I finally sell/trade it, I can unbolt the overlay, and the original is still there.

·
Vendor
1,641 Posts
I would love the Phantom Grille overlay, but covering the headlights is illegal in my state. So I'm on a quest to find a Phantom Grille overlay that either doesn't cover the headlights, or can be cut to leave the headlights exposed.
Hi, we carry many grille options for your Challenger. We offer several aluminum and stainless steel phantom grille options that you may want to cut to leave the lights exposed.
Here is the link to all OE- and custom-style grilles we carry for the 2013 Challenger. You are welcome to review it, I am sure you will find something for your project:
2013 Dodge Challenger custom and OE grilles
Hope this helps!

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi, we carry many grille options for your Challenger. We offer several aluminum and stainless steel phantom grille options that you may want to cut to leave the lights exposed.
Here is the link to all OE- and custom-style grilles we carry for the 2013 Challenger. You are welcome to review it, I am sure you will find something for your project:
2013 Dodge Challenger custom and OE grilles
Hope this helps!
So I gave this a thought. With whom could I verify a particular application? I wouldn't want to cut the ends off of a phantom grille to expose the headlights, only to find that some critical mounting point was then lost. I'd need to interface with someone familiar with how the grille mounts and if it would still mount correctly if shortened to expose the headlights.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I gave this a thought. With whom could I verify a particular application? I wouldn't want to cut the ends off of a phantom grille to expose the headlights, only to find that some critical mounting point was then lost. I'd need to interface with someone familiar with how the grille mounts and if it would still mount correctly if shortened to expose the headlights.
I checked with a rep on CARID. No option to have the Phantom grille cut short to expose my lights and no other product that doesn't use my existing OE Grille Surround. The silver grille surround is what I need to either cover, or replace with black.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,803 Posts
If you are careful, and patient, you could mask it on the car and paint. I did my tail lights on the car when I tinted and cleared them, If you want it flat, or satin, much easier. Gloss takes finish work, harder on the car.

A Guy

·
Registered
57 Posts
I painted my grill black. Much easier.
Sand the grill, 2 coats adhesion primer, 3 coats black, 3 coats clear gloss.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks to everyone. I read all of the "butter knife" method posts. Decided not to shorten my life based on the prospect for elevated blood pressure and flying implements of destruction. Saw a couple nice posts with photos of folks who masked and painted. Since this is a daily runner, not a show car, and I'm just trying to put my own touches on it (now that it's paid off), I think I'll take the time to mask it and spray it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts