Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pardon my car needing a bath...but has anyone blacked-out the recessed area under the bumper where the license plate is mounted? I think it would look cool.

·
Premium Member
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
3,627 Posts
I like the idea. I thought about doing that on my B5 Charger

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Someone else on the forum has done it - I remember seeing pictures. I agree that it looks better with that area being black. Kind of strange how they left it from the factory.

·
Premium Member
3,627 Posts
I did a quick look, didn't see any for sale pre-cut. I know I saw them for the Charger. I'll look more. I want to find something subtle to do to mine, just to differentiate it a bit, that might be just the ticket.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
You could probably just plasti-dip it - that would probably look OK. At the very least, it will tell you if you like it or not before committing to putting actual vinyl there or whatever you plan to use.

·
Registered
105 Posts
You could probably just plasti-dip it - that would probably look OK. At the very least, it will tell you if you like it or not before committing to putting actual vinyl there or whatever you plan to use.
Would give you a decent idea for sure. I guess you'd want to tape it off and peel away while wet still? Can't really get plasti-dip to break along those lines cleanly like it normally would for a badge or something, right? I could see it working for the plastic rear fascia cleanly but not the lines above the plate.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Would give you a decent idea for sure. I guess you'd want to tape it off and peel away while wet still? Can't really get plasti-dip to break along those lines cleanly like it normally would for a badge or something, right? I could see it working for the plastic rear fascia cleanly but not the lines above the plate.
Yes, you tape it off, put multiple coats on (the more the better!) and then peel the tape away while the last coat is still wet. Believe it or not, getting nice straight lines is pretty easy with plast-dip - even easier than doing emblems with it - especially the more detailed emblems - they can be a PITA. But you shouldn't have any problem getting nice clean, straight lines with dip.

I'm just not sure how good the colors will match the bottom part of the bumper. That part isn't really true black, so it may not look so good where it transitions from the stock "black" plastic to the plastidip... The "black" plastidip isn't a very deep black either though, so who knows - it might look OK...

·
Premium Member
3,627 Posts
These guys have it for Charger, but not Challenger

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
These guys have it for Charger, but not Challenger
Yep - we need that for the Challenger. I contacted a vinyl graphics place and they advised they were already working on it for the Challenger.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
24,027 Posts
Surprised Luxe hasn't made that piece yet. BTW, mine is already blacked out :)

A Guy

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
24,027 Posts
It's a Black car, it came that way :p

A Guy :cool:

·
Premium Member
2014 Challenger SRT 8
1,205 Posts
Just use a wrap, that way U can take it off...………….

·
Registered
2016 Challenger SXT
112 Posts
I have a black car, I put carbon fiber look adhesive vinyl back there, sorry no pic yet. I think it looks cool.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts