Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a set of r/t chrome clad wheels and i was wondering if anyone has powder coated them black before , i have a white 2010 se and i have never been one for chrome but still dont want to damage a perfect set of wheels if they arnt going to look right , thanks guys for the help in advance

·
Registered
77 Posts
Plasti-dip. Thats what I did. They come out matte black, you can do it yourself, and if you dont like it... you can easily remove it. It's obviously not a permanent solution, but you can get an idea of how you like it before you decide to spend the money on powdercoating. Plus you can mess around with different tape jobs and see what you prefer.

I eventually want to get 20s, but in the meantime wanted black rims. Since theres no point in spending money powdercoating my stocks, the DIY method worked for me.

I just finished mine up last weekend.

No prepping/scuffing. Just clean the wheels, tape them up (if you want), and spray on a few coats.

rims2.jpg

rims3.jpg

rims1.jpg

·
Registered
73 Posts
Nice look. I have thought of doing the same. Dupi-color has a paint finish that is called black chrome that should look close to the black PVD coatings that are out there.

Something to try in the spring since painting is not a -20 degree project.

·
Banned
675 Posts
Plasti-dip. Thats what I did. They come out matte black, you can do it yourself, and if you dont like it... you can easily remove it. It's obviously not a permanent solution, but you can get an idea of how you like it before you decide to spend the money on powdercoating. Plus you can mess around with different tape jobs and see what you prefer.

I eventually want to get 20s, but in the meantime wanted black rims. Since theres no point in spending money powdercoating my stocks, the DIY method worked for me.

No prepping/scuffing. Just clean the wheels, tape them up (if you want), and spray on a few coats.
How long did this take you? I love the look, may do this to my chrome clads this spring

·
Registered
402 Posts

Does it clean easy?

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
That looks really nice....

On another note I would never try to powdercoat the chrome clad rims because the heat involved would make them melt (plastic)...paint all the way for those I think.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Hmmmmmmm, there's an idea, i might have to try this!

·
Registered
77 Posts
How long did this take you? I love the look, may do this to my chrome clads this spring
It took me two afternoons to do them. There's a few reasons for that:
1) I did two wheels at a time
2) I had to retape the lip between coats in order to ensure the plasti dip wouldnt stick to the tape
3) I waited ~20-30 minutes between coats (4 coats total), which is what the manuf recommends.
4) I ran out of daylight on the first day

Once I got the hang of it the first day, the second day went much much faster.

If you have the means to take all four wheels off and do them at once, you could probably crank it out in a few hours. Also, if you were to do your wheels all black, then it would be much faster.

Doing 2 wheels at a time, all black, you could probably get them done and back on the car in 4 hours. Manuf recommends not handling them for 4 hours after the last coat, but as long as you are careful, you can bolt the wheels back on and let them finish drying.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Does it clean easy?
I will have to cross that bridge when I come to it.
I've heard it can stand up to regular car washes. But I wouldn't recommend high pressure washers.
I may shoot for a soft sponge and some soap and water.

It's the same stuff that's used to coat tools, so it ought to be able to handle some abuse.

·
Registered
939 Posts
I saw a charger on lxforums that had the pockets painted gloss black and the face was left chrome. It looked really good.

·
Registered
155 Posts

This is a good idea to hold me over until I get rims.Where can I buy this at? Hardware store? Does it come off easy? ie. Fingernail.

Thanks

Looks good btw

Sent from my iPhone

·
Registered
77 Posts
This is a good idea to hold me over until I get rims.Where can I buy this at? Hardware store? Does it come off easy? ie. Fingernail.

Thanks

Looks good btw

Sent from my iPhone
Thanks.
Yeah, I got it at home depot. Two cans should cover all 4 wheels.
It looks like it peels off pretty easy. Search around youtube for plasti dip wheels. I know theres at least one or two vids that show how easy it comes off. And yes, just getting a fingernail underneath it is all you ought to need.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I think I'll do it. Then paint the raised letters white. I also discovered using Acrylic Latex Brilliant White Caulking mixed with water to get the consistency of latex paint. Apply thin coats (about three). I experimented this on two letters and so far its been on there for a little over two weeks. Still white, no cracking. Been thru rain, snow, temperatures from mid 20's at night to near 50 during the day. I've put about 60 miles/day. Still holding up. Who would have thought!

·
Registered
155 Posts
http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=139800

Came across this thread through the lxforums. I think it originated from the Charger forums. Lots of info, pictures, and some videos of PlastiDip being used. If you're interested you should check it out. Looks like it works pretty dang well. It is a good solution for those who are on the fence about powdercoating or those who want the look without it being permanent. I haven't done it, but now that I found more info on it and got the urge to do it... It starts to rain in socal. : /

-Video of a guy pressure washing it and it doesn't come off.
-video of someone peeling it off
-tips
-before and after video
-picture of someone's vehicle that was hit and the after affects of PD. Stuck surprisingly well.

Sent from my iPhone

1 - 15 of 15 Posts