Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Black Satin Hood - would you do it again ?

10K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  rocko107 
#1 ·
I just sold my 2012 300 SRT8. Drove her for the last time this morning and still thought...damn, this is a great driving luxury boat. Took a last picture of it and now I'm fully on my search for a lightly used Hellcat so I won't be sad for long :) . I've got my eye on a 2016 Certified Pre-Owned with low miles, but it has the black satin hood, which wouldn't be my first choice primarily due to what I feel will be PITA maintenance. So my question is for those of you how bought your car with the black satin hood. Knowing what you know now..would you do it again ? Appreciate the input.

R.

#2 ·
I found my cat local on the show room floor. I wanted Destroyer Gray with full stripes. This one had the Satin hood. Me and my wife both loved the look and the car was exactly what I wanted. ( Destroyer Gray, 6M, red interior, red seat belts, no sun roof). Yes it is a p.i.a to take care of and the care products are super expensive to buy. But it’s worth it in the end. Looks Bad Azz. I haven’t purchased any special care products yet but have done some research. Seems like Dr. Beasley’s is the way to go ($175.) for the kit. There was a post on here or the Hellcat.org site about using a foaming window cleaner and supposed to work great? I do like the hood but I would have preferred stripe. Just my personal taste.

Attachments

#3 ·
I put a PPF on my hood. XPEL Stealth. There's regular XPEL on the front bumper as well. You can't even tell.

I use regular soap now if I over spray or hit it with wax/glaze by mistake, it won't be ruined.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

#4 ·
My 300 had 3M Clear Bra on the entire front, wrapping around to the first third of the front quarter panels, the first 3rd of the hood and the door mirrors ,so yah, I was thinking maybe just getting the entire hood wrapped and calling it a day if I do it. I'd just hate to end up with a shinny spot on it which cat be removed.

R.

#5 ·
So it takes a great amount of time and insanity to take care of a satin black paint. Mine has been on since 2009 but my car is a garage queen that does not get placed in the garage without being cleaned and doesn't come out if there are clouds. I guess don't plan on being narcissistic about it. If it gets scratched, there is virtually nothing you can do. I had tried a lot of the products and typically just wash it with a clean mitt and dry it with a synthetic shammy (Absorber).

#7 ·
Not at all, the vinyl on the front bumper nose is not covered but the rest of the pain IS covered on regular xpel.

The one on the hood is in fact XPEL Stealth but the light is from an indoor auto-show that we were invited to so it is still pretty shiny due to the lights (but not as shiny as regular).

#8 ·
Well, dealer called today and after marinating for the past two weeks on the offer I game them, they accepted. So going to make the ride Saturday and if it is in the condition it should be(CPO), I'll be buying it. Don't see too many CPO's with the Hellcat's so I assume its like new. Will probably just have the entire hood protected along with the front end and mirrors, similar to my 300. Thanks for all the opinion. I'm pretty stoked to be joining the cat club.

R.

#9 · (Edited)
So here is a fun ironic ending to this story. Went to look at the car today and found they omitted a couple of details in the description. 1) Car paint was ceramic coated 2) The car already had clear bra covering the entire front end, the hood, the full front quarter panels, the rear bumper and lower rear quarters. Basically about $1200 worth of clear wrap in all the right places. Problem solved at no charge. So yah, I bought it. Redline Red looks WORLDS better in person. You only appreciate it when you are there looking at it. Really cool paint.

R.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.