Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
16,280 Posts
But then you would be getting into custom painting at Brampton, something I'm sure Dodge would rather avoid. Now they can just put the painted hood on and be done with it.

Or is the hood really vinyl wrapped like somebody posted instead of paint?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
58 Posts
That's why it is an option. Some will love it and some will hate it. When I first saw it, I was like WTF. Now I love it and am ordering it with granite crystal. I think it will give a cool contrast with the wheels and rear spoiler. Same probably goes with sublime or B5, some love the color and some think it is the ugliest thing they have ever seen. To each their own.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I'm going B5 with the black hood - I love it - wish it also had an ACR strip ie Viper and it carried onto the steering wheel

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
Anyone considering B5 with the satin hood, here's an idea of how it would look.. except my car has it painted in front of the hood too, but you get the idea.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Anyone considering B5 with the satin hood, here's an idea of how it would look.. except my car has it painted in front of the hood too, but you get the idea.
Very Sharp! Have it custom painted locally?

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think a black HC with black satin hood would definitely look like hood is primed & ready for the paint shop.

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
Very Sharp! Have it custom painted locally?
Yes, I had an incident with a truck tire on the highway unfortunately... since they were painting anyway, I had them do it in flat black. Basically did it as a throwback to an old-school look which goes well with this car. I probably wouldn't do it on another car.

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
FYI, Mark Trostle confirmed to me via Instagram that the hood is painted, not vinyl wrapped.

Reactions: rumpass

·
Registered
208 Posts
Can you wax it?

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
Can you wax it?

You should not wax it, or use any normal car care products on it for that matter. I have special products specifically for that type of finish -- soap, paint cleaner, sealant and quick detail.

It is a totally different type of clear coat...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Yikes! That sounds like a lot of extra work just to get it clean. I know for most who will have it as a hobby car, it won't be too much of an issue. But (and this may sound crazy), but it would be a daily driver for me. Granted, I'm only about 1.5 miles from work...but I like keeping my car clean, and will wash it about every 7 to 10 days (with some minor detailing in between to keep it looking pretty). I've always been pretty meticulous about cleaning up my ladies...but a whole different process just for the satin hood?? I like the look...but that's just a little TOO much maintenance for me.

·
Registered
152 Posts
It's a $995 option.

My preference is no. That's just me. So how much would a vinyl wrap cost?

Nix the option and add on a flat black vinyl wrap? Could this be a way to back out later if wanted?

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
It's a $995 option.

My preference is no. That's just me. So how much would a vinyl wrap cost?

Nix the option and add on a flat black vinyl wrap? Could this be a way to back out later if wanted?
I'm skipping the option and doing a vinyl wrap later. The material itself isn't very expensive, it's the labor you'll be paying for. I'm thinking I'll be able to get mine done for less than $500 installed. I'll be doing the hood, the top of the fenders and all the way forward to the bumper's edge in front of the hood. And yes, you can always remove it later if you don't want it any more. Heat gun and taking your time and it will come off fairly easily. Perhaps some goo-gone afterwards for any leftover residue. Wax it up after and you're good to go.

I currently have my hood and bumper painted in a similar manner (just not the fenders) and while I don't regret the decision to do it, I probably would not do it again. Here is the biggest reason why: if ANYTHING happens to the paint, it cannot be fixed without respraying. This includes hairline scratches, etching from acid rain/hard water/bird crap, etc. You can't just buff/polish/compound out imperfections like you can on glossy clearcoat paint.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I'm leaning towards not going with the black hood. It will leave my options more open down the road to add Stripes or a logo (yes I like stripes).

·
Registered
2019 Dodge Challenger 392
1,536 Posts
I love that it's an option! But I will custom wrap mine again so I can change it in the future if I want...thinking I may wrap the whole car satin black minus a few choice lines showing the red...would be bad ass with the red interior and still having the red paint in the door and underhood! Then once tired of it or getting messed up peel it all up minus the hood and have a red car again...

·
Registered
35 Posts
I love that it's an option! But I will custom wrap mine again so I can change it in the future if I want...thinking I may wrap the whole car satin black minus a few choice lines showing the red...would be bad ass with the red interior and still having the red paint in the door and underhood! Then once tired of it or getting messed up peel it all up minus the hood and have a red car again...
Who are you ordering yours through?

I cancelled my black hood option. I also will def go the vinyl route on day 1

1 - 20 of 30 Posts