Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just got my windows tinted Monday, went 20% all the way around and an eye brow up front. Did not tint the front windshield, it just looks dark in the picture.

·
Registered
106 Posts
So a few months down the line here....Have you been stopped for the 20%? I don't know what your laws are or how upset they get about it.
I am doing mine on Friday and trying to decide between 20 and 30. I know what will look better but here in California 20% is a sure fix it ticket. It's just a matter of time before you get it.

·
Registered
106 Posts
So....Have you been stopped for the 20%? I don't know what your laws are or how upset they get about it back there.

I am doing mine on Friday and trying to decide between 20 and 30. I know what will look better but here in California 20% is a sure fix it ticket. It's just a matter of time before you get it.

·
Banned
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
state law is 35% for the front windows. Also I'm required to run a front license plate which I don't.

I may be wrong, but I don't think they can pull you over for such things, it has to be for a moving violation, then they can ticket you for windows and no plate.
Like I said I could be wrong, that's just what I heard for Missouri state laws

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
looks sweet, love the black on black.

·
Registered
298 Posts
looks really good,
I also have a black challanger but I went 20% rear window only and 30% on the rest so it doesnt look to dark up front. blends in really good, hard to tell it transfers from dark to lighter. Out here in california, its only a matter of time before one cop wants to be a jerk and nail me for even having 30% up front. I wish we could go 20% all the way around, would be sweet. I had 20% all the way around on my charger and also had a sunroof so more light came thorugh and sure enough I still got popped for it.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Yeah, we are supposed to have front plates in California also but I never have in 40 years and there is not one on this car either. Been written for it probably 6 or 7 times in that period no big deal, no cost and a quick fix....But things have changed in the last few years and there seems to be less tolerance around here for anything these days....Especially by the chp. That's why I'm thinking so much on the tint. I know the 20 all around would look the best but it would just be a matter of time before I had to deal with the ticket.....
Maybe I'm just getting old.
Jamaya can you put up a couple of good pictures of your car with the 20 in the back and the 30 on the sides? Sounds like it might blend pretty well and have a chance.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Jamaya.. If you could put up some pics that would be great. As a fellow San Diegan I'm getting my black Challenger tinted soon and will definitely get the 3 back windows darker than the two front ones. Don't need any unnecessary attention from Oside PD.

To Mauls your SRT looks awesome.....

·
Registered
298 Posts
Jamaya can you put up a couple of good pictures of your car with the 20 in the back and the 30 on the sides? Sounds like it might blend pretty well and have a chance.
Sure no problem, let me see if I can find some saved in my file. If not I will take some thursday

·
Registered
688 Posts
I have 5% all around except the windshield. I also have an eyebrow 5-6 iches down on the windshield. It is trulely dark inside! I have never been busted for it either! No problem if I do though, because I have a "tint exempt" sticker and letter from DOS. My wife has 15% on her black Magnum and has been stopped for it, but not ticketed because of another "tint exempt" sticker. I love it at 5% but it is a pain in the arse at night on an unlit country road. I have seen the leos give me a serious looks, but never anything else.

·
Banned
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
^^ Very nice, I had 5% on my Dakota R/T and it was just so scary backing out of parking spots at night!

·
Banned
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
what is a tint exempt sticker and how do you get those?
It's a sticker you can get from your doctor that says you are exempt to state tent laws because you have vision problems, or something along those lines.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Looks great! I have 22% on the doors and 6% on the quarter windows and back windshield. I've had my tint for almost a year. And luckily no ticket for it out here in Cali. Oh and no front plate and it will NEVER go on.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I went with 20 all around and 30 in the back so if any leos are in the back they can't say anything about it b/c they can still "see" and its plenty dark at night and during the day.

only had 1 trooper try to say something about it and i told him i bought the car as is he said nothing more.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I went with 20 all around and 30 in the back so if any leos are in the back they can't say anything about it b/c they can still "see" and its plenty dark at night and during the day.

only had 1 trooper try to say something about it and i told him i bought the car as is he said nothing more.
I think anything is OK on the back in California as long as the vehicle has two mirrors.
How are your side mirrors at night with the 20? When driving my sons truck the mirrors just look like they have flashlights in them when there are cars behind you and backing up is not good. I think he went darker then 20 though.... I will have to ask him to make sure.

·
Registered
688 Posts
what is a tint exempt sticker and how do you get those?
You have to get a letter from your doctor and mail it into the Department of Safety. The reason I got mine was daily migraines and the sun makes them worse. My doctor loves both of my cars and she thinks the tint looks cool too! LOL Not sure how easy they are to get in other states though.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I think anything is OK on the back in California as long as the vehicle has two mirrors.
How are your side mirrors at night with the 20? When driving my sons truck the mirrors just look like they have flashlights in them when there are cars behind you and backing up is not good. I think he went darker then 20 though.... I will have to ask him to make sure.
Visibility is not bad with 20 on the sides it is dark, but enough to cause any issues at least for me. I did have a Chrysler lhs tho that had 20 all around and at night was horrible to drive b/c it was so dark, but due to the larger rear window in the challenger thats not an issue.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Visibility is not bad with 20 on the sides it is dark, but enough to cause any issues at least for me. I did have a Chrysler lhs tho that had 20 all around and at night was horrible to drive b/c it was so dark, but due to the larger rear window in the challenger thats not an issue.
Thanks for the info 2quick....You and I have the same car it appears so your info was very helpful.
I did mine all in 30 yesterday just to avoid any chp hassles out here in SoCal. This was an interesting decision but based on all the stops my son has had with his chevy truck I felt 30 was the easier way to go. Even my son has given up and gone back to 30 on his truck because he has been stopped so many times. Just to much trouble to bother with. Our issue of getting hit so hard may be do to the fact that there is a chp office in town and we are "overexposed" so to speak.
As far as the car goes.....Looks darker then I thought it would actually but I know it will get lighter in the next couple of days as it drys out.
I will post some pics in the next couple of days so anyone who is getting ready to do it can see some information to help them make up there mind.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts