Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
2013 RT Classic
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure about this black wheel fad. Personally very few applications does it look good on. Opinions?

·
Registered
82 Posts
I am old and I like bling. I think the black wheels are more what the younger generation like. But to each their own since it is their car and can do as they like.

·
Registered
336 Posts
No black. Not even the dark charcoal grey black chrome (like I have because they came on the car). Young folks don't remember the days when cars had hubcaps that were always falling off... but that's what I think of almost every time I see a car with black wheels.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I've thought about them for my car but I've stayed with chrome so far. With the amount of black accents I have I think Black Torq thrusts would tie in well but I've held off wheel mods for now.

Take it easy
Jay

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
image.jpg

I went black :) vapor chrome....

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts
No black. Not even the dark charcoal grey black chrome (like I have because they came on the car). Young folks don't remember the days when cars had hubcaps that were always falling off... but that's what I think of almost every time I see a car with black wheels.
Yea... Someone else who thinks that!!!

·
Registered
2013 RT Classic
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yea... Someone else who thinks that!!!
That's exactly what I was thinking too. Some old beater missing its hubcaps. Now the old Keystone Classics had some black accents, and that was fine. But I always preferred the Craiger S/S rims.

My 13' Challenger RT Classic has some black on the wheels. But that's not the first thing you see. You see the polished aluminum.

·
Premium Member
1,582 Posts
I like black rims. I can't imagine any other finish on my car.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Try a machined with black if you want to go darker. Brushed and polished will never go out of style. I am not a fan of chrome but it can make a dark car pop if done right.
I like black vipers only...mainly because it shows the design of the spokes well.
Black wheels also tend to look dirty...even when clean.

·
Premium Member
1,582 Posts
This is not 2009. Try a machined with black if you want to go darker. Brushed and polished will never go out of style. I am not a fan of chrome but it can make a black car pop if done right.
I have 3 sets. (chrome, machine face w/ black pockets and black with red stripes) We tried every set on at Petty's Garage and everyone including Richard Petty liked my black ones with red stripes. We are going to put the chrome ones on my dad's new '14 Plum Crazy Pearl SRT core.

·
Premium Member
1,582 Posts
I have to say black wheels have been with us for about 10 years now and I don't think they are going away anytime soon. Even new cars are coming with them. I still like a new R/T classic with chrome wheels. It just looks so classic and authentic to me. I am open to just anything that works with the style and theme of the car.

·
Registered
16 Posts
A link to my post when I was looking for wheels. I got mines in black. Now I got them concave and a lot of spokes which makes it difficult to clean and to pump air into the tires. So have in mind the design of them will let you keep it clean? After I spent hour washing the car am beat to clean each wheel (the reason of my design) I have to be real energetic to spend another hour for the wheels alone and when they are totally dry they still have strikes. The design is very important if you are going for black. Am still searching for a good chemicals to spray in the barrel to help clean where I can't reach.

http://www.challengertalk.com/forum...how-wide-can-i-go-w-tires-116162/#post1710426

·
Premium Member
479 Posts
My friend once asked me why I changed to black wheels when the ones that were on it were so "pretty." I told him I wasn't after pretty, I was after attitude. I actually powder coated the stock wheels because I couldn't find anything I liked better, I just wanted them black. I'm very pleased with the look and get positive responses from young and old practically every time I drive it - even after over five years.

I'm an old guy too but I've never been a fan of too much chrome. My Fury had Cragars on it when I got it. The first thing I did was swap them out for dark grey torque thrusts

I guess I'm the opposite in that I think black wheels hide the dirt, especially brake dust, much better than aluminum or chrome.

It's great to have differing tastes on here. If not, all our cars would look exactly the same and that would be pretty boring.

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
Depends on your tastes. If you're chasing the latest fad, you'll always end up disappointed. Go with what lights fires in your dreams and screw what anyone else thinks.

In my opinion, chrome or other forms of "bright" wheels have run their course. Then again, I don't think black wheels work in every application, but they work on mine.

1 - 20 of 110 Posts