Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone has installed black widow exhaust on the V6 Challenger? I have a 2020 and it is so quite. I’ve heard the Borla atak and like it but was wanting to check other options.

·
Registered
2011 SXT Built in the Canada Plant
2,309 Posts
The Problem we share with the SXT's is they sound like an Import with a slightly throaty high pitch exhaust no matter what you do updating it. They easily get a Drone Sound if your not careful, Also your going to have to deal with the PCM on your year of a SXT its a locked on and has to be sent out and Modified or Replaced tack on another 1500.00 The Pentastar was designed as a Header and Head 1 unit which affects the sound your going to get not matter what it also holds up some performance.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Problem we share with the SXT's is they sound like an Import with a slightly throaty high pitch exhaust no matter what you do updating it. They easily get a Drone Sound if your not careful, Also your going to have to deal with the PCM on your year of a SXT its a locked on and has to be sent out and Modified or Replaced tack on another 1500.00 The Pentastar was designed as a Header and Head 1 unit which affects the sound your going to get not matter what it also holds up some performance.
Thank you

·
Premium Member
10,365 Posts
Enjoy the car for what it is, a very nice car. The V-6 will never sound like a V-8 and that’s fine too but you never want it to sound like a civic with the large can behind the bumper.
As stated you will most certainly get a drone and in an auto trans vehicle it gets so annoying, if it’s a manual you can at least drive around that annoying range. You can’t buy it, try it and return it on an exhaust system, it would suck to have to eat that loss.

Reactions: Quarkc and 258714

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Enjoy the car for what it is, a very nice car. The V-6 will never sound like a V-8 and that’s fine too but you never want it to sound like a civic with the large can behind the bumper.
As stated you will most certainly get a drone and in an auto trans vehicle it gets so annoying, if it’s a manual you can at least drive around that annoying range. You can’t buy it, try it and return it on an exhaust system, it would suck to have to eat that loss.
Thanks. Just want to research before I buy

·
Premium Member
10,365 Posts
Thanks. Just want to research before I buy
I also have a 2016 Jeep JK with the same V-6 that you have in your car, it’s a manual trans and I put a Magnaflow Competition series cat back just like in my Challenger SRT. I bought my son the Jeep brand new and one month later my son asked if I’d buy and install that in the Jeep which I did,
it sounds ok but it’s not a deep tone and like I said in a post above, there is a drone but with the stick you can drive around it. We took it to the Chrysler Nationals a three hour ride each way and it’s not pleasant to listen to long term and in an automatic it’s even worse. Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,695 Posts
I have the Solo Performance Exhaust, and I'm more than happy with it

A Guy

Reactions: Phobos

·
Registered
227 Posts
If you live anywhere near upstate NY I could hook you up with a great sounding system. I'm swapping my car in and I could put my stock exhaust back on. My system is a combo Flowmaster S44's with Vibrant resonators, Sounds awesome and would be a simple bolt on. I've got a guy that could do it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you live anywhere near upstate NY I could hook you up with a great sounding system. I'm swapping my car in and I could put my stock exhaust back on. My system is a combo Flowmaster S44's with Vibrant resonators, Sounds awesome and would be a simple bolt on. I've got a guy that could do it.
Thanks but I’m in So Cal

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Some thoughts and a question:
1. The Jeep has the same engine, but keep in mind Jeeps are louder (interior) than most other vehicles as they have less insulation, and some are convertibles.
2. There are plenty of aftermarket systems and mufflers sold for the 3.6L that really don't improve on the sound and do drone, BUT there are some that definitely are an improvement over the stock sound and do not drone, such as: Solo, Flowmaster American Thunder, and Borla (ATAK and S-Type); many of us 3.6 owner's on CT have these and are very pleased.

Having said all that, do I understand that the 2020 3.6L has a locked PCM that needs to be adjusted if you change the exhaust???? If that's true, that would definitely SUCK!

·
Registered
2011 SXT Built in the Canada Plant
2,309 Posts
2015 Up have Locked PCM so that with a single casted head / header exhaust sucks on options to really get a super nice sound ....

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,695 Posts
No PCM adjustment needed to add a cat back exhaust, any year (unless you consider cars with active exhaust deleted, and that's not us :))

A Guy

1 - 12 of 12 Posts