Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello friends,

I am wanting to black out my headlights and taillights, and have found a few different options in doing so... I do not want to plastidip as I feel like putting plastidip on a challenger is a sin, yet some would disagree. I saw a video by Muscle vs Tuner on plastidipped Taillights and it looked great, and inexpensive.

GTS makes a head/tail light covers which look amazing, yet these run around $150-$200! Has anyone purchased these or are familiar with them?

I have also found decal vinyl I can blackout taillights with, yet this makes me feel as if this is just more expensive plastidip.

How has everyone else gone about doing this, and post pics/ reviews!

·
Registered
880 Posts
I had the gts headlights and I liked them. Just no headlight output at night due to covers. Besure u can take them off at night and put back on during day.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I have the GTS covers as well, Not thrilled with them, but like Breeze said, you can't really see much at night.However, I did just order bulb upgrades from Diode Dynamics, so we will see if that improves things.

Attachments

·
Registered
814 Posts
Cops already love tailing me as soon as they see me. I don't need a reason for them to pull me over.

Btw, if you get rear ended, depending on the judge, there's a chance you will be at fault for having tinted tail lights. I highly recommend you don't unless you are fine living with that risk. :)

·
Registered
816 Posts
Hello friends,

I am wanting to black out my headlights and taillights, and have found a few different options in doing so... I do not want to plastidip as I feel like putting plastidip on a challenger is a sin, yet some would disagree. I saw a video by Muscle vs Tuner on plastidipped Taillights and it looked great, and inexpensive.

GTS makes a head/tail light covers which look amazing, yet these run around $150-$200! Has anyone purchased these or are familiar with them?

I have also found decal vinyl I can blackout taillights with, yet this makes me feel as if this is just more expensive plastidip.

How has everyone else gone about doing this, and post pics/ reviews!
After 2.5 years the front, rear and side black out kits from Big Worm Graphix are holding up great. No issues from law enforcement or high pressures washes.

https://www.bigwormgraphix.com/2015-17-challenger-smoked-lens-protection-274.html

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow!

Never would of thought that tinted head/tails would be such an issue in Texas... Also, kinda unfortune that GTS covers don't project well at night. Anyone have colorshifting halos? How do those project for visability?

Still looking at decal my taillights, as I dont see how cops could fine me for Black vinyl?

·
Registered
247 Posts
I've had my covers for close to 2 years without any issue from the cops... and have 1 speeding ticket in that time as well, no mention of the covers.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How does the GTS covers make night driving? do you remove at night as the others in the post say they have to? I think the covers look so great, but am not willing to remove and install everyday, regardless of ease.

Also, how much were your colorshifting halos and how do those project light?

·
Registered
814 Posts
Never would of thought that tinted head/tails would be such an issue in Texas... Also, kinda unfortune that GTS covers don't project well at night. Anyone have colorshifting halos? How do those project for visability?

Still looking at decal my taillights, as I dont see how cops could fine me for Black vinyl?
Depends which part of Texas. San Antonio (windcrest/live oak/NE) cops are very strict. I've even seen them give out jaywalking tickets.

I wouldn't risk it here specially on the tail lights.

·
Registered
247 Posts
How does the GTS covers make night driving? do you remove at night as the others in the post say they have to? I think the covers look so great, but am not willing to remove and install everyday, regardless of ease.

Also, how much were your colorshifting halos and how do those project light?
Got the colorshifts 3 years ago... they were $400 then. :) (Installed)

They have adjustable brightness.. you couldn't drive with them alone at night, but they project pretty good.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I've had the GTS headlight covers for several years without any problems. See attached pic. I have (on occasion) been pulled over by law enforcement, but the headlight covers were never part of the "discussion". They are attached with several velcro pads and can be removed very easily.
I do not recommend leaving them on when driving at night even though I do. My excuse....I live in the most brightly illuminated city in the world, Las Vegas!

Attachments

·
Registered
69 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
21,559 Posts
I have the Big Worm tints in the side markers and rear reflectors. I chose not to put on the tail light tints. They cover the white area, and that is the brake lights. I'd rather not tempt fate with the cops, or my brake lights. While the tail light tints do look good, I've grown fond of the stock light look. I saw a 2015+ with the red tinted as well, and while I like the blacked out look, I think the car needs at least some contrast.

A Guy

Reactions: dragons layer

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
In ohio you have to have your head lights on when it rains also its the law Why to you want to hide the nice style of the challenger like covering the headlights and taillights I guess Iam old school Just like I like chrome on a car,

·
Registered
814 Posts
I have the Big Worm tints in the side markers and rear reflectors. I chose not to put on the tail light tints. They cover the white area, and that is the brake lights. I'd rather not tempt fate with the cops, or my brake lights. While the tail light tints do look good, I've grown fond of the stock light look. I saw a 2015+ with the red tinted as well, and while I like the blacked out look, I think the car needs at least some contrast.

2015 dodge challenger blackout taillight & side markers - YouTube

A Guy
Yup. I wouldn't want to get rear ended with that and be found at fault for covering break lights.

Side markers I understand and it's easier to fight but I wouldn't recommend doing rear/front lights.

I love the look but not the hassle if I get smacked. If the breaks would light up the exterior, then yes but the lights light up in the interior and that's what you usually tint.

·
Premium Member
2016 Scat Pack
882 Posts
In ohio you have to have your head lights on when it rains also its the law Why to you want to hide the nice style of the challenger like covering the headlights and taillights I guess Iam old school Just like I like chrome on a car,
I completely agree. It's one of those things which has never made any sense to me and I just can't see the attraction of hiding the lights on a car.
Yeah, I'm old as dirt but I thought the same abut this when I was way younger.

Oh well, I'm not paying the payments on other people's cars so, to each his own.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts