Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
14,294 Posts
Does anyone know why they did away with stripes on 2018 Black Top Package?
Looks like they have made the stripes a no cost option this year, still available for free but you have to check the box to get them. I've seen a bunch on cars.com without the stripes, either ordered that way intentionally or dealer didn't know.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
15,420 Posts
Does anyone know why they did away with stripes on 2018 Black Top Package?
It appears (from Build Site) that the BTE package has all the hardware and trim items, and the BTE stripe is a $0 add-on.

Either a number of dealers were ordering stripe delete, or customers would request dealers to remove them.

Prior years, BTE had stripe as included, and then stripe delete would have to be ordered to get it configured that way.

·
Registered
14,294 Posts
Yeah that's probably it, waste of stripes and gives the dealers a chance to get the good stuff then add their own stripes.

·
Premium Member
3,199 Posts
I think they've gone overboard with not only the Blacktop, but with the T/A. Too many produced and now there are tons of 2017s still on the lots. The dealers around here have almost always ordered the Blacktop without stripes. What got me was that the stripe is the only "extra" part you got with the package. In other words, all the other aspects of the Blacktop already come with every car, just a different color, basically chrome instead of black. The stripe was the one part you were paying extra money for. Good deal for the factory since they charged the same amount without the stripe. The dealership here was ordering stripe delete then adding their own similar aftermarket stripe and charging, I believe it was $600 for what they deleted on the original package. Got to be carful with these guys. They'd rip off their Mothers.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I think they've gone overboard with not only the Blacktop, but with the T/A. Too many produced and now there are tons of 2017s still on the lots. The dealers around here have almost always ordered the Blacktop without stripes. What got me was that the stripe is the only "extra" part you got with the package. In other words, all the other aspects of the Blacktop already come with every car, just a different color, basically chrome instead of black. The stripe was the one part you were paying extra money for. Good deal for the factory since they charged the same amount without the stripe. The dealership here was ordering stripe delete then adding their own similar aftermarket stripe and charging, I believe it was $600 for what they deleted on the original package. Got to be carful with these guys. They'd rip off their Mothers.
Not really.

Blacktop came with black wheels, black rear spoiler, blacked out grill, interior gauge surround is black, dark colored Hemi badges on the fenders.

·
Premium Member
3,199 Posts
Not really.

Blacktop came with black wheels, black rear spoiler, blacked out grill, interior gauge surround is black, dark colored Hemi badges on the fenders.
Yes I know. Maybe I wasn't clear enough. What I was saying is that you get wheels with all cars, you get a spoiler with all unless it was deleted, you get a grille with them all, you get a gas door with them all, you get badges with them all, you get interior gauge trim with them all. Just chrome instead of black so it's not costing anymore to build a Blacktop, EXCEPT for the stripe which is the only part that does not come with every car.

·
Super Moderator
15,420 Posts
In a similar fashion the SP Appearance Package swaps bright trim for blackout, but the tail stripe is mandatory with the package. The Bee animation in the cluster replaces the "Challenger" or "Shaker" if the SPAG is ordered on the Scat Pack models.

SPAG adds HIDs as part of the package - but that feature can be added with the Driver Conv. Grp.

Price that's charged for SPAG, excluding HIDS (used to be $695 stand alone option a few years back) is close to what Blacktop Edition Pkg is.

The majority of BTE models, even when the '13s came out with them seemed to be stripe delete. A number of buyers didn't like the dual dark gray w/ red border stripes those had.
-its seems to be a polarizing thing with those stripes.

And then the '15s came out with that strobed stripe over the hood / roof / trunk. Its kind of half and half with the '15+ I've seen that have BTE option.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Yes I know. Maybe I wasn't clear enough. What I was saying is that you get wheels with all cars, you get a spoiler with all unless it was deleted, you get a grille with them all, you get a gas door with them all, you get badges with them all, you get interior gauge trim with them all. Just chrome instead of black so it's not costing anymore to build a Blacktop, EXCEPT for the stripe which is the only part that does not come with every car.
Still, not really... BT comes with 20in wheels vs 18 on the SXT and also 3.06 rear end. That alone is worth it on the SXT. Might be different on the R/T.
My Yellow Jacket car looks awesome with the stripes but if I were getting a different color, I'd skip them since they are a royal PITA to maintain. Virtually impossible to get the water spots off of.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,073 Posts
My 16 Blacktop came with the 3.07 Rear Axle. A Guy

·
Registered
515 Posts
During my long search for a 17 it seemed like about 30% of the R/T BTs had stripe deletes. Looked at a white one with the right options, with a stripe delete and it was too much white. Month later the identical car but Destroyer Gray (my first choice) with stripes came in and I grabbed it.

The pulse rally stripes look ok, I would not have picked them but I don't mind them. Some of the blacktop stripes of the past, with the red and granite i have not liked at all.
Same with the wheels, would not have picked them but they are ok, look better in person, pain in the ass to clean.

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
During my long search for a 17 it seemed like about 30% of the R/T BTs had stripe deletes. Looked at a white one with the right options, with a stripe delete and it was too much white. Month later the identical car but Destroyer Gray (my first choice) with stripes came in and I grabbed it.

The pulse rally stripes look ok, I would not have picked them but I don't mind them. Some of the blacktop stripes of the past, with the red and granite i have not liked at all.
Same with the wheels, would not have picked them but they are ok, look better in person, pain in the ass to clean.
You can find the stripes online.

·
Registered
14,294 Posts
All SXT with 20-inch wheels will have the 3.07, been like that for years. Also they will get the R/T suspension and brakes.

Here's a new no-stripe Blacktop in F8 Green.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Still, not really... BT comes with 20in wheels vs 18 on the SXT and also 3.06 rear end. That alone is worth it on the SXT. Might be different on the R/T.
My Yellow Jacket car looks awesome with the stripes but if I were getting a different color, I'd skip them since they are a royal PITA to maintain. Virtually impossible to get the water spots off of.
Not true if you have an SXT Plus. They all come with 20" wheels, granite crystal instead of the gloss black.
It's just an appearance package, but I like it. The blacktop option was listed as $795 on my 2017 window sticker.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
218 Posts
All SXT with 20-inch wheels will have the 3.07, been like that for years. Also they will get the R/T suspension and brakes.

Here's a new no-stripe Blacktop in F8 Green.

I really like F8 green... Is it just the 2018 SXT BT that gets the R/T suspension and brakes or did the package include that on the 2017's? My 2017 seems pretty soft with a lot of roll in the corners.

·
Registered
14,294 Posts
I really like F8 green... Is it just the 2018 SXT BT that gets the R/T suspension and brakes or did the package include that on the 2017's? My 2017 seems pretty soft with a lot of roll in the corners.
All SXT with 20's get the R/T suspension but it's the base R/T and not the Super Track Pack so still gonna get some roll.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Not true if you have an SXT Plus. They all come with 20" wheels, granite crystal instead of the gloss black.
It's just an appearance package, but I like it. The blacktop option was listed as $795 on my 2017 window sticker.

My BT package was 1395.00, so the difference is probably wheels, SXM, maybe steering wheel- which is definite upgrade on the base SXT.

·
Registered
14,294 Posts
My BT package was 1395.00, so the difference is probably wheels, SXM, maybe steering wheel- which is definite upgrade on the base SXT.
BT will be less on SXT Plus because the 20-inch wheels and brakes are already included in the price of the Plus car.

For 2018, BT on SXT is $1,295, with Plus $895.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I think the price varies depending on what trim level you're starting out with. Mine is the SXT Plus, that probably explains the difference.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts