Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am having the infamous blend door actuator problem. I've searched and searched online and from what I've read there are 3 actuators. I'm trying to replace the one that controls the temp. No matter where i put my temp selector it always blows cold. I plan on tackling this myself and plan to make a write up since it has been so hard for me to find any info online, hopefully save the next guy some time and a headache. Anyone know where this actuator is located? I've read there is one behind the glovebox, one behind the radio, and one on the driver's side, but no one really says which is which.... Thanks in advance. 2010 Dodge Challenger r/t

·
Registered
328 Posts
if it only blows cold you are more likely having a blend door issue, not an actuator issue. they are not that hard to find, just gotta take off under dash plastic and track down the duct to the blend door and actuator depending which side of car you are on

·
Super Moderator
14,538 Posts
On the single zone system ['08 - '10] the blend door actuator is on passenger side and the temp actuator is on driver side.

When you removed the silencer panel below the dash on the driver's side, you can see the actuator - sometimes the arm can break (plastic) or the actuator motor is non-op.

Both are electrically operated - not cable or vacuum

·
Registered
328 Posts
What could be an issue with the blend door other than the actuator?
The actuator spins and moves a plastic gear which controls the blend door, that plastic gear is a weak point and between my Challenger and 2011 Grand Cherokee which use the same parts in vents I've already replaced about 4 plastic gears and just 1 actuator. The blend door gear is about $5 and it tends to strip teeth or completely break into pieces.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What could be an issue with the blend door other than the actuator?
The actuator spins and moves a plastic gear which controls the blend door, that plastic gear is a weak point and between my Challenger and 2011 Grand Cherokee which use the same parts in vents I've already replaced about 4 plastic gears and just 1 actuator. The blend door gear is about $5 and it tends to strip teeth or completely break into pieces.

Oh ok, thank you!! I didn't know about this. I'll check that out once I get into it. Where can I buy the gears at??

·
Registered
328 Posts

Oh ok, thank you!! I didn't know about this. I'll check that out once I get into it. Where can I buy the gears at??
Dealership, they tend to have a bunch on hand as it is a common fix

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looks like my blend door actuator is working and the rod is moving but I'm getting absolutely no heat. What else could it be?? How could I tell if it's moving the door inside there??

·
Super Moderator
14,538 Posts
Looks like my blend door actuator is working and the rod is moving but I'm getting absolutely no heat. What else could it be?? How could I tell if it's moving the door inside there??
probably check to make sure the actuator arm isn't broken that moves the valve open /closed.

It would be pretty rare to have an air pocket that is preventing water from moving through the heater core. I'd think that you'd have other symptoms of overheating if you had an air pocket in the cooling system.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The arm is fine and is moving like it should when I rotate the temp from hot to cold and vise versa. I'm having no overheating issues at all

·
Registered
72 Posts
did you end up fixing your issue? Tips/Tricks?

The lower drivers side actuator is for selecting vent/floor/defrost. The upper one (hidden behind heater core lines) is the hot or cold actuator.

I spent 2 hours fighting mine and cannot get it back on with new actuator. Cannot get the spinning piece to stay aligned and then fit the actuator in. So for now I manually put into the heat position and at least I won't freeze

·
Registered
3 Posts
On the single zone system ['08 - '10] the blend door actuator is on passenger side and the temp actuator is on driver side.

When you removed the silencer panel below the dash on the driver's side, you can see the actuator - sometimes the arm can break (plastic) or the actuator motor is non-op.

Both are electrically operated - not cable or vacuum
How about a 12 SXT. I'm having the same issue. I get heat for few minutes and than it get cold again.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts