Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 249 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger R/T
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Was driving to work and only made it a half mile from my house before a loud bang proceeding with my engine sounding like two shoes in a dryer. Had a couple of mechanics look at it and I have a hole in the engine block (pretty sure I threw a rod). Not sure what happened, car gave me no signs of engine failure. No oil leaks, clicking that I could hear, smoke, the engine light didn't even come on when it blew. I took it to Dodge but they haven't granted the powertrain warranty yet. They are saying I don't have enough scheduled oil changes on it which I don't, but here's the thing. I use Amsoil Sig Series full synthetic which is rated for 25k miles, so I don't change my oil very often because of this. Amsoil even has a warranty on their oil for this specific case.

I ended up getting a couple samples of the oil to send to Amsoil to test and make sure that was not the cause. I still need to give approval for Dodge to do the engine tear down which I will do once the test results are back.

I looked at the oil samples too and it looked fine. Barely black, more of a dark brown and very liquidity. No slush or any other impurity defects that I could see.

I am wondering what would cause this?? The mileage on my car is a lil over 71k and I only put about 11k on that synthetic oil. Really hoping something is up with the engine and Dodge fixes it under warranty.

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,891 Posts
Was driving to work and only made it a half mile from my house before a loud bang proceeding with my engine sounding like two shoes in a dryer. Had a couple of mechanics look at it and I have a hole in the engine block (pretty sure I threw a rod). Not sure what happened, car gave me no signs of engine failure. No oil leaks, clicking that I could hear, smoke, the engine light didn't even come on when it blew. I took it to Dodge but they haven't granted the powertrain warranty yet. They are saying I don't have enough scheduled oil changes on it which I don't, but here's the thing. I use Amsoil Sig Series full synthetic which is rated for 25k miles, so I don't change my oil very often because of this. Amsoil even has a warranty on their oil for this specific case.

I ended up getting a couple samples of the oil to send to Amsoil to test and make sure that was not the cause. I still need to give approval for Dodge to do the engine tear down which I will do once the test results are back.

I am wondering what would cause this?? The mileage on my car is a lil over 71k and I only put about 11k on that synthetic oil. Really hoping something is up with the engine and Dodge fixes it under warranty.
What's the manual say you should do?

As much as I hope Dodge helps you with this, I wouldn't blame them at all if they deny your claim.

·
Super Moderator
15,095 Posts
the oil change interval is 8k or 6 months on the 5.7 - so its pretty slim chances that FCA will warranty your engine (5 yr / 100k) as you've gone beyond the stated intervals.

Your next hope is if Amsoil will pick up the warranty claim.

In the end, if an owner expects to have the manufacturer warranty to cover things - use the maker's maintenance / service schedule.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm waiting for Amsoils test results before I give the go ahead for Dodge to begin the teardown. If FCA does deny I can have Amsoil step in with their warranty. I don't have a full denial from Dodge just yet so Amsoil isn't going to cover it at the moment.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I agree with others! I change my oil at the intervals suggested by the manual which is 6k miles. I also use Pennzoil which says it last up to 15k miles but again, I change it at 6k as recommended. Another note is the oil filter. Although the oil might be rated for that mileage I don't know of any oil filter rated for that many miles and I wouldn't trust it anyway.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have ran on it for a year before with no issues. Just seems weird it happened now.

·
Super Moderator
15,095 Posts
I have ran on it for a year before with no issues. Just seems weird it happened now.
you could have oil sludging (restricted oil passages) and could have spun a bearing

or it could have been a connecting rod failure

the issue with FCA is going to be those service intervals - if there's signs that point to the oil / service intervals as the cause - the claim will probably get declined

in the earlier years for 5.7s it was 6k or 6 months - even with the SRT / Scat Pack engines with the synthetic only oil, its limited to 6k / 6 months

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah that's what the service attendant said. If they detect sludging they will not cover it. Looks like Amsoil is going to have to step in.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Good luck getting Amsoil to pay for a new engine. I'm sure they have tons of "ways out" of that "warranty" - like you may have to send them samples every oil change for the warranty to be valid - or that you've had to use their oil for the life of the vehicle or you had to submit documentation to them from every oil change or some other requirement(s) like that (I just made those up - but look up the details of the Amsoil warranty - I'm sure that there are some pretty strict requirements).

I hate to say it, but I have a feeling that you are going to be SOL since you didn't follow the Dodge oil change guidelines.

Interested to hear what happens though - please keep us updated.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
No matter who pays you are without a car. Let them tear it down and see what's going on and then fight with FCA about warranty.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've only ever used Amsoil sig series since I bought it. Used mind you but still. The last 2 oil changes have been Amsoil and cost me well over $100.

I'm definitely doing the tear down. Luckily I'm able to work from home.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Impossible to know what happened without tearing down the engine. Even then the root cause may not be clear.

For a rod to come through the block can be due to a rod bolt failure. Or the rod may have failed.

Rod failure can be proceded by rod bearing failure. Generally rod bearings give some warning -- noise like knocking if they are going bad. They do not fail all at once unless the oil flow to the bearing was cut off. The bearing will seize and the rod will snap and say hello to the hole in the block.

Did not read all the Amsoil Signature Series stuff but did you use a suitable filter?

Don't know what Dodge will do in this case. I could see it denying the claim and using the lack of proper oil services to justify the denial.

If Dodge denies the claim then you get to use Amsoil's warranty.

Have to comment on extended drain intervals. While the oil does not "wear out" the oil gets contaminated over time. Water and other combustion by products build up in the oil.

In one case an oil analysis of 4K mile oil found 7% water in the oil. This was due to I was using the car in winter and the fact the engine just did not get very hot which would have boiled the water out of the oil. Believe it or not the auto maker called for 15K mile oil services (and 30K mile filter services). Even so I changed the oil/filter right after the oil analysis results and every 5K miles there after. 16 years and 317K miles later the engine was still running strong as ever.

With fresh oil in the engine I have driven 5K miles in one week. Because I adhere to the 5K mile oil change schedule I would change the oil at 5K miles. Upon draining the oil would still have some amber color to it, the oil stream would be translucent rather than the full on black the oil stream had when the oil accumulated 5K miles from my more normal day to day usage.

Based on what I saw after 5K miles of highway driving I could believe if one's usage of his car consisted of essentially driving back and forth across a wide stretch of the country at highway speeds the oil could go more than 5K miles. 25K miles? No. (As an aside my info is big rigs can go 30K miles (approx one month's usage) on oil but of course these vehicles cover hundreds and hundreds of miles per day and the oil capacity is not measured in quarts but in gallons.) But 10K miles (which is what the oil change schedule was for some of my cars) and maybe even 15K miles.

But my usage isn't driving hundreds of miles at highway speeds per day. So I change the oil -- to remove the contaminates among other reasons -- every 5K miles.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I also change the oil in my vehicles at 5k miles now - even with synthetic oil. This is especially important on my direct-injected Impala - it's very hard on oil. But I'm also going to do 5k mile / 1 year (whichever comes first) oil changes on my 2018 Challenger - even though it's not direct-injected. I just don't trust going by those oil change monitoring systems they put in these cars...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
every 5k miles for an oil that costs $145 seems a bit excessive to me. They change the filter in it too with Amsoil filter when I bring it in

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
every 5k miles for an oil that costs $145 seems a bit excessive to me. They change the filter in it too with Amsoil filter when I bring it in
I completely agree - that is why I don't use Amsoil. :) It's a lot easier to just use something like Pennzoil Platinum and change it every 5k miles or 1 year and keep warranty coverage.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
I’d bet dollars to donuts your failure had absolutely nothing to do with you oil or change intervals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You may be willing to risk (some) dollars in this bet but the owner has at risk possibly thousands of dollars. All to save a few bucks on oil changes.

My thinking is I would rather see a stack of receipts for oil changes rather than one receipt for a replacement engine.

In one case I drove a car enough miles that it racked up at least 63 oil changes (an oil change every 5K miles). Roughly this cost me (over 16 years) and conservatively $12,600 (63 * $200) and the amount could easily be 50% higher, what the heck call it $18,000. Some few years ago I priced a replacement engine and the cost was $26,000, without a usable core which is what the OP has facing him what with a hole in the block and all. And had I not followed the oil change schedule I followed over 317K miles I might have had to replace the engine more than once. I note the OP has but 71K miles on his car. 317K miles divided by 71K miles is 4.4. At a failure rate of every 71K miles to save say the full $18,000 I spent on oil changes I could have spent $100K on replacement engines.

1 - 20 of 249 Posts