Dodge Challenger Forum banner

181 - 200 of 221 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger R/T
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #181
OP Here: I have given Dodge the go ahead for the teardown. That was on Feb 3rd. Have not heard back from them yet, so no update to give.

Oil report from Amsoil was clean and the oil was good for continued use.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Was driving to work and only made it a half mile from my house before a loud bang proceeding with my engine sounding like two shoes in a dryer. Had a couple of mechanics look at it and I have a hole in the engine block (pretty sure I threw a rod). Not sure what happened, car gave me no signs of engine failure. No oil leaks, clicking that I could hear, smoke, the engine light didn't even come on when it blew. I took it to Dodge but they haven't granted the powertrain warranty yet. They are saying I don't have enough scheduled oil changes on it which I don't, but here's the thing. I use Amsoil Sig Series full synthetic which is rated for 25k miles, so I don't change my oil very often because of this. Amsoil even has a warranty on their oil for this specific case.

I ended up getting a couple samples of the oil to send to Amsoil to test and make sure that was not the cause. I still need to give approval for Dodge to do the engine tear down which I will do once the test results are back.

I looked at the oil samples too and it looked fine. Barely black, more of a dark brown and very liquidity. No slush or any other impurity defects that I could see.

I am wondering what would cause this?? The mileage on my car is a lil over 71k and I only put about 11k on that synthetic oil. Really hoping something is up with the engine and Dodge fixes it under warranty.
Sorry to hear man, but yeah changing oil is the #1 most important thing to do. Hope it works out for you.

·
Registered
9,222 Posts
OP Here: I have given Dodge the go ahead for the teardown. That was on Feb 3rd. Have not heard back from them yet, so no update to give.

All the best and hope it all works out for you.

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
1,144 Posts

Thanks for the update! Fingers crossed, good luck.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #185
OP: Called Dodge and found out the issue. The exhaust manifold was on backwards they are waiting on one more part and then she will be ready to go. Warranty covered it only have to pay for getting the oil samples. Thank THE LORD

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
6,152 Posts
OP: Called Dodge and found out the issue. The exhaust manifold was on backwards they are waiting on one more part and then she will be ready to go. Warranty covered it only have to pay for getting the oil samples. Thank THE LORD
I don't see how the exhaust manifold can be put on backwards?...the gasket yeah but not the manifold.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #189
I don't see how the exhaust manifold can be put on backwards?...the gasket yeah but not the manifold.
Hmm she may have actually said gasket now I think about it. Honestly once I found out it was covered nothing else really mattered to me.

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
1,144 Posts
Yeah, really, sounds odd. BUT "Covered" is the key word. And if it is something exhaust related, you think they wouldn't have had to jerk the OP around, shouldn't take too long to figure out. If it was something like a blown gasket, they can make some horrible noises, and cause zero internal damage. Also, I bet the OP changes oil more often now, just sayin' just to get rid of that concern ;-)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #193
Yeah, really, sounds odd. BUT "Covered" is the key word. And if it is something exhaust related, you think they wouldn't have had to jerk the OP around, shouldn't take too long to figure out. If it was something like a blown gasket, they can make some horrible noises, and cause zero internal damage. Also, I bet the OP changes oil more often now, just sayin' just to get rid of that concern ;-)
I think a hole in the engine block kinda negates the zero internal damage theory. I'll probably change it more often just to not have to go through this again. Least till the warranty is up.

·
Registered
106 Posts
W. T. F.
hole in the block and not covered.
backwards exhaust manifold/gasket.“We‘ll take care of it”
Lol I’m literally laughing out loud typing this.

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
629 Posts
The best part about this thread was all the people foaming at the mouth waiting for FCA to deny the warranty. Only to find out that the engine wasn't even blow.
Ha!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #196
Guys the engine was blown. Had 3 people confirm the hole in the block. The gasket being backwards was the cause of it. Least that's what Dodge said.

·
Registered
9,222 Posts
None of this thread is making any sense at all now.

71k on engine. Hole in block confirmed. Backward gasket caused failure (at 71k?)

I've got some lakeside property, with a moutain in the back yard, cheap too! LMAO

·
Registered
106 Posts
I’m glad your car is getting fixed on their dime. Whatever the problem was. Lol

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
14,784 Posts

A Guy

181 - 200 of 221 Posts