Dodge Challenger Forum banner

241 - 249 of 249 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger R/T
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #241
Took a while that's for sure, but all's well that ends well. Thanks for the update.

Just a reminder: Be sure to follow new engine break in guidelines and if not forbidden by the owners manual or the paperwork with the replacement engine early oil/filter services.
yeah I'm going to take her easy for the next 500mi or so and get a new oil change at about 3k

·
Registered
29 Posts
Glad to hear you got it resolved!

Just my two cents but the mileage in / out stood out as oddly suspicious to me at 75k miles. I went back to your original post and saw you stated roughly 71k miles. If I were you, I'd demand they update the invoice to reflect the actual mileage for several reasons, but mainly because if this record of service ends up being reported to an agency such as Carfax stating it was performed this month at 75k miles and then you renew your registration next month when it is showing 72k miles, etc. these conflicting numbers will raise a flag about your odometer readings being suspect.

Having been through the lemon process before I cannot stress how important it is to see true odometer readings on service records!

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
yeah I'm going to take her easy for the next 500mi or so and get a new oil change at about 3k
Up to you but my SOP and what I recommend with a new engine is an oil/filter service at fewer miles than 3K. With my new Hellcat -- for example -- I had the oil/filter service done at 500 miles, then again 2K miles (end of "break in"), then at 5K miles. Since then every 5K miles or 6 months. (One winter season I only put 3K miles on the car in 6 months. More recently -- this winter -- I was just short of 5K miles when the 6 month oil/filter service deadline arrived.)

·
Registered
2018 Challenger R/T Plus - Billet Clearcoat
278 Posts
Yea I wouldn't use Amsoil anymore lol. It's a 5.7, it doesn't even Need synthetic oil.

My Ram I use regular 5-20 in it and change it every 4k. Has 102k miles. My Challenger also is a 5.7. Got it used and haven't changed the oil but going to use the same. Only have gone 1k miles since I got it end of Nov. I work four miles away lol...and drive my truck half the time.

·
Super Moderator
15,437 Posts
Yea I wouldn't use Amsoil anymore lol. It's a 5.7, it doesn't even Need synthetic oil.

My Ram I use regular 5-20 in it and change it every 4k. Has 102k miles. My Challenger also is a 5.7. Got it used and haven't changed the oil but going to use the same. Only have gone 1k miles since I got it end of Nov. I work four miles away lol...and drive my truck half the time.
with your short drive, its wise to do severe service as 4 miles isn't enough for the oil to get hot enough to drive out condensation. I'd still recommend a synthetic - much better on upper cylinder wear and valve train

·
Registered
2018 Challenger R/T Plus - Billet Clearcoat
278 Posts
with your short drive, its wise to do severe service as 4 miles isn't enough for the oil to get hot enough to drive out condensation. I'd still recommend a synthetic - much better on upper cylinder wear and valve train
Thing is , I don't think it has ever had synthetic oil in it. Car Fax don't say, just says serviced. I know i cant go back to regular after using synthetic, but I can start using it?
And actually the car warms up way faster than my truck does. The truck has a bigger front grill for air and doesn't have the engine cover on it that the car has.

·
Registered
2018 Dodge Challenger T/A Plus in Yellow Jacket w/5.7L and A8 automatic
1,026 Posts
Thing is , I don't think it has ever had synthetic oil in it. I know i cant go back to regular after using synthetic, but I can start using it?
Your car could give a sh!t less if it has Dino oil in it this change and synthetic the next change........

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Thing is , I don't think it has ever had synthetic oil in it. Car Fax don't say, just says serviced. I know i cant go back to regular after using synthetic, but I can start using it?
And actually the car warms up way faster than my truck does. The truck has a bigger front grill for air and doesn't have the engine cover on it that the car has.
You can probably switch to synthetic oil without any problems. I say "probably" as there is the (slight) risk the mineral oil you have been using and the synthetic oil you might chose to use are not miscible.

If in the case of your car if Dodge lists a mineral oil or alternative synthetic oil you can probably next oil change just fill the engine with synthetic oil. There would be no need to flush the last remnants of the mineral oil out of the engine.

If you want some extra assurance you can check with the maker of the synthetic oil you want to use and see if it has any cautions about the miscibility of its oil with mineral oil.

It is important that once you make the change to synthetic oil if you need to top up the oil level you top up with the same oil that is in the engine. No using any left over mineral oil for topping up the oil level with synthetic oil in the engine.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Sooo

What failure caused the windowed block?

That said nothing about an exhaust manifold being installed backwards.

Engine nock sounds like spun bearing.

Spun bearing sounds like oil issues.

241 - 249 of 249 Posts