Dodge Challenger Forum banner

21 - 40 of 249 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
1,439 Posts
You may be willing to risk (some) dollars in this bet but the owner has at risk possibly thousands of dollars. All to save a few bucks on oil changes.

My thinking is I would rather see a stack of receipts for oil changes rather than one receipt for a replacement engine.

In one case I drove a car enough miles that it racked up at least 63 oil changes (an oil change every 5K miles). Roughly this cost me (over 16 years) and conservatively $12,600 (63 * $200) and the amount could easily be 50% higher, what the heck call it $18,000. Some few years ago I priced a replacement engine and the cost was $26,000, without a usable core which is what the OP has facing him what with a hole in the block and all. And had I not followed the oil change schedule I followed over 317K miles I might have had to replace the engine more than once. I note the OP has but 71K miles on his car. 317K miles divided by 71K miles is 4.4. At a failure rate of every 71K miles to save say the full $18,000 I spent on oil changes I could have spent $100K on replacement engines.
Uh, I get your point, but none of those amounts are valid. An oil change, at dodge is below $100, and that will maintain the warranty. And a replacement engine is about 1/3 that price as well.
The main thing is, any lights come on? Low oil pressure, over heating? And if driven that way, it is all on you, if not, hope the oil warranty is valid, I doubt Chrysler will help. They may do something like split the parts and you pay labor, but sure can't hurt to ask.

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger R/T
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I had no lights, oil pressure warnings, or leaks. I didn't hear anything wrong with the engine either prior to failure.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I run the Mobil 1 extended performance oil (rated 15k) and Mobil 1 synthetic filter (rated 20k). I change the oil and filter every 10k, which for me is twice a year. My R/T is at 160k and still running great.

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
1,439 Posts
I had no lights, oil pressure warnings, or leaks. I didn't hear anything wrong with the engine either prior to failure.
OK, good luck with Amsoil. I hope it all works out, and quickly, that has to suck. Worst case, figure about $3500, maybe less for a used low mile engine. Anything less that that will probably be a win. (plus labor if you can't do it yourself or with buddies)

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Uh, I get your point, but none of those amounts are valid. An oil change, at dodge is below $100, and that will maintain the warranty. And a replacement engine is about 1/3 that price as well.
The main thing is, any lights come on? Low oil pressure, over heating? And if driven that way, it is all on you, if not, hope the oil warranty is valid, I doubt Chrysler will help. They may do something like split the parts and you pay labor, but sure can't hurt to ask.
While I did some oil changes myself the cost in parts/supplies alone was $100+. Then when I had the service done at the dealer it was just under $200. A few years before I sold the car in late 2017 oil changes were up to nearly $400.

The $200 average cost per oil change is conservative.

With my Hellcat, while oil changes started out under $100 they are now up to $140+.

And sure for the car in question that engine replacement cost was insane. But it was what it was. Fortunately I didn't need to replace the engine.

Even if the replacement engine cost is "just" $8000 (plus call it $1000 for labor to drop the old engine and install the new one), $9000 / $150 is 60. $9000 buys one 60 oil changes at $150/each. At 5K miles per oil change that 60 represents 300K miles of oil changes or one replacement engine. And I note the OP's engine didn't fail at 300K miles but at 71K miles.

So I still think oil changes are the least expensive way to go rather than go the extended oil change route and hope nothing goes wrong and if it does Dodge (in this case) is ok with the extended oil changes (this even though Dodge states in the warranty booklet regular servicing, and using fluids called for in the owners manual, is a condition to keep the warranty in effect). And if Dodge still insists on denying the claim the oil maker steps up.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
One thing is for sure, I will not use this oil again. Too much of a risk and I can do cheaper oil changes on the reg. I went with this oil because it was highly rated and seemed like the best I could use for my car.

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,891 Posts
I’d bet dollars to donuts your failure had absolutely nothing to do with you oil or change intervals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If they can confirm you did not stick to the maintenance schedule, they will deny your claim, regardless of bets, dollars, or donuts on the line.

·
Registered
9,314 Posts
FCA sets the service schedule that needs to be followed to keep the powertrain warranty valid. Dealers have to take the change schedule into account, and forward this info to FCA when a failure occurs.

Amzoil, well they sell oil. I'll leave it at that, other than you won't see a penny from them.

It's safe to say that this failure will be on your dime.

Live and learn.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I run the Mobil 1 extended performance oil (rated 15k) and Mobil 1 synthetic filter (rated 20k). I change the oil and filter every 10k, which for me is twice a year. My R/T is at 160k and still running great.
Honestly, like mentioned above, it's probably not the oils fault that the engine had as issue - but using the appropriate oil and oil change intervals just limits the risk of voiding the warranty... To me, it's pretty simple - use recommended oil/intervals and keep the warranty in tact - or use "other" oil/intervals and risk warranty coverage.

Just not worth the risk, IMO... It's easy to change oil - especially if you use something like a Valvomax easy-drain valve...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Honestly, like mentioned above, it's probably not the oils fault that the engine had as issue - but using the appropriate oil and oil change intervals just limits the risk of voiding the warranty... To me, it's pretty simple - use recommended oil/intervals and keep the warranty in tact - or use "other" oil/intervals and risk warranty coverage.

Just not worth the risk, IMO... It's easy to change oil - especially if you use something like a Valvomax easy-drain valve...
yeah… I see that now. Hindsight's always 20/20

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
yeah… I see that now. Hindsight's always 20/20
Yes, I completely understand - and I really do feel for you. I can't even imagine being in your situation. I really do hope that I'm wrong and that either Dodge or Amsoil takes care of you - but I would keep your expectations in check, just in case... ;-)

The worst part is that it's very unlikely that the oil you used was the root cause - it's just that they'll use that as an excuse not to pay for the repair - which is very unfortunate - but I do understand Dodge's point of view as well.

Good luck, man - we're pulling for you...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I get Dodges point of view as well. Just looking at it objectively, engines don't fail for no reason and if I see you haven't changed your oil in awhile I'm going to point to that as the cause. But from my point of view, it's a V8. I want it to run smoothly and I'm going to put high dollar oil in it to make sure of it and I got the best I could get.

I've looked at Amsoils warranty and I'm pretty sure ill be covered but I really hope Dodge finds something else wrong with it.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
The longer you go between oil changes the more contaminates will be in the oil. Even though the oil might still be doing it's job the other stuff is still there. I don't know your weather but it's possible that there is condensation in the system that then froze and didn't allow the proper oil circulation at startup. Then your engine croaked almost immediately after that.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I'm in Florida and its the winter right now. Low humidity and 50s/60s temp range that morning

If there's contaminates in the oil then I would hope Amsoil sees them.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
6,812 Posts
During the 11kmiles did you check the oil level? On my +100kmile 5.7 JGC I lose a quart of oil about every couple of months.

·
Registered
555 Posts
If they can confirm you did not stick to the maintenance schedule, they will deny your claim, regardless of bets, dollars, or donuts on the line.
Yeah , I know he’s fu(ked on that front. But to all who think he blew his motor due to extended oil change intervals are just nuts....

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Yeah , I know he’s fu(ked on that front. But to all who think he blew his motor due to extended oil change intervals are just nuts....

The sudden and severe catastrophic failure does not "read" like a failure related to an oil problem. But we don't have enough info to make the call one way or the other. And depending upon what the OP chooses to share with us and the level of detail, we may never have enough info.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts

Agree, if anything it would cause premature wear on parts...

21 - 40 of 249 Posts