Dodge Challenger Forum banner

41 - 60 of 249 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger R/T
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
I haven't done the tear down yet so I don't have any other info to give yet. Once the tear down is done I will share more.

·
Premium Member
2,268 Posts
I’d bet dollars to donuts your failure had absolutely nothing to do with you oil or change intervals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm in full agreement with you here. With modern day oil, sludge isn't an issue unless you don't change the oil for a few years.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Considering the block has a hole in it I wonder if a valve seat dropped?
No first hand experience with this failure but my 2nd hand info is the piston pounds the seat into the head (and of course messes the piston crown up something horrible at the same time). But if the seat happened to end up in the worst possible position -- on edge -- this might cause the rod to bend/snap.

Just have to wait and see what turns up from a tear down.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Yeah , I know he’s fu(ked on that front. But to all who think he blew his motor due to extended oil change intervals are just nuts....
Agree, if anything it would cause premature wear on parts...
I also agree this had nothing to do with the oil or the 11,000 miles since it was last changed. Amsoil is good stuff.
I have used Amsoil for years and have gone over 20,000 miles on the same oil on my daily drivers. Never had an issue.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
If you have the $$$ it's a good time to have Steve White Motors drop a crate 392 in there ;):)

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
6,773 Posts
No first hand experience with this failure but my 2nd hand info is the piston pounds the seat into the head (and of course messes the piston crown up something horrible at the same time). But if the seat happened to end up in the worst possible position -- on edge -- this might cause the rod to bend/snap.

Just have to wait and see what turns up from a tear down.
Well there are guys with holes in the block with only piston ring landing missing so it's possible. Really interested on what they find with a teardown OP and good luck with the dealership.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
15,727 Posts
So, the issue is likely not oil related, but that's the line Dodge will take, not what oil was used, but change interval. They may tear it down and not come to that conclusion, but because they can, that may well be the outcome.

Now, you are on to Amsoil, if they test your samples and detect no oil breakdown that would cause the failure, they are supposed to be your advocate with Dodge. Giving Dodge info to support that their oil did not cause the failure. Ultimately if Dodge does not budge, Amsoil is supposed to cover it and then go at Dodge themselves.

I'm sure this is not a short process even if it goes as stated. Dodge has set intervals that were not met, this is clear. That this caused or contributed to the failure may not be provable, but that it did not may only be Amsoil saying it didn't (even with proof).

Unless Dodge tears it down, says oil was not the cause, we'll cover it, you'll have to get the ball rolling either way. And hope you'll have it covered somehow.

Please keep us up to date on how this goes. I've yet to see anyone get to the point Amsoil covered the repair, either because they get the manufacturer to, or no one who has been stuck posts about it (and anyone who gets screwed posts about it!)

A Guy

·
Registered
432 Posts
They are saying I don't have enough scheduled oil changes on it which I don't...

The mileage on my car is a lil over 71k and I only put about 11k on that synthetic oil. Really hoping something is up with the engine and Dodge fixes it under warranty.
If I'm reading this correctly you followed normal oil change intervals up to 60k miles, then switched to Amsoil 11k miles ago?

How many oil changes/what were the intervals before you switched to Amsoil?

Rough situation, sorry to hear the news.

·
Registered
14,073 Posts
What Amsoil were you running? Some Amsoil does not have the API certification required by FCA so it would be a risky choice even if you maintained the recommended schedule.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Boosted Stroked 2014 Shaker M6
2,343 Posts
One thing is for sure, I will not use this oil again. Too much of a risk and I can do cheaper oil changes on the reg. I went with this oil because it was highly rated and seemed like the best I could use for my car.
I run Amsoil Signature and their filters in all of my vehicles, and I change the oil at 25,000 miles or one year, which ever comes first. My 2004 Dodge Ram 2500 Hemi is still running like the day I got it, and not only does it not use any oil, when I change the oil, it looks the same as the new oil I'm putting in it. BTW, my Ram is at 200,000 miles.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I run Amsoil Signature and their filters in all of my vehicles, and I change the oil at 25,000 miles or one year, which ever comes first. My 2004 Dodge Ram 2500 Hemi is still running like the day I got it, and not only does it not use any oil, when I change the oil, it looks the same as the new oil I'm putting in it. BTW, my Ram is at 200,000 miles.
You're missing the point here... Regardless of whether or not the oil was related to the failure, you are risking warranty coverage if a failure does occur because you weren't following the recommended oil/oil change interval specified by Dodge in order to keep the warranty in-tact.

I think we all agree that the Amsoil oil probably wasn't the root cause - but by not following the recommend oil and oil change interval, your warranty is automatically at risk.

It it really worth it to avoid a few oil changes??

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
How much warranty is left on a 2015?

What oil is recommended by dodge and what exactly meets their spec?

I only ask because i go to Midas and their use 5W20 bot I do not know what type.

·
Registered
2016 Dodge Challenger R/T Plus Shaker
135 Posts
OEs typically will quickly point their finger at maintenance and oil. If you are lucky the issue will not be oil related and FCA will step up to the plate. If it is oil related, hopefully Amsoil will step up to the plate. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Dude were you really trying to hit that 25k interval?? Jesus

I change my oil at 7K....MAX still using dull synthetic

Good luck op

·
Registered
9,313 Posts
What Amsoil were you running? Some Amsoil does not have the API certification required by FCA so it would be a risky choice even if you maintained the recommended schedule.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
The last time this subject came up, you are correct. Maybe it's changed, but I haven't checked.

Page after page of how they "exceed" certain specs, but they didn't have the rating.

Again, probably not an oil related failure, but I don't see either Amzoil or FCA paying for this repair.

IMO, better chance that FCA would step up than Amzoil.

·
Registered
Boosted Stroked 2014 Shaker M6
2,343 Posts
You're missing the point here... Regardless of whether or not the oil was related to the failure, you are risking warranty coverage if a failure does occur because you weren't following the recommended oil/oil change interval specified by Dodge in order to keep the warranty in-tact.

I think we all agree that the Amsoil oil probably wasn't the root cause - but by not following the recommend oil and oil change interval, your warranty is automatically at risk.

It it really worth it to avoid a few oil changes??
What warranty? I don't waste my money on such crap, I spend it taking care of my vehicles, which is the gist of my comments.

41 - 60 of 249 Posts