Dodge Challenger Forum banner

61 - 80 of 249 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Dodge Challenger T/A Plus in Yellow Jacket w/5.7L and A8 automatic
830 Posts
The last time this subject came up, you are correct. Maybe it's changed, but I haven't checked.

Page after page of how they "exceed" certain specs, but they didn't have the rating.

Again, probably not an oil related failure, but I don't see either Amzoil or FCA paying for this repair.

IMO, better chance that FCA would step up than Amzoil.
I’d be interesting in hearing about the oil filter the OP used.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
15,703 Posts
The idea of Amsoil saying their oils exceed the standards and they don't bother to get the certification is that if their oil can actually be proved to have been the cause they will cover it. And if it isn't the cause they will pursue it with the manufacturer, and if unsuccessful, they will cover it and go after the manufacturer themselves.

I have yet to find anyone who has gone though this, even people who did and failed, which is very odd. I would love to see the outcome either way. Closest I have seen was damaged caused by their filter which had issues they knew of and had issued a bulletin and discontinued

A Guy

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Good luck with FCA or the oil Co covering it. Think FCA can pretty much deny your claim outright as you didn’t follow the manufacturers specified intervals. They deny stuff they shouldn’t all the time so yours is all but guaranteed to be. The oil Co covering it is not an avenue I’d be all that hopeful with either. Hope you get one or the other to take care of it without a law suit but I wouldn’t bet any money on it...

·
Registered
116 Posts
I'm a little crazy with my oil changes. I do every 3500 miles with full synthetic in my '10 Challenger R/T. I believe the manual says 5k miles, but I'm not super kind to my car, and I live in the desert where it's very dusty. I do my own oil changes, so it only costs me about $50 to do full synthetic.

11k miles without an oil change seems quite excessive. Even if I weren't crazy about changing my oil all the time, and I drove my car like a grandma, I'd never go over 8k without an oil change.

·
Registered
14,073 Posts
How much warranty is left on a 2015?

What oil is recommended by dodge and what exactly meets their spec?

I only ask because i go to Midas and their use 5W20 bot I do not know what type.
2015 powertrain was 5 year 100,000 miles so still could have some left it was a late build or sold car.

FCA recommends a 5W-20 meeting MS-6395 and can be standard or synthetic oil. Brand name is irrelevant as long as it meets these two specs.

Service requirement for 3.6L and 5.7L in 2015 was to change when the oil monitoring system said to change but in no case more than 1 year or 10,000 miles.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
432 Posts
Are we going to get any pics of the engine/condition of the oil? One w/a valve cover remolded would do it. Any sludge/varnish in the engine?

·
Premium Member
2012 Charger Pursuit
5,548 Posts
I’d be interesting in hearing about the oil filter the OP used.
<please don’t let it be a $1.50 jobber>

?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I take my truck and car into the dealer for oil changes, 1 because they charge me the same amount as what it would cost me to do it myself, 2 they are liable for any issues resulting from "them" screwing anything up, 3 i don't have to deal with getting rid of the used motor oil, and 4 it keeps a record of all service done to my vehicles (so i don't have to prove that i've done the service work)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Was driving to work and only made it a half mile from my house before a loud bang proceeding with my engine sounding like two shoes in a dryer. Had a couple of mechanics look at it and I have a hole in the engine block (pretty sure I threw a rod). Not sure what happened, car gave me no signs of engine failure. No oil leaks, clicking that I could hear, smoke, the engine light didn't even come on when it blew. I took it to Dodge but they haven't granted the powertrain warranty yet. They are saying I don't have enough scheduled oil changes on it which I don't, but here's the thing. I use Amsoil Sig Series full synthetic which is rated for 25k miles, so I don't change my oil very often because of this. Amsoil even has a warranty on their oil for this specific case.

I ended up getting a couple samples of the oil to send to Amsoil to test and make sure that was not the cause. I still need to give approval for Dodge to do the engine tear down which I will do once the test results are back.

I looked at the oil samples too and it looked fine. Barely black, more of a dark brown and very liquidity. No slush or any other impurity defects that I could see.

I am wondering what would cause this?? The mileage on my car is a lil over 71k and I only put about 11k on that synthetic oil. Really hoping something is up with the engine and Dodge fixes it under warranty.
As inexpensive as oil and filter are, i change out both every 3 to 4 k. Everything i have owned gets this same interval and i have never had any issues EVER. This was drilled into me at a very young age by my diesel mechanic/farmer father. Oil degrades with age from contamination due to the by products of burning gas. This is by far worse in a diesel engine. Just cheap insurance and piece of mind. Which rod decided to go on vacation?

·
Registered
7 Posts
the oil change interval is 8k or 6 months on the 5.7 - so its pretty slim chances that FCA will warranty your engine (5 yr / 100k) as you've gone beyond the stated intervals.

Your next hope is if Amsoil will pick up the warranty claim.

In the end, if an owner expects to have the manufacturer warranty to cover things - use the maker's maintenance / service schedule.
I park my '12 R/T in the barn for half the year and change the oil come spring. That's more than six months, obviously, but I assume it's enough. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2016 Challenger R/T Shaker
55 Posts
$145 for an oil change?! Yikes. I pay about $30-40 when I change my own. I go with full synthetic and synthetic capable filter. I also clean/change my air filter at the same time (about $10).
As long as you followed the guidelines in the manual, you shouldn't be denied. You may have to lawyer - up if you get too much push back. ?

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Sheesh, Walmart sells penzoil pure premium for 22 bucks a 5q jug, and a decent filter- bosch, wix, mobile1, will set you back maybe 10-12. that's about 50 bucks every 6k. that about 850 bucks per 100k miles. hows that sound to all the Amsoil lovers out there. Snake oil.

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
1,428 Posts
$145 for an oil change?! Yikes. I pay about $30-40 when I change my own. I go with full synthetic and synthetic capable filter. I also clean/change my air filter at the same time (about $10).
As long as you followed the guidelines in the manual, you shouldn't be denied. You may have to lawyer - up if you get too much push back. ?
The thing is current SRT engines require the only 1 specific oil, and it is basically $8-$9 a quart (no jugs), so a change is about $70 if you do it yourself. Still, not a ton of money, call it double a bargain oil change, maybe less than double since 7 quarts are needed. If you aren't required to get the Shell-Ferrari-Penzoil make work program oil, there are a ton of high quality oils that can save another $15 or so.

·
Registered
9,311 Posts
The thing is current SRT engines require the only 1 specific oil, and it is basically $8-$9 a quart (no jugs), so a change is about $70 if you do it yourself. Still, not a ton of money, call it double a bargain oil change, maybe less than double since 7 quarts are needed. If you aren't required to get the Shell-Ferrari-Penzoil make work program oil, there are a ton of high quality oils that can save another $15 or so.
Yep, about $70 per change, twice a year.

The way that I look at it, if $140 a year is too much money, then someone bought the wrong car.

Just part of owning a 392 and keeping the powertrain warranty in tack.

·
Registered
301 Posts
We run John Deere bulk oil on our farm everything from semi trucks to tractors to our picks and little Honda motors and personal vehicles. Never once had any incident where oil was the culprit of an engine going bad. But we also change the oil 5,000 on our vehicles and under 250 hours on tractors and under 10,000 miles on our semis. I would rather use cheap oil and change it regularly than expensive oil and go as long as they say you can.

61 - 80 of 249 Posts