Dodge Challenger Forum banner

161 - 180 of 251 Posts

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Absolutely yes.
Well, I suspect we would then have have a big brouhaha about customers being upset that 6 months or more of warranty was gone and the only thing to show for it was the fact the car had an oil change after 6 months with just a handful of miles on the car at the cost of 6 months of warranty.

Look Dodge doesn't plan on these cars sitting unsold for months and months let alone a year or more.

A 30 day supply of cars is a lot. 60 days is not very good at all. I bought a new 2001 Camaro Z28 back in Sept of 2001 when GM had a 200+ day supply of these cars. Got a heck of a discount. $7K off of sticker and the GM didn't even blink. The salesman wanted to cry when the GM accepted my offer though cause his commission was $0.

I would not have a problem buying a new car with a couple of months of having sat on the lot. Except for the Camaro (and maybe a long time ago when I bought a Tempo that was one MY old) my car purchases have been cars that have not been sitting around for very long.

When I was shopping for my Hellcat there were left over 2017 and even a few 2016 examples around. But I had no desire to buy one for 2 reasons. One is the fact the car had been sitting around for a year or 2 and almost certainly the car had been "punched" and the warranty clock had been running for a good while.

Two is at least based on what others reported when they looked into buying a left over the deals were not all that good.

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
2,037 Posts
Zero issues with letting a car sit. How many people have nice Challengers as summer toys and let them sit for many months on end. Or any other car out there, personally I try to start and move my old El Camino at least every 3-4 weeks just so it isn't sitting with the same part of the gears out of the oil in the transmission and rear and, and same place on the tires. Also so hopefully at random different valve springs are sitting compressed for weeks on end.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,375 Posts
Well one issue is critters gnawing at the wires under the engine bay...have seen a couple of posts about that...and those are guys who had them in a garage, not on an open lot.

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
How would anyone know if letting a car sit isn't doing any damage if they're not racking up miles? Sure, a sitting car can last 10 years if it barely gets driven, but will it ever reach the same mileage as a car that was driven nearly every day?

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
dryer sheets keep them away.
This is often stated to be the case. Hard to believe critters that crawl in garbage, rummage through cat litter trays, and so on, would be put off by dryer sheets unless they were so thick the mice would have to crawl through them like leaves on the ground. Then who'd want to be in the car come spring with that odor present?

Regardless I'm not a fan of anything that requires the mice get in the car before they then (hopefully) get driven out again.

I advocate a clean of any junk stuff on the floor (like boxes) storage area with mice trap set along where the floor and walls meet.

My thinking is any mouse caught in the trap is one less I don't have to worry about getting into the car.

·
Registered
2016 Dodge Challenger R/T Plus Shaker
153 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Shaker Boosted 392 Stroker M6
2,608 Posts
This does work...
Tomcat Rat Killer Disposable Rat & Mouse Bait Station - Walmart.com

·
Registered
140 Posts
I too use the dryer sheets,Irish Spring in some vehicles.I seen some internet videos of someone testing these with a camera and they didn,t deter the mice in their test.Moth balls in a bowl in the engine bay also suppose to help.I have my R/T and my 1LE Camaro in a Car Capsule and haven,t had any problems.(Knock on wood)

·
Super Moderator
15,799 Posts
Wouldn't rodent damage be covered under "Comprehensive" anyway?
It would, but an older vehicle might get totaled.
A friend had rodent damage to his engine bay harnesses - over $9k in parts and labor. Even with OEM harnesses, there had been revisions in production and techs had to make modifications to make everything work (early 90's Benz)

if they get into the interior and mess with airbags (by getting into seats or headliner) it could add more to the costs

·
Registered
2016 Dodge Challenger R/T Plus Shaker
153 Posts
Reactions: Gila Hemi

·
Registered
107 Posts
There's the rub.

Admittedly the "jury" is still out on the cause of the engine failure but if the engine failure is attributed to the oil it may have cost the OP an engine to learn the oil he chose didn't work so good. If so that's going to be one expensive oil test.

My advice is to always use the oil the factory calls for or oil which is clearly labeled as being a suitable replacement for in this case Dodge oil. Change the oil and filter at least accoriding to the factory called for change interval.

My only modification to this would be to consider changing the oil/filter more often than the factory calls for. Some usage can call for more frequent oil changes: Track use for example, or lots of short trips, maybe with stop/go driving and lots of idling.

In my case my cars do not see short trips and see limited city stop and go driving. Even so while Dodge calls for 6K miles/6 month oil services for my Hellcat I have the oil changed every 5K miles (or 6 months). For my MINI JCW MINI calls for 10K mile oil services but as with the Hellcat so too with the JCW and it gets 5K mile oil/filter services.

If the owner elects to change the oil more often how more often is up to the owner. Some may go overboard but it is their car.
True dat.
I have about 95% highway miles on my car in the 120K miles I have driven it. Yes, if you do more city driving, change it out more often as we all know oil is cheaper than engines are. Keeping fluids changed regularly has paid off for me.
Your car is only as good as you, the owner, take care of it.
I'm still curious as to the OP's engine failure myself, as are several others in this thread.

·
Registered
9,487 Posts
True dat.
I have about 95% highway miles on my car in the 120K miles I have driven it. Yes, if you do more city driving, change it out more often as we all know oil is cheaper than engines are. Keeping fluids changed regularly has paid off for me.
Your car is only as good as you, the owner, take care of it.
I'm still curious as to the OP's engine failure myself, as are several others in this thread.
He's probably been to the dealer, with the oil report in his pocket.

Dealer asked the usual questions, and then asked for maintenance records and receipts.

Oil report comes out of back pocket.

Dealer says not under warranty, and if you want us to tear down the engine for failure evaluation, the cost to you will be "$$$" for us to do this.

And here we are!

Reactions: farmer52

·
Registered
2014 Shaker Boosted 392 Stroker M6
2,608 Posts
Wouldn't rodent damage be covered under "Comprehensive" anyway?
Yup, but the damage caused is usually less than the deductible if caught early.

161 - 180 of 251 Posts