Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I couldnt decide if this belonged in the exterior mod section or not, my apologies in advance if this is misplaced...

As we all know these cars have blind spots. And to each their own for differing ways of addressing this. Im planning to pick up a set of convex blind spot mirrors this weekend for my car... but im wondering, whats the best spot on the mirrors to actually put them?. Top corners? bottom corners?. How well do they usually stick on once placed?.

My first noob thread lol

·
Registered
125 Posts
Depends on how you position your mirrors now. I have them adjusted so that I can barely see the rear fender when normally looking over at the mirror. Slightly lean forward and I can see much of the next lane. In the position I have the mirror, I'd put an add on at the furthest outer part of the mirror.

·
Premium Member
2,659 Posts
I put mine in the bottom left corner of drivers side and bottom right corner of passenger side.

·
Registered
2015 SRT, 6 Speed, Sublime Green
1,469 Posts
Mine is equipped with the blind spot detection sensors, which I think are great. I placed convex mirrors on the outside lower corners to avoid blocking the triangles that illuminate to warn of objects in the blind spots. Convex mirrors are so wide angle that placing them up or down, or left or right on a small surface as the side view mirrors on a Challenger makes little difference. The key factor is to minimize the obstruction the convex creates.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mine is equipped with the blind spot detection sensors, which I think are great. I placed convex mirrors on the outside lower corners to avoid blocking the triangles that illuminate to warn of objects in the blind spots. Convex mirrors are so wide angle that placing them up or down, or left or right on a small surface as the side view mirrors on a Challenger makes little difference. The key factor is to minimize the obstruction the convex creates.
How do you find that aftermarket system Fyr?. My trade in had that built in. I knew my SRT didnt have that getting into it lol, its only a 13, but heck if i can retrofit it with that that would be cool!. Do you have any pics of how the sensors look on your mirrors?. From the product pics its hard to visualize what they would look like on the car, do they stand out at all?.

·
Registered
14,291 Posts
I definitely love the blind spot detection system on the new cars.

On my 14, I thought about adding the convex mirrors but never did. I did end up adjusting my mirrors as shown in this video and while it took some getting used to, it definitely helped.

https://youtu.be/2tDI4ThwdXg

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
How do you find that aftermarket system Fyr?. My trade in had that built in. I knew my SRT didnt have that getting into it lol, its only a 13, but heck if i can retrofit it with that that would be cool!. Do you have any pics of how the sensors look on your mirrors?. From the product pics its hard to visualize what they would look like on the car, do they stand out at all?.
Sorry if I wasn't clear. Mine is equipped with the factory version that comes in the Driver's Convenience Package. I don't know anything about after market items.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I definitely love the blind spot detection system on the new cars.

On my 14, I thought about adding the convex mirrors but never did. I did end up adjusting my mirrors as shown in this video and while it took some getting used to, it definitely helped.

https://youtu.be/2tDI4ThwdXg

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
My father was a director of safety for the DOD, and once he learned this method of adjusting mirrors he taught everyone in the family. Been using it for over 10 years now, and cannot imagine having my mirrors positioned any other way. Even in my Challenger, there is virtually nowhere for another car to hide!

·
Registered
515 Posts
My father was a director of safety for the DOD, and once he learned this method of adjusting mirrors he taught everyone in the family. Been using it for over 10 years now, and cannot imagine having my mirrors positioned any other way. Even in my Challenger, there is virtually nowhere for another car to hide!
This is correct, blind spots do not exist if your mirrors are positioned correctly.

Most people do not have them set up correctly.

If you see any part of your car in the mirror, they are not correct. They are side view mirrors not extra rear view ones.

Shortly after I bought mine, i found a video on setting them up. It feels very weird at first, and absolutly makes it harder to back into parking spots and such, but it totally works. I see the same part of other cars in my rear view and side view, then on my side view and side window.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Here is how I positioned my passenger blind spot mirror. Bought it at the car wash and used a Dremel Tool to remove the black housing and the 2 pieces of 3M tape.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
The passenger side mirror is wide angle as it sits. I would like to have that same type mirror on the driver side as well. I asked in a thread similar to this one long ago if this style mirror was available to no avail.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I'm real particular about where the 'horizon' is in my mirrors - I like to be able to 'sweep' my outside view and have everything line up.
My add on mirror is almost centered at the extreme edge, about center and continues that horizon line.
Amazon has some fairly cheap real glass circles with no frame - almost flush at edge.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Depends on how you position your mirrors now. I have them adjusted so that I can barely see the rear fender when normally looking over at the mirror. Slightly lean forward and I can see much of the next lane. In the position I have the mirror, I'd put an add on at the furthest outer part of the mirror.
Exactly depends on the position of your mirror.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I just positioned my mirrors correctly, I already know what my car looks like so I don't need to see my car when I look in the mirror

1 - 14 of 14 Posts