Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As im getting closer and closer to pulling the trigger on a blower for my car, one thing that's actually been making me jump back and forth from which blower I'll get is the sound. So I figured I'll start a thread where all of you boosted guys can post some sound clips of what your ride sounds like. Idle clips, blow off valves, spools, and WOT blower whines, whatever you got let's hear it. Might help some other people decide which route to go too.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,347 Posts
All I can say is maggies are quiet...you really only here a little whine when you get on it. It's also quiet at idle with AC on. Basically it is truly a sleeper.

Now some folks with other PD superchargers have had issues at idle with the AC on.

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I love how the maggie is quiet at idle but I also wish it was a little louder when u step on it. I guess you can't have both. What's your intake setup like? Open air box?

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,347 Posts
Just running an HC intake with HC filter. IATs are around 30F higher than ambient. Max I see in stop and go is around 150F on a hot day. Not a fan of the maggie intercooler/pump and plan to upgrade to a whipple intercooler (still undecided on pump) but that's after I do big brake upgrade...maybe next year.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
18,591 Posts

A Guy :D

Reactions: NiteFlyer

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Now that's what I'm talking about, a true sleeper and I bet its great for daily driving. I'm very jealous it doesn't have rust on the rear quarter panel

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
They all have pro’s and Con’s just try to get the most power for the dollar you have available to spend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
2,879 Posts
So what type of sound are you after? Do you want whistle (turbo) or whine (centrifugal with standard gears) or the sound of loud BOV's (a 50mm Tial Q valve or two)?

Do you want more low end, tire shredding torque (Whipple, TVS, etc) or more manageable power delivery (either a centrifugal or a pair of turbo's)? All of these things can determine which one that I'd recommend.

I had a Vortech T-Trim (basically the same blower as a ProCharger D1SC) on our old Vette and it ran like a champ and the power delivery was perfect for what I wanted. The bottom end was pretty much stock LS1 and then when it cane into boost, it just went up until redline. With the blower and an LPE GT2 cam, a set of LQ9/317 heads (dropped compression a full point), I ended up going from 320 RWHP to 604 RWHP (9-10 psi of boost)! That as enough power to get our Vette to run 10.52 @ 131-132 mph on some Nitto R's. I had the gears cut to make it quieter, but you could still hear the blower without the can of marbles that come along with it.

Like I said, it depends on what you want it to sound and drive like. If I were to mod Ruby, then I'd go the twin turbo route just because of the way that it delivers power, the ability to upgrade and control boost on the fly. You also don't have to worry about belts breaking or slipping

That's just me though. Good Luck and Please let us know what you decide to do.

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So what type of sound are you after? Do you want whistle (turbo) or whine (centrifugal with standard gears) or the sound of loud BOV's (a 50mm Tial Q valve or two)?

Do you want more low end, tire shredding torque (Whipple, TVS, etc) or more manageable power delivery (either a centrifugal or a pair of turbo's)? All of these things can determine which one that I'd recommend.

I had a Vortech T-Trim (basically the same blower as a ProCharger D1SC) on our old Vette and it ran like a champ and the power delivery was perfect for what I wanted. The bottom end was pretty much stock LS1 and then when it cane into boost, it just went up until redline. With the blower and an LPE GT2 cam, a set of LQ9/317 heads (dropped compression a full point), I ended up going from 320 RWHP to 604 RWHP (9-10 psi of boost)! That as enough power to get our Vette to run 10.52 @ 131-132 mph on some Nitto R's. I had the gears cut to make it quieter, but you could still hear the blower without the can of marbles that come along with it.

Like I said, it depends on what you want it to sound and drive like. If I were to mod Ruby, then I'd go the twin turbo route just because of the way that it delivers power, the ability to upgrade and control boost on the fly. You also don't have to worry about belts breaking or slipping

That's just me though. Good Luck and Please let us know what you decide to do.
I'm pretty much set on the Magnuson kit, with the p1x as my backup. I love the hellcat blower whine on our cars, but really any kind of boost sounds awesome. My main point for this thread was to get a bunch of sound clips of all the different types of boost people are running, to compare and also help anyone who's in the market decide on which sound they like. I daily my car to college still so I'm just gonna run a mild 6lbs on top of my cam and bolt ons, not planning on turning it into a race car or anything, just a fast street car that I can proudly say I built myself. I'm getting closer and closer tho, about 2 paychecks away from pulling the trigger

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
18,591 Posts
The Hellcat/Demon whine is awesome. I'n not a fan of the whoosh of blow off valves, but have only heard on the V6, and perhaps with the growl of a V8, they don't sound like a big rig air brake

A Guy

Reactions: DRAG CITY

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just running an HC intake with HC filter. IATs are around 30F higher than ambient. Max I see in stop and go is around 150F on a hot day. Not a fan of the maggie intercooler/pump and plan to upgrade to a whipple intercooler (still undecided on pump) but that's after I do big brake upgrade...maybe next year.
Yea I was talking to my tuner and he was saying the same thing, that the Maggie's get very hot especially when you go over 8psi. I think I saw somewhere that it's the same intercooler used in the LS9. But I'm gonna be running the 6lb kit for as long as I can until the power crave hits me again so I'll be fine.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,347 Posts
Yea I was talking to my tuner and he was saying the same thing, that the Maggie's get very hot especially when you go over 8psi. I think I saw somewhere that it's the same intercooler used in the LS9. But I'm gonna be running the 6lb kit for as long as I can until the power crave hits me again so I'll be fine.
Honestly you will be fine with 8psi on a 5.7. When I had stock exhaust manifolds boost never hit 8 psi...was more like 7.6. With headers boost dropped to high 6 low 7s. They say run 91 octane or better and I run shell 93 religiously...no issues since 2017 and I beat on the motor sometimes like a red-headed step donkey. There was a member here that upgraded the intercooler (whipple) and pump and it made a noticeable difference in IAT.

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Honestly you will be fine with 8psi on a 5.7. When I had stock exhaust manifolds boost never hit 8 psi...was more like 7.6. With headers boost dropped to high 6 low 7s. They say run 91 octane or better and I run shell 93 religiously...no issues since 2017 and I beat on the motor sometimes like a red-headed step donkey. There was a member here that upgraded the intercooler (whipple) and pump and it made a noticeable difference in IAT.
Ik 8lbs is still reliable, but I'm hoping doing 6lbs first will satisfy me for a bit so that way I can then upgrade again to 8lbs when I get power hungry again, cuz as we all know it's really an addiction that you can't crave. That's actually part of the reason I chose to get a 5.7 instead of a 6.1 and 6.4 I was also looking at. And I'm only 20, so maybe it's not a bad thing to have a little less power available to me.

Reactions: ChallyTatum

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
2,879 Posts
Ik 8lbs is still reliable, but I'm hoping doing 6lbs first will satisfy me for a bit so that way I can then upgrade again to 8lbs when I get power hungry again, cuz as we all know it's really an addiction that you can't crave. That's actually part of the reason I chose to get a 5.7 instead of a 6.1 and 6.4 I was also looking at. And I'm only 20, so maybe it's not a bad thing to have a little less power available to me.
There's nothing wrong with having the power if you can Safely and Responsibly use it. You have to remember that there is a time and place to let it loose. Just Please be smart about it.

In the words of Peter Parker/Spiderman's Uncle Ben: "With Great power, comes Great Responsibility!" Truer words were never spoken!

Sorry for the preaching and now back to our regularly scheduled program! :D

·
Registered
80 Posts
Do you have Instagram? I have a few videos of my whipple RT on there @g_walker9

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Do you have Instagram? I have a few videos of my whipple RT on there @g_walker9
Just followed, that .44 is sick, im getting one for my 21st too in a few months

·
Registered
80 Posts
Just followed, that .44 is sick, im getting one for my 21st too in a few months
It’s slick for sure. Btw my whipple is running about 10lbs of boost stock bottoms I believe a 3.325 pulley idk I’ll check later. It’s one of the first whipple Hemi kits before they realized they were sending 10lb pulleys. 15k miles on it no issues

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It’s slick for sure. Btw my whipple is running about 10lbs of boost stock bottoms I believe a 3.325 pulley idk I’ll check later. It’s one of the first whipple Hemi kits before they realized they were sending 10lb pulleys. 15k miles on it no issues
Good to know, I'm only gonna be on 6-7lbs and I'm gonna be commuting to school when ever it opens back up so reliability is a concern

1 - 20 of 20 Posts