Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2012 392 mt. I put on a EdelBrock SC kit 7 psi, Arrington high flow fuel pump, bbk 90 mil tb, catch can, 180 t stat, MOPAR cai, custom dyno tune (exhaust stock i hate exhaust work).

The car runs great on a recently recalibrated dyno jet with the ETs in a good place- 603.64 whp, 548.17 rwt. Stock Hellcats in this dyno r making 630s to 640s. I kinda want to forge.. but I am sick of car work atm.

I would like to know from you guys who had their motors fail, how you drove them, any signs to look out for, and the setups you were running as far as tune, etc. Thanks.

·
Registered
380 Posts
You gotta pay to play. Half measures won't protect your engine from failure.

6psi is the max recommended on stock bottom end for 392s.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Dear Srt8finallymine
how did you get on with your question as to your supercharger kit ?
I have the same kit (1535) being fitted end of May, yes I to have that dought? about internals , I have till end of May to really think very very hard should I fit it ??????? I do however will not be pushing this hard, its just for every day driving, and just to have that kick
now and then
lets us know how you`ve got on ?

·
Registered
190 Posts
to all
Why the hell don`t Dodge fit forged internals ????? from the start they bloody well now we what to play with our cars
to me its another $$$$$$$ grabber !
Correct me , but don`t the new mustangs got forged as standard ? ( sorry chaps I mentioned mustangs !!!)

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts
to all
Why the hell don`t Dodge fit forged internals ????? from the start they bloody well now we what to play with our cars
Correct me , but don`t the new mustangs got forged as standard ? ( sorry chaps I mentioned mustangs !!!)
It's cheaper not to...

·
Registered
375 Posts
to all
No, the Coyote motor still uses cast pistons,

·
Registered
6,341 Posts
There are plenty of cars with hyperutectic pistons (cast) some that even run factory superchargers.

The issue is that the 392's ring gaps are not wide enough for heavy boost. All that boost raises the
cylinder temps and the rings expand more than they are gapped for and when they ends of the rings
touch they pop a chunk of the top of the piston off (they aren't very thick up there).

The thing is, no one is going to tear down a 392 and re-gap the rings and put it back together because
that would be silly.... At that point you throw in some Mahale drop in slugs and call it a day!

·
Registered
27 Posts
There are plenty of cars with hyperutectic pistons (cast) some that even run factory superchargers.

The issue is that the 392's ring gaps are not wide enough for heavy boost. All that boost raises the
cylinder temps and the rings expand more than they are gapped for and when they ends of the rings
touch they pop a chunk of the top of the piston off (they aren't very thick up there).

The thing is, no one is going to tear down a 392 and re-gap the rings and put it back together because
that would be silly.... At that point you throw in some Mahale drop in slugs and call it a day!
And stroke it! ?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Dear Toxic 11
Do you think that me only using the car just for pleasure to take out grand kiddies etc I need to go forged ? I have not yet fitted the E-Force ( Part no 1535) just using the car for normal road use , however it looks like you are all right may be I`ll just forge the pistons and connecting rods just as an idea has anyone replaced the pistons and rods while the engine is in the car ( put on a ramp bottom end to loosen off etc and draw pistons out from the top) ????? I don`t know if that can be done

·
Registered
190 Posts
ttowns 426srt
Bloody hell !!!!!!
you are right on that one it seems to me I just have now to concentrate save my money get the pistons and rods done.
I`ve done just over 9300 miles would I be able to use standard size pistons and just `hone` cross pattern inside the piston walls ?
Can I do this with the engine still in the car, only that I don`t have the space
much appreciate the help

·
Registered
502 Posts
My 16 A8 Scat is in the shop right now getting a D1 Procharger . at this shop there were a number of Hellcats that were stepping up to larger engines and I was able to score a 1400 mi Hellcat short block for 2K . my 6.4 short block is being sold to a friend for 2K . The labor/ parts cost to swap everything is 3000.00 In my mind this was a no brainer . just tossing out another option.

·
Registered
190 Posts
White R/T
What a blinding deal !!!!! you are all very fortunate over there due to the amount of Challenger`s around here in the dam a--e UK we get nothing like that !, fair play to you and I wish you
all the best
regards Tony

·
Premium Member
781 Posts
Yeah...I'm all for forged 'internals' (whatever that means) but you don't have to look hard to find plenty of engines that use non-forged con rods and cranks and pistons but still handle well over 6lbs of boost.

The Chevy 4.8/5.3L engine is well known for taking double digit boost on bone stock bottom ends and not blowing up, for example.

If the 6.4L is wanting in this regard, it's more than just 'forged vs non-forged'.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts