Dodge Challenger Forum banner

21 - 40 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
6,341 Posts
The real issue is that the ring pack is too close to the crown of the piston
No doubt the ring pack has very little "meat" above it. I still think what actually pops the metal off is the
ring gaps locking up but a thicker piston wouldn't pop the top, instead it would probably tear the hell out
of the cylinder walls.

As has been stated above, there are plenty of cars with boost with non forged pistons and rods but they
have a lot more meat in the piston dome.

·
Registered
6,341 Posts
Dear Toxic11
Did you do your internals prior to the Arrington S/Charger
if you have the time to let me
regards Tony

Sorry for the late reply, I didn't get any notification that you replied. No my engine is completely stock
internally and has almost 60k miles on it. I put the supercharger on at 49K and it's now at 59K. But it's
only running 6lbs.

·
Registered
190 Posts
yes mine is all stock Edelbrock said (Chris Sharma) the pulley with my kit is 3" and he`s assured me it runs at 6psi I don't want any more boost
eforce part no 1535

·
Registered
503 Posts
No doubt the ring pack has very little "meat" above it. I still think what actually pops the metal off is the
ring gaps locking up but a thicker piston wouldn't pop the top, instead it would probably tear the hell out
of the cylinder walls.

As has been stated above, there are plenty of cars with boost with non forged pistons and rods but they
have a lot more meat in the piston dome.
It would be interesting to open up the gaps on the OE rings and see how much more boost they would take . I don't see how aftermarket forged piston would have any more meat above the ring pack . has to be solely the material that allows the higher boost levels . I wonder if the rings on a forged piston has wider gaps . Anyone ??

·
Registered
6,341 Posts
It would be interesting to open up the gaps on the OE rings and see how much more boost they would take . I don't see how aftermarket forged piston would have any more meat above the ring pack . has to be solely the material that allows the higher boost levels . I wonder if the rings on a forged piston has wider gaps . Anyone ??

Actually I think the wrist pin bore is relocated in the Mahale pistons to allow them to add more material on
the piston crown. I might be mistaken but I thought they did do a minor design tweak to get more ring land
meat.

I bet if the OE rings were gapped right, it wouldn't be a problem to run 8, 10 I dunno that's a lot of pressure
and at that point as the piston is forced down on the compression stroke the rings might want to flex upward
which may still pop the tops of the pistons. It would be interesting to see but I know I'm not trying it! :)

·
Registered
675 Posts
The real issue is that the ring pack is too close to the crown of the piston
What he said...+++ with the extreme top piston ring placement, it is ESSENTIAL that boost is not introduced until engine is at FULL operating temperature, or risk top cylinder wall lubrication "wash down" by fuel that is pressurised passing the rings.
Some of the most intelligent wrench heads I know will get into a cold car and nail it from the pull away. I cringe. Have some respect for the fact that metal parts, fluiids, and lubricants NEED to be at operating temperature prior to calling for their correct response to protect and lubricate.
Picture being kicked out of bed during a sound sleep, and screamed at to run your fastest 100 yards...how'd ya do ?

·
Registered
6,341 Posts
What he said...+++ with the extreme top piston ring placement, it is ESSENTIAL that boost is not introduced until engine is at FULL operating temperature, or risk top cylinder wall lubrication "wash down" by fuel that is pressurised passing the rings.
Some of the most intelligent wrench heads I know will get into a cold car and nail it from the pull away. I cringe. Have some respect for the fact that metal parts, fluiids, and lubricants NEED to be at operating temperature prior to calling for their correct response to protect and lubricate.
Picture being kicked out of bed during a sound sleep, and screamed at to run your fastest 100 yards...how'd ya do ?

I totally hear you! I always warm my engine up for a few minutes before I pull out and go anywhere. I guess
it's a hold over from the turbo days when it was a MUST and since I'm getting another turbo car here in a
few weeks, it's a good thing I still have this good habbit! I also let my vehicles idle for a bit after some hard
driving.

·
Registered
Dodge Challenger RT
1,066 Posts
Heat is your enemy. Guys with other cars and roots blowers have known this and way before they worried about forging, they fought the heat problem to protect their cars.
- cooler plugs
- cooler t-stats with proper fan settings
- headers to help move the heat away from the block better
- cams!!! yes, flowing more air helps run cooler
- intercoolers!! It's in the name! lol
- Proper tune with lower timing and the proper AFRs with zero knock. You do not tolerate any knock.. period.
- Scan and monitor! I've read where guys put in the tune that comes with the kit and just go. Please don't do that. Learn how to use tools like AFR gauges and anything that can monitor your IATs, AFRs, knock, oil pressure, etc.

As already mentioned, you wont' get away with living on the edge of a boosted high compression motor for long so you need to be smart and take precautions. Heat is out to steal your money so do something about it. It's best to even understand a little about closed loop vs. open loop as well as the conditions and behavior of your car as it changes between these. Quite frankly, unless your car is tuned properly for the blower, it can go under boost in part throttle and ram air into your cylinder while your computer is commanding a 14.5 AFR (yes, the Dodge default stoich is .0688 FAR).

·
Premium Member
1,582 Posts
I went through this and never again! Save your money and buy a Hellcat if you want a Supercharger. I will never and I mean ever supercharge a 392 again! Mine blew at 8 psi. I forged it and had Arrington rebuild it before I sold it because I never felt comfortable with it being supercharged. I now have a new 392 Scat Pack 8A and it feels faster than my 2011 392 Supercharged 6M did.

·
Registered
6,341 Posts
Well I can assure you... Your Scat pack isn't faster than a supercharged 392 and it's just nuts to even
think it is. I'm sorry that you didn't do the homework and thought you could run 8lbs on stock pistons.
Everyone that knows this engine knows you are one pedal press away from the tops of your pistons and
the pistons themselves having a bad break up! :)

6Lbs on stock is A-ok... My car is a rocket at 6lbs when I can hook it up and it's been an absolute
pleasure over the past 10K miles and I've beat the snot out of it as usual. And when the block comes
out and the new pistons go in and I upgrade the fuel system, THEN the boost will go up! Of course
once that is done then drivetrain parts will start to break, that's just how it goes!

·
Premium Member
1,582 Posts
Well I can assure you... Your Scat pack isn't faster than a supercharged 392 and it's just nuts to even
think it is. I'm sorry that you didn't do the homework and thought you could run 8lbs on stock pistons.
Everyone that knows this engine knows you are one pedal press away from the tops of your pistons and
the pistons themselves having a bad break up! :)

6Lbs on stock is A-ok... My car is a rocket at 6lbs when I can hook it up and it's been an absolute
pleasure over the past 10K miles and I've beat the snot out of it as usual. And when the block comes
out and the new pistons go in and I upgrade the fuel system, THEN the boost will go up! Of course
once that is done then drivetrain parts will start to break, that's just how it goes!
I did do my homework. Arrington is the one that said 8 pounds was safe. Arrington is the one who did all the performance work. Even when it was forged and the boost turned up to 10 pounds it felt nothing like a Hellcat. I've been in this game for a long time so please don't try to insult me with the "Do your Homework" talk. I know my Scat Pack is not as fast as my 392 Supercharged car was but I was saying it feels just as fast. I was also suggesting that anyone who is thinking about supercharging you should save your money and buy a Hellcat.

·
Registered
6,341 Posts
I did do my homework. Arrington is the one that said 8 pounds was safe. Arrington is the one who did all the performance work. Even when it was forged and the boost turned up to 10 pounds it felt nothing like a Hellcat. I've been in this game for a long time so please don't try to insult me with the "Do your Homework" talk. I know my Scat Pack is not as fast as my 392 Supercharged car was but I was saying it feels just as fast. I was also suggesting that anyone who is thinking about supercharging you should save your money and buy a Hellcat.
And all those Hellcat owners out there doing mods should have bought a Demon eh? The aftermarket exists
for a reason, because some of us are quite happy with putting the work in and enjoying the results. Buying
a Hellcat is a great option for those that want to go the factory route. For those of us that have the cars we
already love and don't feel like getting rid of them to get the factory setup, there exists an aftermarket.

·
Registered
Dodge Challenger RT
1,066 Posts
I did do my homework. Arrington is the one that said 8 pounds was safe. Arrington is the one who did all the performance work. Even when it was forged and the boost turned up to 10 pounds it felt nothing like a Hellcat. .
Were you running a Procharger previously?

·
Premium Member
1,582 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts

·
Registered
6,341 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Change the subject a bit.,
Does anybody know what has happened to AJ of Hemituner? soon be fitting my E-Forec Kit no 1535 to my 392 (Looking at what you guys recommend I have suddenly decided to save hard to get the pistons and rods done now although I don`t want to go above 6psi) any how going back to my concern, I bought the trinity and his custom email tune , good deal ! nice guy very helpful, issue........ can`t get hold of him !!
I know he is busy, he works alone, so I`m told, but its been nearly three weeks waiting for a reply, ok I live in the UK does this cause agro? I'm patient and worried.... no reply.... no tune as yet

·
Registered
2015 SRT
291 Posts
Just my 2 cents. For what it cost to do it right. wouldn't it make more sense to get a Hellcat with factory warranty? There are plenty of good deals right now.

21 - 40 of 72 Posts