Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dads chally may have a blown clutch, anyone here had that happen and if so, what were the symptoms?

·
Premium Member
4,384 Posts
wow down goes another one, sorry to hear this Dan I know how much he wants to play with his new toys.

5,134 Posts
Chatter when feathering, difficulty shifting even fully depressed.

·
Registered
528 Posts
1. Bad smell won't go away
2. Won't go into gear
3. Clutch pedal goes to the floor too easily
4. Clutch chatters when releasing pedal

To name a few...

5,134 Posts
Nice.

Put it in 4th or 5th somewhere, hop on the brakes and floor it. If the RPMs climb, she's definitely done.

·
Registered
435 Posts
We are having vibration issues below 2000 rpms right now and grinding going into reverse.
If the clutch disc's are warped,and it has high spots on the pressure plate,you will get grinding in gear.Is it a stock clutch?Any clutch material in the bell housing area?

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Doesn't sound like a clutch problem. When a clutch goes out, it gives the affect of the clutch being pushed in permanantly. When mine went out, I could sit at a stop in gear without touching the clutch and I could shift gears without touching clutch. Rpms would flare like a high stall converter but it never vibrated or made any noise. Sounds like oh have tranny problems.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We considered tranny too but it happens while sitting still not in gear. As you know Andy, we also had the powerbond dampner issue which I detailed over on LX.

To detail how this happened, my dad missed a shift at WOT and hit the rev limiter, pushed the clutch back in, got it into gear and lost traction and got real bad wheel hop. Right after this, the car had the vibration. So they looked at everything yesterday and saw the dampner issue, figured that was it. Well it was part of it for sure but vibration isnt completly gone but does go completely away above 2000 rpms.

We will know more tomorrow but seems like it might be a couple things getting fubared at once, and from what Ive been told, not likely the tranny since it happens sitting still not in gear.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If the clutch disc's are warped,and it has high spots on the pressure plate,you will get grinding in gear.Is it a stock clutch?Any clutch material in the bell housing area?
Stock clutch and they couldnt see any clutch material when they removed the dust cover. They are going to drop the tranny tomorrow to get a much better look.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Isn't the input shaft still rotating even when in neutral? Possibly a flywheel issue since it is.connected to crank as is the balancer. Balancer goes bad and causes flywheel to become unstable and warp. That's a longshot but a slight possibility I guess.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Stock clutch and they couldnt see any clutch material when they removed the dust cover. They are going to drop the tranny tomorrow to get a much better look.
Yeah,That's what I told my customer with the Challenger RT,Got to drop the trans and inspect the clutch.His complaint was hard to get in gear,some grinding.Trans was fine...clutch was smoked.Let us know what they find...could be a number of things.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
yup, will do guys. Seems logical that its either the flywheel or clutch on top of the dampner issue. It will all be revealed tomorrow :)

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Dropped the transmission this morning and yanked the clutch. The pressure plate has shifted 1 inch which no doubt has to be causing the vibration. Sounds like the missed shift and wheel hop caused the shift in the pressure plate and in turn spun the balancer. Pretty crazy but its a ton of tq being applied during a pretty nasty event (wheel hop).

Hop not kit is in the car now so hopefully this wont happen again.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts