Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So about a month and a half ago, i blew my engine and I didn't know what happened. (Original Post) All I could see were two holes on either side of the engine block. I've been very slowly working on removing the engine.

I have a 2009 SRT Challenger with about 130K Miles. Talking to a buddy of mine that sells used cars, he mentioned that this is the third SRT he hears that has critical engine damage at about 130K mile mark, not sure how credible that statement is.

Here are some of the pics of what I found in my oil pan and a few more pics of the damage. Enjoy!

Attachments

·
Registered
96 Posts
What mods have been done to the car? In stock form, catastrophic failure should not happen.. I had a 2006 6.1L boosted to 10psi and had zero issues for the 40k miles it was ran... I was not easy on that sucker either.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What mods have been done to the car? In stock form, catastrophic failure should not happen.. I had a 2006 6.1L boosted to 10psi and had zero issues for the 40k miles it was ran... I was not easy on that sucker either.
Only Mod I had to the car was Cut Outs on the exhaust. I agree on the catastrophic failure, not sure how or why it happened. It had a lot of miles, mostly highway though, I didn't drive it that hard. Last three years it became my Thursday car, I would drive it to work once a week, about 80 miles round trip.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Only Mod I had to the car was Cut Outs on the exhaust. I agree on the catastrophic failure, not sure how or why it happened. It had a lot of miles, mostly highway though, I didn't drive it that hard. Last three years it became my Thursday car, I would drive it to work once a week, about 80 miles round trip.

Oh man. I’m at 140k. Any signs leading up to it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh man. I’m at 140k. Any signs leading up to it?
When I turned on the car to go home for the day, I started hearing a faint clicking sound, I turned down the radio and I thought it was my cut outs loosing up again. I ignored the sound, got on the freeway drove 30 miles and I started hearing the clicking sound getting louder. I was going about 80 mph with the radio off and holding my breath to see if I could identify the noise when it blew. Large cloud of smoke as I looked on the rear view mirror and engine shut off. Luckily I had enough speed/momentum to coast safely off the freeway.

Long story Long.. Clicking sound was the sign I guess. I didn't notice anything prior to leading to that point. If there was a fracture on the Rod or something loose I don't think I would have caught it anyways until it failed. I don't know anyone who takes apart the motor to inspect it, I wasn't going to do so. I didn't notice signs leading up to that point, I still had plenty of power and it was running smooth that morning.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,846 Posts
When I turned on the car to go home for the day, I started hearing a faint clicking sound, I turned down the radio and I thought it was my cut outs loosing up again. I ignored the sound, got on the freeway drove 30 miles and I started hearing the clicking sound getting louder. I was going about 80mph with the radio off and holding my breath to see if I could identify the noise when it blew. Large cloud of smoke as I looked on the rear view mirror and engine shut off. Luckily I had enough speed/momentum to coast safely off the freeway.

Long story Long.. Clicking sound was the sign I guess. I didn't notice anything prior to leading to that point. If there was a fracture on the Rod or something loose I dont think I would have caught it anyways until it failed. I dont know anyone who takes apart the motor to inspect it, I wasn't going to do so. I didn't notice signs leading up to that point, I still had plenty of power and it was running smooth that morning.
Oh man, that reminds me of my 85 pontiac fiero (2.8L). Had 125K on the clock. Got on the highway and heard a faint clack that got louder and louder. Turned off the motor and coasted to the side of the road. Tried to restart the motor...click...would not budge. Found out my #3 rod bearing was completely eaten away and the rod gauld to the crank (good thing I turned the motor off when I did). This all happened out of the blue..had great oil pressure (was looking at the gauge when it started to clack...50psi). I later found out the 2.8L has a design flaw, oil pump goes to the oil sensor first then through the rest of the motor. Never looked at how oil flows thru these hemis.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh man, that reminds me of my 85 pontiac fiero (2.8L). Had 125K on the clock. Got on the highway and heard a faint clack that got louder and louder. Turned off the motor and coasted to the side of the road. Tried to restart the motor...click...would not budge. Found out my #3 rod bearing was completely eaten away and the rod gauld to the crank (good thing I turned the motor off when I did). This all happened out of the blue..had great oil pressure (was looking at the gauge when it started to clack...50psi). I later found out the 2.8L has a design flaw, oil pump goes to the oil sensor first then through the rest of the motor. Never looked at how oil flows thru these hemis.
Sounds like you did the right thing. This is exactly what happened except I wasn't smart enough to pull over.

On the other hand, Im excited for my upgrades.. I've been working with HHP on my new engine. I will be dropping a 426 stroker in here. Its getting pricy but it will be worth it.

·
Super Moderator
14,199 Posts
Sorry to hear about your blown engine.

Just curious- did you always use 0W-40 full synthetic oil? Also, did you change the oil and filter at scheduled intervals?

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,846 Posts
Sounds like you did the right thing. This is exactly what happened except I wasn't smart enough to pull over.

On the other hand, Im excited for my upgrades.. I've been working with HHP on my new engine. I will be dropping a 426 stroker in here. Its getting pricy but it will be worth it.
All it saved me was the cost of a core. If I did let it blow I probably would have thrown a 350 chevy in it but then I would never had put the turbo on the reman engine...which was one heck of a learning experience.

A 426 stroker you say...that thing is going to be a beast. :icon_cheers:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If all you are doing is driving it on the highway on Thursday's, why do you need the 426 stroker?
The real question is why not!

Its my baby, just like Im sure all of you feel about your cars. I got this guy with 3 miles from the dealer and have resisted doing anything to it because I had this thought of leaving it as original as possible. Now that the core blew.. Its time to go all out.. Even if its just a Thursday car. I know what I have in my garage and I will enjoy driving it that much more every Thursday.. Its a way of getting two Fridays out of every week.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just curious- did you always use 0W-40 full synthetic oil? Also, did you change the oil and filter at scheduled intervals?
For the entire life of that engine I used Moble 1 0W-40 Full synthetic. When it used to be a daily driver I would do oil changes at 3,000 miles which seemed a little bit of an overkill with full synthetic. Once I stopped driving it daily I would do oil changes at about 4-5K miles, usually 7-8 months.

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack Shaker
745 Posts
The real question is why not!

Even if its just a Thursday car. I know what I have in my garage and I will enjoy driving it that much more every Thursday.. Its a way of getting two Fridays out of every week.
Looks like you figured out how to make Thursday a fun day regardless of what day of the week it falls on. Enjoy the new engine.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
5-40 was the recommended oil for the 2009. I believe they went to 0-40 in 2010.
Not sure where you are getting your facts from, but that statement is incorrect. 0W-40 was the recommended oil for my 2009 6.1L SRT8. I dont know if there was more than one version of the 2009 SRT8, but my car was 0W-40 from the start.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,664 Posts
Clipboard01.jpg

A Guy

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thats what I thought it was too A Guy. Recommended 0W-40. It looks like 5W-40 is allowed but to me that reads as if its preferred to be 0W-40.

Anyways. What's done is done. I finally finished taking my entire engine apart. Im sending the parts that aren't damage to BES Racing where they are putting things together supplied from HHP. Attached are some additional pictures of the damage.

Attachments

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack Shaker
745 Posts
Dang! That must have sounded awful.

·
Premium Member
3,029 Posts
5-40 was the recommended oil for the 2009. I believe they went to 0-40 in 2010.
Not correct. I had a 2009 SRT and the oil was 0W-40 Mobil 1. Even said so on the filler cap.
The only reason 5W-40 was ever recommended was Chrysler switched to Pennzoil after the bankruptcy fall out with Mobil and Pennzoil did not have a 0W-40 at time.

Reactions: ferni4988

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Not correct. I had a 2009 SRT and the oil was 0W-40 Mobil 1. Even said so on the filler cap.
The only reason 5W-40 was ever recommended was Chrysler switched to Pennzoil after the bankruptcy fall out with Mobil and Pennzoil did not have a 0W-40 at time.
Thanks Waumo. Thats exactly my thoughts and same thing my oil cap says. I didn't know about the fall out, learn something every day.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts