Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My passenger door speaker is starting to rattle like mad. I've replaced door\rear speakers in Toyota's and Subaru's but the most I have done in the Challenger is splice in to add a 12 inch L7 + amp. What would be a good fit to replace the stock ones? I do not plan to add an amp at all, just want to replace the passenger rattling one and "possibly" driver side if it is worth it with one that will not require an additional amplifier. Thanks in advance! This is an 08 SRT w\ the kicker system and amplifer and what not.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Your cheapest/easiest option will be to see if anyone in the classified section here or on craiglist locally are willing to ship you their old one for free/cheap. If you can find someone local and pitch them $20 it will be an easy drop in solution. Or check junk yards nearby.

Otherwise you're looking for a 2 ohm 6x9 component driver, which are slightly on the rare side. You don't want a coaxial since that speaker only gets the bass. Something else you may want to consider is finding one that will fit onto the factory mounting baffle, which adds a whole other level of difficulty. Either that or you can rig up your own mounting baffle out of MDF wood if you have some basic power tools (a jigsaw and a drill/driver). Without some kind of baffle you will be limited on mounting depth before you risk hitting the window with the speaker's magnet.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Your cheapest/easiest option will be to see if anyone in the classified section here or on craiglist locally are willing to ship you their old one for free/cheap. If you can find someone local and pitch them $20 it will be an easy drop in solution. Or check junk yards nearby.

Otherwise you're looking for a 2 ohm 6x9 component driver, which are slightly on the rare side. You don't want a coaxial since that speaker only gets the bass. Something else you may want to consider is finding one that will fit onto the factory mounting baffle, which adds a whole other level of difficulty. Either that or you can rig up your own mounting baffle out of MDF wood if you have some basic power tools (a jigsaw and a drill/driver). Without some kind of baffle you will be limited on mounting depth before you risk hitting the window with the speaker's magnet.
After looking around these seem to be a direct fit replacement, that others are putting in with the stock HU what do you think? Kicker 40CS6934 6"x9" 3-way car speakers at Crutchfield.com

It's still cheaper than using my 200$ deductible to have them replaced at Dodge...and I really never want Dodge touching my car again unless it's a big failure.

There is also this on Lonestar for the Challenger. I am pretty sure he is using the stock headunit. http://www.lonestarmopars.com/news/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=177:dodge-challenger-6x9-front-speaker-comparison&catid=46:modern-mopartech

And with the Infinity the mounting holes are perfect.

·
Registered
389 Posts
How did your searches go?
My passenger door speaker sounds to be going out, this week!
The stock oem radio has a 2 ohm out, or is it 4?

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
6x9 speakers are pretty horrible anyway, replaced both mine with 6.5" ROUND Infinity woofers from a component set, just didn't use/need the crossovers and the tweeters will replace the dash ones when I get motivated to install them, but again would use round speakers for doors, if you get non componant type just cut loose the mids/tweeters! ;)

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
The shape of the cone really doesn't have that much to do with the sound quality. You can find many good sounding 6x9s out there now, and just clip the tweeter wires or remove them entirely.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
i have 6x9 hybrid audios and they sound fantastic...they are component style coaxials AKA you can remove the tweeter and install a phase plug and make a component set out of them.

My only gripe is that i can't get more bass out of them which is asking a lot from a 6x9 that has natural rolloff over 4000hz as designed.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Well, I put in the Kicker 693 and all is well again... I cant believe how cheesy the factory speakers are! (4 ohm) They weighed less than 3 pounds. I clipped off the oem speaker connector and then soldered them onto the new kicker speaker terminals, so I wouldn't have to butcher the oem harness, so much simpler!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts