Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Bolt on Supercharger for Challenger 5.7

10K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  stevewhite 
#1 ·
I currently have a 2021 Challenger RT Shakers with Brembos currently almost at 13k miles and wanna make quick power before I go all out.
Ive been looking and still confused whether or not I can just bolt on a supercharger and tune the car and make power and not have any worries

But do I need an exhaust, cam, or headers to match with the supercharger or can I just install it on a stock engine?

#2 ·
I installed mine on a stock engine. I got a kenne bell. It was not cheap. Best advice I can give you. GO TO AN EXPERIENCED HEMI SHOP AND HAVE THEM DYNO TUNE IT. Some people have had luck with the canned tunes but mine was horrible. Didn't feel like I made power (although I did), gas mileage was awful. It was unpredictable and hard to drive. And I had misfires and rough idling problems. Not bashing kenne bell whatsoever I just don't think a canned tune is good for a supercharger. When id go up steep hills id have to either go into heavy boost or keep cutting in and out. I finally couldn't do it after about 3 months and got In touch with Adam at ST motorsports and he tuned it from scratch. Absolutely no base file to go from. For the drive the mpg on the way there was 16 at best. On the way back it was 27 and still climbing from the low 16 average.. it made 495 to the wheel while heat soaked. He said id probably make 505 to 510 if we let it cool off. Drivabilty is awesome. And the power is there. Its definitely feels like I'm making the right power. Fastest car I raced was a newer BMW m4. I was pulling on him up to about 110 mph then he started pulling away. The only other things you should need are spark plugs and a fuel pump or boost a pump. Id go with a fuel pump. But I currently have the BAP since that what kenne bell sold. Any other questions just pm me im happy to help
Automotive parking light Vehicle Car Land vehicle Grille

#3 ·
take some time, really learn about engines & related systems, then power adding mods and how it all connects in order to build real power....but more importantly, how to make it all work and be reliable.
Anyone can buy 'n bolt stuff on and use hope as a tactic.
Real success involves plenty of research, growing knowledge & finally understanding, in order to make sound decisions and a fast car.
Having said that...youd be $$, time & effort ahead to simply sell the R/T (used market is white hot right now) and simply upgrade to a scatpack or hellcat, if funds allow.

Reactions: DirectConnection
#4 ·
Having driven almost every one of the old muscle cars, including the old push button Chrysler with huge engine, I don't know why all these young guys want to start from scratch like this poster, and reinvent the wheel. The main difference is the modern muscle cars are smooth, and get decent gas mileage.

Instead of going around in circles trying to make a 5.7L engine into something it's not, get a used Hellcat. They had one at my local dealer with around 4,000 miles that sold for about $55,000 I think. Dodge has done all this work for you. You don't have to go back to 1985.

#5 ·
Having driven almost every one of the old muscle cars, including the old push button Chrysler with huge engine, I don't know why all these young guys want to start from scratch like this poster, and reinvent the wheel. The main difference is the modern muscle cars are smooth, and get decent gas mileage.

Instead of going around in circles trying to make a 5.7L engine into something it's not, get a used Hellcat. They had one at my local dealer with around 4,000 miles that sold for about $55,000 I think. Dodge has done all this work for you. You don't have to go back to 1985.
Don’t get me wrong I would’ve gotten a hellcat and still can but building a car is so much more fun. Who would think a 5.7 would have a super charger mounted to the engine it’s just sick and plus cheaper to pay every month at least rn. But I’m trying to get a new hellcat tbh. Time can only tell what’ll happen I’m still 50/50 on everything

#6 ·
guessing you have a 392, since 5.7's dont come with Brembos, must be careful the 6.4 is a difficult beast, pistons made of glass

6 psi max and recommend great tuning with a fuel system

11-20 Challenger Charger 300 5.7L or 6.4L Hemi Magnuson Supercharger Complete Tuner Kit 01-23-64-005-BL | Steve White Parts out of stock

#7 ·
I
guessing you have a 392, since 5.7's dont come with Brembos, must be careful the 6.4 is a difficult beast, pistons made of glass

6 psi max and recommend great tuning with a fuel system

11-20 Challenger Charger 300 5.7L or 6.4L Hemi Magnuson Supercharger Complete Tuner Kit 01-23-64-005-BL | Steve White Parts out of stock

I have the 5.7 and it came with the Brembos I was surprised I got them with the car but it’s literally fully loaded tbh plus i heard the 5.7’s block is a builders engine and can handle boost pretty well so that’s why I’m debating on playing with the car a bit

#11 ·
"But if they did that, what would have happened to the Scat Pack, there would have been no logical reason to build it, the 5.7 is easily the little brother to the Hellcat, with the right stuff bolted to it. You must be forgetting the Scat Pack Stages 1, 2, and 3, that were released for the 5.7, but even those releases were still dialed back."

The 5.7 is easily the little brother to the Hellcat? What does that even mean? You don't know what you're talking about.

"You must be forgetting the Scat Pack Stages 1, 2, and 3, that were released for the 5.7, but even those releases were still dialed back."

The Stage packages are junk and most importantly, Dodge does not support them. I have a Stage 1 Charger and cannot get software updates for it. See any of my numerous posts on this subject.

"Those Scat Pack stages were released as do it yourself..." Wrong, the Stage packages must be installed by the dealer or the warranty is voided.

"It does not matter what you start with, it is what you end up with that matters." This is immature young man thinking. If the poster can't afford a Hellcat, then he should not buy an RT and try to turn it into something that it's not. The "logic" of a 19 year old here. Also, the 1970s are over. I know, I was there. Try to tune a supercharger on an RT and what you get is a big waste of money and time.

#12 ·
As a 69 year old I appreciate your claims of my immature young man thinking! Just because you, do not understand what I have posted, doesn't mean it is not true. Until you actually experience for yourself, the performance possibilities that can be done to a modern day 5.7L HEMI, yourself, you are simply unaware. Ryan

#14 ·
What I mean is the 5.7 even 100% factory stock, takes to supercharging a heck of a lot better than the 6.4 does, of course if you actually knew what you were talking about, you would already know that.
That is true. Plus a lot of people love their paid off 5.7’s but would like a little more power. Nothing wrong with that.

#15 ·
Take a 5.7L RT engine and slap a supercharger on it and all you get is problems. For one you're attached at the hip to your tuner. Every time he tunes one parameter, than another is thrown off, and you have to go back again and to it all over. It's a huge waste of time and indicates hillbilly thinking. "Thunder Road" is a black and white movie. That time is over, it's the 21st century now.

If the OP wants a supercharged car, buy a Hellcat. It's already done. No need to try to live the Dukes of Hazzard lifestlye with a beer can on the fender.

#22 ·
not that easy, as a rule way cheaper to buy a complete non oem kit, much cheaper