Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I hate the green color ring around the cup holder so I decided to take it apart along with some other stuff to tinker with and change all the LEDs to red. Since in trying to keep my car black and red I figure this would be a cool mod at 4am ImageUploadedByAG Free1388658692.161538.jpg ImageUploadedByAG Free1388658702.581877.jpg ImageUploadedByAG Free1388658711.932626.jpg

More pics of the red to come!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
860 Posts
Well I hate the green color ring around the cup holder so I decided to take it apart along with some other stuff to tinker with and change all the LEDs to red. Since in trying to keep my car black and red I figure this would be a cool mod at 4am View attachment 136217 View attachment 136225 View attachment 136233

More pics of the red to come!
I think that is going to look awesome. I'm planning on doing that myself as soon as my purple bulbs arrive. I also ordered a purple bulb for the gear selector light (I have an auto). If that all works out, I'll try to figure out the dash lights too. Anxious to see pics of your red lights.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
ya let us know.. i need to find the place to get the bulbs.. i had a TON of stuff in my fav's and my hard drive crashed and i lost it all.

any suggestions would be great

·
Registered
171 Posts
I've got a black and red theme as well. Document how you do it please so I don't screw it up if I try. Thanks!

·
Registered
515 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
I came across some old CT posts from a couple years ago and thought I would give it a try. I did cut and paste just the info I needed, so unfortunately, I don't have the information to give the original posters the credit. But, reading it helped me decide to try it:

1. Remove top of the console & associated electrical connectors, and remove the 4 screws holding the illuminated cup holder in place.

2. Go to your workbench with the cup holder and flip upside down, and pry back the retailing clips along the edge and by the connector enough to split the two halves apart.

3. Next, remove the LED's that are squeezed into the cup holder and pull them out to access the wiring.

4. You should now have two LED's hanging in the air with a total of 4 wires red and blue at one LED and blue & black at the other. LED's need to be wired in series, so keep that in mind for the next step.

5. Cut the red and blue wire from the first LED and solder the red wire to the longer lead coming off of the LED, this is the positive lead. Next, solder the shorter lead to the blue wire, make sure you either use heat shrink or tape to keep the bare leads from touching. Now, move onto the other LED, cut the blue and black wires and solder the longer LED lead onto the blue wire (positive) and finally, solder the shorter lead onto the black wire, again, making sure to tape or heat shrink the leads to keep from touching.

6. Now, bend the LED leads so that you can reinsert the LED end back into the cup holder so it sits that same way the original LED's did.

7. Finally, snap the two halves together making sure the clear plastic ring and the white plastic ring are both seated correctly and that all of the snap locks are securely snapped in. Reinstall the cupholder into the console and install the rest of the console not forgetting to reinsert your power plugs along the way.

That should do it. The nice thing about this mod is that the voltage has already been dropped through the circuitry, so all you need are the LED's (under $2.00 plus shipping), not the LED's with transistors for use in 12 volt systems. You also have the ability to have any color you like, but be careful of the luminosity, you want a minimum of 3000 MCD's, that is the unit of measure for LED's, anything lower and it's a little hard to see the color. Here is where I picked mine up, and have no affiliation with them, just found them by doing a little internet searching. I'll post some pics of the finished product, but unfortunately, I did not take any pics when it was apart. Good luck, have fun - Shhnappa

When you are doing the cupholder and the console is apart you will see the wire for the shifter bulb sticking out a little on the left hand side. Give it a 1/4 turn to pull it out, and replace the bulb. Nice and simple.

The posters also added the site where they found their bulbs. For the cupholder:
LED-5MM-NR - $0.85 : D.A.V. Electronics, The Future of Lighting

For the shifter:
LED-74 - $5.99 : D.A.V. Electronics, The Future of Lighting

I do remember them saying if you are looking to match the plum crazy purple color, to use the UV/purple ones.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Can't wait to see the rest

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Awesome thanks. Looks good!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Cool.... May try this but with orange instead once I install my illuminated door sills and orange lighted foorwell.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Did the lights above the door pull use the same size bulb?

sent from mobile device

1 - 20 of 31 Posts