Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at a $1500 price tag at best for a "cat back"......seems........uh, what is the right word?

"Excessive?"

"Stupid?"

or maybe some combination such as, "you've gotta be kidding!" ....or.... "that doesn't seem worth it!"

I don't consider myself especially frugal.....but the price tag attatch to Borla's ATAK system for the 392.....seems like a step too far for what a buyer gets.

Does this system actually sell?

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
I have the ATAK (#140678) which is the one with the simulators. I got a pretty good deal at a show for $1,250 installed. At the time I didn't know there were two different versions. But when I saw there was another version I was a little surprised at how much more it cost just to have the flaps. But I agree, the price is definitely steep. On my last car, I had a turbo back 3" exhaust and that whole set up was like less than $1,700.

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
Well our factory exhausts really took a step up in 2015, and it's even better for the 2016 + 5.7s with the new-tech polyphonic tube inserts...but before those times, there actually was a lot to be gained in the sound department from the better catbacks. Also, these high-end after market systems are usually T-304 stainless which is aviation grade, typical exhaust parts are standard T-409 which still does rust and corrode.

I paid $1300 for the Corsa exhaust I put on my old 300 SRT8. In hindsight, no, it probably wasn't worth it. On my Scat Pack I may delete the mufflers if I get bored, but otherwise I've never been happier with a stock exhaust on a car!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Pricey sure, but as long as there is people willing to pay for it, why do we have to care ? it's their money, good thing we have many options and prices to choose from.
I wouldn't pay $1500 for a CB, but i'll prob pay that as part of of the price for a cam and install , we have different things we like, and different priorities to go with.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pricey sure, but as long as there is people willing to pay for it, why do we have to care ? it's their money, good thing we have many options and prices to choose from.
I wouldn't pay $1500 for a CB, but i'll prob pay that as part of of the price for a cam and install , we have different things we like, and different priorities to go with.
I tend to care because it's a change I'd consider if only the price tag were more reasonable. With all things, there is a tipping point between willing to "pay up" and knowing something simply doesn't offer enough for the cash spent. This is a great example of that, IMO.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My shop is installing at this minute a Mopar/Borla catback i picked up with free shipping on eBay for $399. I'm told it's the Borla Touring with Mopar tips and "M"s on the mufflers. Exactly what I was wanting, I was going to have just mufflers cut it for a similar price, but the whole C/B for $399 is great.

·
Premium Member
677 Posts
My shop is installing at this minute a Mopar/Borla catback i picked up with free shipping on eBay for $399. I'm told it's the Borla Touring with Mopar tips and "M"s on the mufflers. Exactly what I was wanting, I was going to have just mufflers cut it for a similar price, but the whole C/B for $399 is great.

Nice score!! Hope you like the new setup.

·
Registered
681 Posts
The stock exhaust sounds so good I wouldn't dream of spending that kind of money on a catback.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The stock exhaust sounds so good I wouldn't dream of spending that kind of money on a catback.
The sound is "OK" but whisper quiet. Borla makes good systems with ZERO drone. There is something to like here.......but that price is over-the-top stupid in my view.

I'll pay up for things I like but I don't want to feel RIPPED OFF after buying. Sadly at $1,500 for what amounts to mufflers and pipe from the back side of the cats.......this is a price I simply cannot justify as even remotely close to REASONABLE.

It all leads me to ask if Borla sells very many of the systems at all for the '15 and up 392. It's hard to imagine that they do.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The stock exhaust is far from whisper quiet. Put it in sport mode and stomp the gas. It gets loud as shit.
Then it's a matter of opinion for sure. I find it VERY QUIET for a car that has near 500HP and paint scheme that suggests you should be heard as well as seen.

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
Are you losing some hearing??? One thing to note is our cars shoot the sound out of the back, you don't ride with the noise in the cabin which I really like. Floor it in the next tunnel you drive through and hear the thunder!

Our factory exhausts are delightfully drone free, even for the automatics which emit bad sounds if you let it go into MDS mode...but if you want a lot more sound cheap and you want it to be clean, delete the mid mufflers and leave the rear resonaters on.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I spent 1,000 for my Borla system in 2013. The only reason I spent that much was for a T304 stainless system that would look like new for the life of the car with absolute minimal effort. My car is NOT a daily driver. If my car was driven daily I would have removed the factory resonators and installed a pair of Vibrant performance resonators ( to kill the drone) and quad tips (for looks) and drove the car every day without care. A 409 stainless exhaust will surface rust but last a very long time (especially if you live in the south). An aircraft quality 304 system will easily last a lifetime and look like new with minimal effort. Expensive, yes but worth the price for a system that looks like new for the life of the car. Just like the sound of exhaust, the price is subjective to the owner's personal choice.

·
Registered
7 Posts
This seems to be the thread I was looking for, I did a ton of research online before buying the Borla mufflers that I did end up installing, I listened to easily over 200 challengers running. When I was looking at my car before I bought it I looked under it to see that it has Generic Flowmaster original 40s under it (you can see the baffle pattern welds) but no nameplate from flowmaster, it sounded good and I was thinking holy crap this is amazing, every car ive bought worthy of an exhaust system.. has needed me to put down the money to get the right exhaust on it and yet this one is already packing good sound. Went on a test drive and here I am. I got on the freeway to go home and I dont know how I didnt get a pile of tickets. then I went to work the following Monday and holy cow does that thing drone, every time I even came close to 1800 rpms i was shifting, I dont even like driving through 2k to 2300. good on either side mind you, but I quickly knew I needed a remedy. So after my research on mufflers via youtube, this forums choices and every angle I could think of to look at, I was after the LM2 muffler low tone based on youtube but knew it would be way too effing loud, I decided on Borla S-type and as others have pointed out, No one said it was too loud, sound on youtube as was magnaflow but popping is something I do NOT want and no video i found of magnaflow made it through without the popping. So according to what i could find the Pro XS is supposedly the universal version of the S-type. so I ordered two of them and replaced them last night. Volume is exactly the same as the Flowmaster Original 40, but its also not that much deeper. I didnt want the volume to change on the outside, so thats a win. I was however looking for The Lowest tone possible I could get. Will these mufflers get deeper? my youtube comparisons of fm40s and borla pro XS and touring both sounded much more pronounced than these. your input is greatly appreciated. It has no resonators, just cats and these mufflers. My next step is Shorty headers, so BBK tuned seem to be okay? input on these as well is also appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,771 Posts
Generally speaking you get a lower tone after the mufflers "break in". I can't say for certain on your particular setup. A Guy

·
Registered
72 Posts
So I gotta chime in here...I just installed the BORLA Atak cat back system with the simulators. I DON'T want my car to be quiet EVER.

I agree with the OP that these cars WANT to be heard...but I was a teenager in the '70's so to me muscle cars should be loud. I ride Harleys (you may have guessed that) and they are LOUD. I want my car loud as well.

I listened to tons of videos on all the exhaust systems I could find, and NONE sounded better than the Atak. I thought about it for awhile, went back and forth a bit, decided a couple of times to just skip it, decided a couple of times to go ahead with it...several months later, a Mustang pulled up next to me at a red light, I could hear his car and not mine, luckily the wife was with me and I mentioned something about it to her. She said "well how come you never got the BORLA you were looking at"? I said, "it's just so dam expensive". She said "yea, but if you are even a little unhappy with your car isn't it worth it"? SOLD!! (My wife is pretty wise sometimes...but if you tell her I said that I will deny deny deny)

I put the system on one afternoon and I gotta tell you, if they would let you put it on before you bought it, you wouldn't complain about the price at all. It was EXTREMELY well engineered, EVERYTHING fit perfectly, and it sounds incredible!! Instructions were very clear and well laid out (not that it was that hard to do, but good instructions to guide you are never a bad thing)

In the end, I have 0 regrets about the purchase. I HIGHLY recommend the system to anyone who wants their car to sound as good as anything else out there!

Oh, and the wife loves it too, she says it now sounds like it looks!! Scrimp somewhere else, get the BORLA!!!:bandit:

EDIT: Forgot to mention...NO DRONE at any speed, at least all the way up to 120 thus far...

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So I gotta chime in here...I just installed the BORLA Atak cat back system with the simulators. I DON'T want my car to be quiet EVER.

I agree with the OP that these cars WANT to be heard...but I was a teenager in the '70's so to me muscle cars should be loud. I ride Harleys (you may have guessed that) and they are LOUD. I want my car loud as well.

I listened to tons of videos on all the exhaust systems I could find, and NONE sounded better than the Atak. I thought about it for awhile, went back and forth a bit, decided a couple of times to just skip it, decided a couple of times to go ahead with it...several months later, a Mustang pulled up next to me at a red light, I could hear his car and not mine, luckily the wife was with me and I mentioned something about it to her. She said "well how come you never got the BORLA you were looking at"? I said, "it's just so dam expensive". She said "yea, but if you are even a little unhappy with your car isn't it worth it"? SOLD!! (My wife is pretty wise sometimes...but if you tell her I said that I will deny deny deny)

I put the system on one afternoon and I gotta tell you, if they would let you put it on before you bought it, you wouldn't complain about the price at all. It was EXTREMELY well engineered, EVERYTHING fit perfectly, and it sounds incredible!! Instructions were very clear and well laid out (not that it was that hard to do, but good instructions to guide you are never a bad thing)

In the end, I have 0 regrets about the purchase. I HIGHLY recommend the system to anyone who wants their car to sound as good as anything else out there!

Oh, and the wife loves it too, she says it now sounds like it looks!! Scrimp somewhere else, get the BORLA!!!:bandit:

EDIT: Forgot to mention...NO DRONE at any speed, at least all the way up to 120 thus far...
Yeah........I'm starting to waver and I may just do it but it still pisses me off. There is no doubt the Atak is the best of all that I've heard. I'm probably gonna do it. Still feel ripped off on this but hey, like you said, what other choice is there?

None that sound anywhere close to as good to my ear. This year has been all about an older car I own and have started taking to the drag strip again.......but with it now mostly squared away and not taking up all my free time for this stuff......I'm thinking about this again for the Challenger.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Yeah........I'm starting to waver and I may just do it but it still pisses me off. There is no doubt the Atak is the best of all that I've heard. I'm probably gonna do it. Still feel ripped off on this but hey, like you said, what other choice is there?

None that sound anywhere close to as good to my ear. This year has been all about an older car I own and have started taking to the drag strip again.......but with it now mostly squared away and not taking up all my free time for this stuff......I'm thinking about this again for the Challenger.
My philosophy: "It's only money...I'll make more" :grin2:

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
You simply cannot go wrong with Borla. I put the S-type cat-back system on my R/T. Like others mentioned above, the aircraft grade construction, plus Borla's million mile warranty can't be beat. The system bolted right up the the car, the muffler shop owner told me it wast the best fitting Cat-back system he has ever seen, and he has been in business over 20 years. The car is loud with a deep muscle car sound, and when you stomp on it, it just screams. It's not quite as loud as the ATAK system but it's not far behind. I understand the OP *****in about the price, but hey, the old saying goes, you get what you pay for. Borla along with Corsa and a few others are pricey, but with what Borla offers in their systems it is well worth the purchase price.

I tell ya, I was a Flowmaster guy for years, still have an original 40 on my old Durango. But something told me when I bought my R/T I needed to do something different. And I am glad I did! My system does drone in the car like crazy, but I actually like it. It's just the S-type mufflers and pipes with no resonators. Loud and proud. Just the way I like it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts