Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'v just installed my brand new borla s-type cat-back system. I have a problem drone in the cabin and so much noise. is there any solution to decrease the drone ?????

Does it require to let the system get some miles on it to make it smooth ????

PLZ help

·
Premium Member
1,318 Posts
The Borla system uses a muffler only, without a resonator at the rear of the car. This is why they tend to drone in the 2000 to 2300 RPM range. The solution is to shift to a higher gear, letting the engine cruise around 1500-1700 RPM. This is easy to do with a 6-speed manual transmission, but can be a problem with the 5-speed automatic.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Borla system uses a muffler only, without a resonator at the rear of the car. This is why they tend to drone in the 2000 to 2300 RPM range. The solution is to shift to a higher gear, letting the engine cruise around 1500-1700 RPM. This is easy to do with a 6-speed manual transmission, but can be a problem with the 5-speed automatic.

so there is no solution for 5 speed auto ?

·
Registered
929 Posts
I have the ATAK on an Automatic and I think it's amazing. Been there maybe 8K miles, it mellows after a month or so. It's a lot louder than your S-Type.
You can call Borla and ask them to send you some venturi to weld into the pipes, this gives you much less drone but it also reduces the power increase created by the better-flowing exhaust.

·
Premium Member
707 Posts
I have the Borla ATAK system. Drones like crazy. Time does not lessen the drone. Everyone who gets in my car thinks something is broken, then I tell them I paid extra to make the car sound this bad!

I've been e-mailing a Borla support person for a few months trying to figure out a way to eliminate the drone. They sent me a Venturi insert to install, but it made no difference. Now I am waiting to hear back from them again to see what else they suggest.

I've mentioned to them that several of their competitors products seem to have some sort of mini resonator in their system to defeat the drone.

·
Premium Member
707 Posts
I have the ATAK on an Automatic and I think it's amazing. Been there maybe 8K miles, it mellows after a month or so. It's a lot louder than your S-Type.
You can call Borla and ask them to send you some venturi to weld into the pipes, this gives you much less drone but it also reduces the power increase created by the better-flowing exhaust.
I have 4,000 miles on my ATAK on a 2013 A5. Drone has not mellowed at all.
Venturi insert did nothing to reduce the drone on my system.

Don't know why some folks seem to not have a problem with drone, and others are having a real bad time with it.

·
Premium Member
707 Posts
If the Venturi insert doesn't work, some people have had success lining the trunk with something to deaden the sound. Some lining materials are more expensive than others, but check out this thread:

http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f108/reducing-effects-drone-88244/
To be honest, it is not simply a sound issue. The car vibrates when the engine is in the dreaded rev range.
You feel the drone/resonance as well as hear it.

Lining the trunk with the sound deadening stuff isn't going to eliminate that problem. And for me, I've had a trunkful of stuff and it doesn't make much improvement.

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
Borla's are notorious for drone. I had the very mild touring version of the Borla exhaust on this car and it still droned really bad!

Thank goodness for Zoomers. Solo and Magnaflow also are great exhausts that don't drone. Corsa doesn't drone but its a bit too tame of an exhaust compared to the others.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Don't know why some folks seem to not have a problem with drone, and others are having a real bad time with it.
i thought i'm the only one who has a drone

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
To be honest, it is not simply a sound issue. The car vibrates when the engine is in the dreaded rev range.
You feel the drone/resonance as well as hear it.

Lining the trunk with the sound deadening stuff isn't going to eliminate that problem. And for me, I've had a trunkful of stuff and it doesn't make much improvement.
The car vibrates b/c the frequency of the drone...and the trunk is one big resonance chamber. So while the deadening material won't get rid of drone, it may make it a little more tolerable. Some people have even stuffed bean bags back there that was helpful. But if you've tried that with no success I think your only option is to use autostick to stay out of the drone zone or change systems.

Just brainstorming...I had a friend who welded in someHelmholtz resonators after the mufflers. Looked funny, but he said it helped. I'll drop him a note to see how the exhaust shop did it.

·
Registered
384 Posts

I originally had the "s" system installed on my 6 speed. I had a horrible drone / vibration in the dash and headliner under normal acceleration from 1800-2300 rpm. It sounded great at full throttle and did not drone while cruising at highway speeds of 70-90 mph. The first attempt was the venturi install without any luck. They sent me the "touring" mufflers and the car is the perfect blend of sound without drone. I also believe resonators installed aft of the mufflers would eliminate or dramatically reduce the drone without effecting the overall sound. In the Borla video the "S" system sounds only slightly louder than the "touring" system. However, the camera on the car is located on the drivers door for touring, on the hood for the S system and mounted ahead of the car facing the grill for the ATAK system. If the camera were installed in the same position on the car for all three exhaust systems this would have made a much better comparison.

The in car audio is not accurate at all in my opinion. The S system is much louder than the touring. The Borla video for the Silverado is much more acccurate for in car sound. I wish Borla would have started with the stock exhaust and spent the same amount of time and effort as they did for the Silverado video. However, they did stand behind their product and I am very happy with the touring system. I realize sound is objective so I hope everyone finds the right sound for his / her Challenger.

Reactions: Gilly and Czechman

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Some are sensitive to drone; some aren't. Hate to say it, but if you're sensitive to it and the exhaust system produces it, it's likely that you'll never be happy unless/until you change the system itself by either adding some sort of resonator----or changing out to a whole new setup.

I might be in the minority on this board in terms of favored exhaust mfr, but I've always loved Magnaflow for the nice, deep, throaty tone with minimal or non-existent drone.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Some are sensitive to drone; some aren't. Hate to say it, but if you're sensitive to it and the exhaust system produces it, it's likely that you'll never be happy unless/until you change the system itself by either adding some sort of resonator----or changing out to a whole new setup.

I might be in the minority on this board in terms of favored exhaust mfr, but I've always loved Magnaflow for the nice, deep, throaty tone with minimal or non-existent drone.
I wanted a 304 stainless system for my new Challenger so I decided on the Borla. If not for that fact
I would have a local muffler shop remove the factory mufflers / resonators and install the Goerlich Xlerator ( mfg by AP Exhaust) stainless mufflers. I have these mufflers installed on my 2003 Silverado and 1970 Olds 442. They sound awesome and have ZERO drone. They flow 98 percent of straight pipe and you can purchase from performance-curve dot com for half the price of most major brands. I have attached a couple of videos.

Outside Sound
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMLrUZikZ8g

Inside sound ( same truck)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvnDXHfa0Sg

Reactions: DJ Hemi

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
To MYFIRSTMOPAR, thanks for posting the videos.
I don't detect any drone.

·
Registered
384 Posts
To MYFIRSTMOPAR, thanks for posting the videos.
I don't detect any drone.

DJ,

My apologies. I meant to reply to the thread and not reply with quote.

Reactions: DJ Hemi
1 - 20 of 49 Posts