Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Challenger Scatpack Widebody Shaker
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reaching out to anyone with a Scatpack or SRT 392 that is running a Borla S-Type Catback. I have a 2021 Widebody Scatpack with a few hundred miles on it but the stock exhaust is just not doing it for me. I want to add a Borla Catback. I'm well versed on how they work but am looking to see if anybody is running the Borla S Type Catback with or without valves and if are you happy with the sound? I thought about the ATAK but honestly it sounds too raspy to me.

I think that I'm going to get the S Type with valves however I've been considering getting the simulators since I'm not getting the ATAK.

If anyone has the S Type without valves I'd love to know what it's like to live with.
Or if you have the S-Type with valves what is that like?

Theres almost no videos on YouTube of the S-Type which is why I'm reaching out.

Any insight would be amazing!

·
Registered
388 Posts
im interested too, my new 2021 could use juts a little more rumble. im thinking of swapping the mids out with either the dynamax mini bullet's or the vibrants. but always interested in options.

i will say the mfer 1 valve disable did help some just not quite enough.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I was seriously considering the borla s-type cat back. But I decided to try the mid muffler delete and the dynamax race bullets, and the MFER-1 active exhaust valve mod. Quite a bit less expensive, than the borla cat back. I couldn't not be happier with the sound, not raspy at all. I will say the cold starts will wake the neighborhood [I dont really care since I dont like most of my neighbors]. The sound clips you hear online are not exactly how the car really sounds. Pic is before the MFER-1 install. If you want to save some money on the MFER, buy a blemished set.
Motor vehicle White Automotive tire Light Automotive lighting

·
Registered
353 Posts
Another cheap exhaust sound upgrade is adding a CAI system. The JLT Series II system is damn good. You get a really nice sound upgrade and your intake temps do drop and recover better than stock.

I noticed with the stock system I would hover around 9-15 degrees over ambient and heat soak very fast at a red light. With the JLT, I'm averaging 2-10 degrees over ambient and it still heat soaks but it heat soaks less and recovers faster.
Not sure if it adds any power but it doesn't feel any slower or any loss of power. Throttle response is snappier and it sound WAY BETTER!!. The exhaust note through the factory exhaust in Sport or Track sound s wonderful.

When I got the JLT, my Neighbor thought I got a new exhaust system. He asked me what system I went with as it sounds awesome. He is a huge car nut and has several cars - Mustang LX Fox Body in perfect condition , Mustang GT350 which is stupid killer, 90's Acura NSX that sits in her garage unless he decided to joy drive it and his daily is a Jeep SRT. He uses Corsa systems on all his cars and they all sound unbelievable . I can't believe he put one on the GT350 as that car sounded killer when he got it new.

I'm all for a cat back system BUT I would not just buy it for the sound. I think it's a lot of money JUST to get better sound. IF a Cat back system would add HP , then I'm more inclined to buy it. I think the factory exhaust note is awesome especially since I put the JLT on mine. Granted I have a Charger Scat Pack but it sound almost exactly the same as a Challenger. You can argue the Charger sounds louder stock to stock.

Vehicle Hood Car Motor vehicle Automotive design

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I appreciate the input but I’m set on buying a Borla Catback. I don’t want to hack up the stock system. I don’t mind spending the money, I’m just hoping to find a forum member that’s running the S Type. I’m thinking about going S Type or ATAK with valves. Just not sure if I should skip the valves and get the S Type without them.

I want whatever I put on to be reversible. And I thought about the MFER1 but I don’t want to go that route.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Another cheap exhaust sound upgrade is adding a CAI system. The JLT Series II system is damn good. You get a really nice sound upgrade and your intake temps do drop and recover better than stock.

I noticed with the stock system I would hover around 9-15 degrees over ambient and heat soak very fast at a red light. With the JLT, I'm averaging 2-10 degrees over ambient and it still heat soaks but it heat soaks less and recovers faster.
Not sure if it adds any power but it doesn't feel any slower or any loss of power. Throttle response is snappier and it sound WAY BETTER!!. The exhaust note through the factory exhaust in Sport or Track sound s wonderful.

When I got the JLT, my Neighbor thought I got a new exhaust system. He asked me what system I went with as it sounds awesome. He is a huge car nut and has several cars - Mustang LX Fox Body in perfect condition , Mustang GT350 which is stupid killer, 90's Acura NSX that sits in her garage unless he decided to joy drive it and his daily is a Jeep SRT. He uses Corsa systems on all his cars and they all sound unbelievable . I can't believe he put one on the GT350 as that car sounded killer when he got it new.

I'm all for a cat back system BUT I would not just buy it for the sound. I think it's a lot of money JUST to get better sound. IF a Cat back system would add HP , then I'm more inclined to buy it. I think the factory exhaust note is awesome especially since I put the JLT on mine. Granted I have a Charger Scat Pack but it sound almost exactly the same as a Challenger. You can argue the Charger sounds louder stock to stock. View attachment 1023903
looking at his avatar, he has the shaker so it has the factory cai already installed, i also did the hellcat mod to mine but it gets tons od air as it is

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
3,596 Posts
Give Steve at Solo a call too. Their exhaust sounds Great and is cheaper than a Borla. It's a also a mandrel bent stainless steel system that has built in adjustable Heimholz chambers (J-Pipes) that prevent it from droning.

We had it on Ruby (our old 2015 SRT 392) and it was Nasty sounding. It was louder than stock at startup and was a reasonable, easy to hold a conversation volume at cruise speeds/rpm and then the gates of Hell opened up at WOT (Wide Open Throttle). Ours had no mufflers or resonators but you can get them with a muffler too if that's what you wanted.

Just trying to give you a more reasonably priced option that might even sound better than the Borla.

By the way, I have NO affiliation with Solo other than being a Happy Customer!

Here's a little video of startup and how the Solo sounded (Sorry for the blurry video. I just got my cellphone and didn't know how to use it too well yet). The video does it NO justice either because it's Considerably louder in person. The bass is pretty spot on though:

Ruby at startup with the Solo exhaust.................

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hey JBanks, I love the Borla system; I’m running a Borla Atak with active valves on my 2021 Scatpack. It gives it slightly more than just a deep rumble, although you may be “that guy” in the neighborhood after a cold start at 6am if it’s your daily. I’m not gonna lie, when you put the hammer down and get the rpm’s up, it sounds like NASCAR but honestly, it’s livable as a daily... to me anyway. Borla‘s youtube channel has a vid with sound on their touring, sport, and Atak exhausts. Hope that helps...

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thought about the ATAK with valves but I’m probably guna go with S Type. I appreciate that response Axman since the first exhaust I looked up when researching was the ATAK. But I just don’t want it to be basically straight piped when the exhaust pressure forces the air straight through under load. WOT is insane with ATAK. I treasure the low grumble of the S Type, just really debating if I go with valves or not? I have a feeling I’m going to always want it open anyway so I’m like why pay more for valves. However I don’t want to be that “guy” in my neighborhood, but perhaps the S Type isn’t so NASCAR without valves.

Reactions: Axman72

·
Premium Member
2014 Challenger SRT 8
1,324 Posts
That is crazy, I LOVE my 2021 SPWB stock exhaust !!! SO loud stock been scolded by the POPO !!!

No not kidding, it's the best stock exhaust I ever heard......

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That is crazy, I LOVE my 2021 SPWB stock exhaust !!! SO loud stock been scolded by the POPO !!!

No not kidding, it's the best stock exhaust I ever heard......
To each their own, the stock setup does sounds good no doubt but I want more without straight piping. I guess I’m spoiled due to my past cars. This is one of my favorite cars I’ve ever had the only thing missing is a nice catback to make it even more aggressive. I’m getting ppf on the car currently and once it’s back I’d like to add an exhaust.

·
Premium Member
2014 Challenger SRT 8
1,324 Posts
Um ok, just saying. U like LOUD sound and I like PROPER tone.................

On THIRD system on the SRT 8 and Charger STILL sound better.

The guy with 40 YEARS of exhaust research.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts