Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I thought I’d share how Borla S-Type (2.25” tubing) sounds on a 3.6L after one year.

The vehicle also has an Airaid intake kit, model 352-317

Video is of cold start only, on a warm summer afternoon.

Tips are made by Wesdon Exhaust. 3”x7”x8.5” with 2.25” ID.

Hope this helps those trying to make a decision on their exhaust mod for a 3.6L

Recorded using iPhoneX. Headphones for best experience.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Sounds excellent. Normally I don’t like aftermarket exhausts on non V8’s but this one is great.

·
Registered
2019 AWD SXT +
471 Posts
How’s the cabin noise? Borla claims no drone at any speed or rpm range. Has that been your experience?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How’s the cabin noise? Borla claims no drone at any speed or rpm range. Has that been your experience?
With the s-type there's no drone; just the expected slight increase in interior decibels matching engine revs (anywhere in the rpm range). If the exhaust tips are extended past the bumper (rather than dumping under the bumper), the interior noise is reduced even more.

I tend to open my windows if I really want to enjoy that exhaust tone during spirited driving, and close the windows if i want to enjoy a quiet ride or take a call.

·
Registered
2019 AWD SXT +
471 Posts
Thanks. Happen to have a link to the Wesdon tips you got?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. Happen to have a link to where you got the tips in that size?
They're from Wesdon exhaust.

They also have them listed on Amazon.

They have tons of great looking exhaust tips. I've seen others go with the dual square design that Wesdon also makes. More retro look.

I opted for these ones and decided to have them sit about an inch past bumper cutout; better look in my preference.

·
Registered
2019 AWD SXT +
471 Posts
Thank you. Yeah, yours caught my eye. They look very good.

Reactions: harry

·
Premium Member
The Pork Wagon (‘14 Cop Charger)
7,345 Posts
Just to clarify, the exhaust upgrade you have consists of two Borla mufflers and 2 Borla resonators, or no resos at all now?

And the exhaust is still a true dual setup like it was when stock, correct?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just to clarify, the exhaust upgrade you have consists of two Borla mufflers and 2 Borla resonators, or no resos at all now?

And the exhaust is still a true dual setup like it was when stock, correct?
Correct. There are four small oval barrels in total, not sure how borla distributes them as far as resonators vs. mufflers; all four are straight through design. It is a true dual design catback starting with an x-pipe, 2.25" piping all the way to the tips.

·
Registered
2019 AWD SXT +
471 Posts
I may be getting a preowned S Type so do you happen to know if there’s a right and left side?

I’ve seen the new systems with little L and R stickers so thinking there is and don’t want to put it on incorrectly.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good find! Even used, should be in good condition I'd think since they use quality material.

The rear assembly should be easy to identify which side is which, since the tips are positioned in an offset and would only fit the correct side.

Same for the mid assembly, based on hanger positioning, the mufflers will only sit correct in a certain way without interfering with anything else under the vehicle.

The x-pipe has one pipe with a bend or two, while the other is straightened out. The side with the bends goes to the driver side.

Best of luck with the install!

·
Registered
2019 AWD SXT +
471 Posts
Thanks Harry. That’s helpful. Getting a great deal on it so had to try it.

·
Registered
2019 AWD SXT +
471 Posts
Just found a pic online from someone that laid one out for the Atak but should be same layout.
2FC2B2B8-2507-4586-9B70-5659185903C7.jpeg

·
Registered
2019 AWD SXT +
471 Posts
Harry, with those tips did you have to cut any tubing off or just welded on as is?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So without any cutting, the polished tips slipped right over the borla tips, and when fully seated, they extend from the bumper valance trim (the cutouts) by an inch or so.

The polished tip inlet neck is about the same length as the tip welded on the rear borla mufflers.

For a more flush look, some cutting will be necessary.

The extended look was my preference so i didn't do any cutting, and got the tips tack welded in few spots so they stay put and don't shift.

·
Registered
2019 AWD SXT +
471 Posts
Oh so those Wesdon tips just slip over the end of the Borla tips. Good to know.

if you get a chance please post a pic straight on from the rear. Would like to see them from that angle.

Thanks.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Oh so those Wesdon tips just slip over the end of the Borla tips. Good to know.

if you get a chance please post a pic straight on from the rear. Would like to see them from that angle.

Thanks.
Sure; I'll get a picture once i have capacity to do so.

·
Registered
2019 AWD SXT +
471 Posts
So Got the exhaust coming off the leased Challenger. Was in great shape. Already broken in.

Sounds just like you described. Quiet when you want it loud when stepping on it.

Would like it just a tad quieter inside in the lower rpms so ordered the tips you have since they were on sale on the Wesdon site.

Still interested in the rear pics whenever you can Thanks for all the feedback. It’s been most helpful.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Congrats on getting it installed! Hope you're enjoying the tone with the windows down.

Did I mention I also have an open intake from Airaid? The one that comes with a complete lower box. It makes a bit more difference with the tone, deepens it a bit, noticable during idle, and gets more throaty in high rpms. Though it does increase interior decibels a tad bit as well.

I managed to snap a photo today. Here you go:

Just a reminder that they stick out about an inch in my configuration. This is something of preference and taste. Any good muffler shop can trim the ends and make it fit any way you want.

Best,

·
Registered
2019 AWD SXT +
471 Posts
Thanks for the pic. Appreciate it. Windows down sounds awesome and may not want to roll them up even in the winter. Would like it a tad quieter with windows up as there's a little bit of bass around 1800-2000 rpms but that's when I'm holding it there so tips may help a bit as you pointed out. At usually cruising speed of 1200-1500 rpms it's almost stock.

Going to see how they look as is before my guy tack welds it and then I’ll decide to trim or not. Most likely not as I think yours is a good look. They already shipped from Wesdon.

I have the AirAid intake also and experimented with the stock intake for comparison and preferred the stock intake in my case as that did change the interior sound.

Overall pleased with the exhaust and Borla has done a great job giving the V6 some love.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts